Help I'm new to keto

immuffinlove
immuffinlove Posts: 2 Member
hi can anyone help I'm new to keto and wondered if I use this app for my total carbs or do I have to work out net carbs instead?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Try doing a search for keto groups or threads, or just do a search for net carbs. I'm afraid I can't help with that.

Good luck with your journey!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I don’t do Keto but I’m fairly sure you’d have to subtract the fibre number from the total carbs on your nutrition numbers to get the net carbs. MFP doesn’t do this for you.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    That's right, MPF doesn't do it for you, but my advice is don't overly stress about tracking them. Just eat keto-friendly foods and you're good - animal protein and veggies that grow above the ground, some nuts & dairy if they don't hinder your progress (they're problematic for some people). If you eat like that, it's VERY difficult to go above the 20 g net carbs. I recommend the website Diet Doctor. Lots of useful info in there
  • Racegyrl
    Racegyrl Posts: 1 Member
    You need to set you macros to show carbs, fiber, and protein or fat. (I attached a pic) then you need to change your nutrient dashboard to have fiber goal of 0. Then as you track you subtract your fiber from your carbs and the result is your net carbs which is all that matters. So in my picture I am 5 carbs over my set goal (20 or 25g I don't remember what I did) 20g is the fail safe number to get into/stay in ketosis. It actually varies person to person for various reasons.
    If you aren't experienced with truly understanding macros, portions and reading labels you should absolutely track and weigh everything for awhile. It is VERY easy to go over 20g of net carbs a day. Once you learn the foods because you are tracking them then you could probably do keto a little more freely. But if you are looking for the 2-4lbs a week with exercise, I highly suggest weighing and tracking for a while.
  • LindaNassar2016
    LindaNassar2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Please keep in mind that in Australia the dietary fibre is already deducted from the carbs so the carb value is the one you look at. You only deduct the fibre from the carb total.

- American labels show total carbs and you need to work out the net carbs by deducted the fiber.
    - Aussie labels have already worked it out on the label unless it is a sub heading under Carbohydrates.