Favourite food you've discovered recently

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have been eating Siggis brand. I find mine at Publix and I see flavored in the other store I shop but they don't carry the plain.

I have no idea if yogurt is really that good for me or not. It is one of those things I have come to believe that I have never questioned. I am skeptical about probiotic and prebiotic food actually doing anything for your gut bacteria. It has not been conclusively confirmed by science but I see no harm in sprinkling some into my week just in case. I am not going to force anything down but if I can find a way to make it work... why not.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm already a yogurt fan, I'm just looking for something with a bit lower amount of sugar in it. I'll have to just spend some time in that aisle next time I'm at the store and hope there's a better, non-Greek option.

...somehow I completely skimmed over the fact that you were talking about unflavored yogurt. Maybe that's the way I should go instead of being lazy and taking whatever strawberry flavor I'm offered... get some real strawberries in there instead.
  • NovusDies
    I don't remember what prompted me to start heating the fruit. I have been doing it for a couple of months now though. I use a banana and blueberries in mine. I heat the banana for 30 seconds, add the blueberries, and heat for another minute. I add the yogurt once it is done. The banana is mushy so it blends in really nicely and the blueberries get warm, sweet, and provide some liquid. It does make the final deal kind of soupy but I like it.

I have done it with strawberries (heated) too. They were much better to me that way.
  • NovusDies
    Roasted Seaweed Snacks - Seaweed is one of the stronger flavors in sushi rolls which I love. Sushi is not satiating to me and the calories add up inexplicably fast (I mean how is that possible) so I have to save it for relaxed eating days. The snacks help soothe the angry sushi lover in me.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Skyr yogurt is really good. It's super thick like greek but not as tart I find. I buy the plain skyr and use it in place of sour cream... loads more protein.
  • kosseychick
    Recently I've been making a black bean soup with a Mexican flare to it. I've tried to incorporate meatless meals a few days a week and this fits the bill:).. high fibre and decent protein.
  • NovusDies
    I have done meatless days for years. I love vegetarian meals and I like to push myself to learn new things and eat new ways. I will never be full-time but part-time is a nice change of pace.

I do a vegetarian chili quite often.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    @kosseychick don’t suppose you have a recipe?? I’m veggie and always looking for ways to get better protein lol
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    I'm already a yogurt fan, I'm just looking for something with a bit lower amount of sugar in it. I'll have to just spend some time in that aisle next time I'm at the store and hope there's a better, non-Greek option.

...somehow I completely skimmed over the fact that you were talking about unflavored yogurt. Maybe that's the way I should go instead of being lazy and taking whatever strawberry flavor I'm offered... get some real strawberries in there instead.

I ea
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey wrote: »
    merph518 wrote: »

I ea

I eat dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt, comes in a purple container. That with frozen fruit in it makes a good break time snack. Usually my ratio is 200g of fruit to 100g of yogurt.
  • jjlewey
    I guess I should add, i put it in my lunch box so the fruit is not frozen by the time i eat it. When I am making for at home I nuke fruit to thaw first.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    So today I discovered something I don’t like anymore... oranges. Bit gutted actually
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Chai black rice. So good! Got it as breakfast at the Farmers market and now slowcook it for my son most weeks. I have it once for a treat but it's calorie heavy. Black rice, chai tea, coconut milk and water. Slowcooked overnight. He has it with a banana and yoghurt. The black rice is meant to be full of antioxidants and fibre.
  • NovusDies
    I know I already mentioned my smoker but this last weekend was the first time I have used it in about 6 weeks. I smoked 1lb of trout, 1.25lb of catfish, and a little over 2 pounds of cod. That is about 5 days worth for me. It is such a nice change of pace and it packs in a big flavor for no additional calories. I :love: smoked seafood.

• kosseychick
    @NovusDies ... sounds yummy.. growing up my folks used to smoke wild salmon and then can it... it's probably one of my favorite foods stemming from my childhood.. yummm
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Discovered a yummy Sriracha at the Farmers market. So much flavour! Had it on a vegetarian flat bread with pumpkin, bell peppers, courgettes and aubergines. So good! Could have done with some of that smoked fish @NovusDies though.
  • jjlewey
    @NovusDies I guess I need to start eating more fish. I eat tuna a couple of days a week for lunch at work, but rarely eat fish other than that. I am not big on seafood, but do like alot of kinds of fish. Kinda funny how in my mind i draw a distinction between the 2.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    @NovusDies I guess I need to start eating more fish. I eat tuna a couple of days a week for lunch at work, but rarely eat fish other than that. I am not big on seafood, but do like alot of kinds of fish. Kinda funny how in my mind i draw a distinction between the 2.

Fish is not the go-to protein for most people I know. My wife doesn't find my way of eating sustainable. She tolerates fish a few times a week for her omega-3 quota but otherwise she eats more chicken. I like dark meat chicken okay but when I need to eat leaner protein I wouldn't find chicken breast to be sustainable. I found my lane and it is a little pricey because I live in a landlocked area but I am investing in my health.

The great thing about losing weight is that it is healthy all by itself. I have settled in to the 80/20 rule myself because this is so long term it seemed wise but I started probably at 40/60 and just kept adjusting things over time. When you start really large it is probably common to think that you don't want to lose all that weight and something else get you hence 80 percent nutritionally dense foods and 20 percent treat foods. I don't actually break it down like that it is just a mindset.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I made the most delicious chicken salad for lunch today...sometimes when we are trying to lose weight and eat healthy,we forget that we can still enjoy our favorite foods!.....I used 3 ounces of cooked diced skinless chicken breast,2T of sweet pickle relish,2T of Hellman’s lite mayo,2T diced onion,2 T diced celery, salt and pepper...mixed it all together and had some on a sandwich and the rest on sliced tomatoes....very simple to make but very filling and it hit the spot!

• NovusDies
    I made the most delicious chicken salad for lunch today...sometimes when we are trying to lose weight and eat healthy,we forget that we can still enjoy our favorite foods!.....I used 3 ounces of cooked diced skinless chicken breast,2T of sweet pickle relish,2T of Hellman’s lite mayo,2T diced onion,2 T diced celery, salt and pepper...mixed it all together and had some on a sandwich and the rest on sliced tomatoes....very simple to make but very filling and it hit the spot!

Now I want some!