You have your main protein picked out, what do you pair with it to complete your meal?

THarper1124
THarper1124 Posts: 3 Member
So I’m trying to meal prep this week and we usually eat chicken, turkey or a lean beef as a main course in our meals. I’m looking to mix up the side dish I usually prepare with those. Most days it’s a cauliflower rice, white or brown rice. Does anyone have any other suggestions they can help me out with? Thank you and I appreciate the feedback. 🤙

Replies

• tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,403 Member
    I usually add a salad or a steamed veggies such as steamed broccoli as sides. Sometimes roasted red potatoes as the higher carb item instead of the rice.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    When I grocery shop I tend to buy a good amount of vegetables, so my go to sides could be two vegetables. I run either or on stir fries because I prefer my veggies pretty plan - olive oil and pepper or a little salted butter. For some of us we are so trained to have a side dish (I am not saying that is bad thing) but one or two veggies can work. I also like roasted sweet potatoes, boiled potatoes and some rice with mushrooms and onions. I recently added quinoa and beans to my diet.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Sugar snap peas, steamed

Baked sweet potato

Grits

Roasted veggies

Asparagus

Broccoli, raw or steamed

Potato salad
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited August 2019
    Broccoli
    Romaine lettuce with spinach mix
    Black Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Green Beans
    Zucchini / yellow squash
    Asparagus
    Sweet Potato
    Stir fry veggies
    Peas
    Corn on the cob
    Cucumber salad with onion and tomato
    to name a few// and I also do the cauliflower rice with salsa on top
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm going to repeat some of what others have said because it's too hard not to.

Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Couscous
    Pita (preferably homemade - they're pretty quick compared to other breads)
    Tabouli
    Carrots
    Asparagus
    Yam
    Peas
    Corn
    Risotto
    Yams/sweet potatoes
    A salad of some sort - not romain based (I do like protein on salads)
    Black beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Wilted spinach
    Kimchi
    Various sorts of banchan
    Various grains (including polenta and farro)
    Sticky rice (aka glutinous rice)
    Focaccia
    Beets
    Winter squash

I prefer to roast most of the vegetables listed but will eat some of the steamed or sauteed as well. This evening I had grilled chicken with corn, shishito peppers, tabouli, and pita bread
  • THarper1124
    THarper1124 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate the feedback from the community.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I often just do protein, lots of veggies, and sauce or seasoning of some kind. We don't necessarily have a carb with dinner...although we do have dessert :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Oven roasted veggies are my go to.
    Changing up veggies and spices and/or herbs. I never get tired of it. During fall and winter, we have baked acorn squash a lot.
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sauteed zucchini slices with a nice crispy browned sear on each side is a really nice simple side dish. You can toss with a little hoisin/sambal/sesame oil or a vinaigrette if you want stronger flavor to compliment your protein of choice.

Broccoli roasted crispy in olive oil and sea salt with a squeeze of lemon over it at the very end is like vegetable crack.

I don't usually find rice to be worth the calories versus a nice pile of smartly cooked veggies
  • coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    What type of herbs or spices do you all put on your roasted veggies?
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member

I usually just add salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    All of the above, and I also love roasted spiralized sweet potatoes sprinkled with smoked paprika. Soooo good.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Typically just salt and pepper, sometimes I'll use goya's adobo seasoning (the one that is essentially salt, black pepper, garlic, and oregano) but I don't find roasted vegetables need a lot of complex seasoning. That's despite my very well stocked spice cabinet
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    My typical vegetable pairings.

Very lean protein such as white fish: earthy veg such as roast asparagus, roast squash, sauteed spinach
    Quite lean such as chicken or turkey breast: roast broccoli, roast carrots with maple syrup and mustard, roast cauliflower or broccoli
    Sweetish fatty protein such as duck: braised red cabbage, sauteed green cabbage
    Rich protein such as steak, lamb chops, chicken thighs: roast chicory, roast tomato, grilled courgette or aubergine, roast red bell peppers
    Fatty protein such as pork sausage, shoulder or belly: apple sauce, boiled carrots, sauerkraut, cabbage
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    I use salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes a lot. Also Mrs Dash blends and Italian blends. Dill.
    I cut the veggies similar size, place in a gallon zip loc bag, add 1 tbsp oil, spices, mix well. Roast on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Parchment is a wonderful product. No sticking and makes clean up a breeze.
    My best find this year is flake sea salt. It’s great on everything, and you don’t need much.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    The basic that many members have shared, only I prefer the lemon pepper flavour. Alternatively, I would herb or spice it up depending on the country's cuisine I am trying to table that night.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Grilled veggies, oh yes
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    - Corn on the cob plus another veggie or salad
    - Whole wheat rotini pasta with a bit of margarine and parmesan cheese, plus a veggie or salad
    - Fajitas plus a salad
    - Tuscan pasta salad with the chicken added to it
    - Quinoa salad (quinoa with a bunch of veggies and spices plus a dressing) with the chicken added to it