Weekend Sabotage!

Options
Hi team! I’m killing my workouts and am damn near perfect on my nutrition during the week. Then the weekend hits and BAM I sabotage myself. I have a very social life with friends and family and admittedly drink alcohol when I’m hanging. I’m carrying 50lbs of fat in my mid section and need support/help to make progress.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You can have a very active social life without alcohol. The problem isn't just the calories in the alcohol, but also the impaired judgement that drinking can bring with it.

Plan actual activities with your friends and family.

You could also save a few calories during the week to let loose within defined limits on the weekends.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't about working out, nutrition, or whether or not you drink alcohol. Those things are relevant to general health and fitness.

Weight loss is about consistently eating fewer calories than your body burns. You can budget your calories for larger meals and/or drinks on the weekend if you want to indulge in those things.
  • mk123456001
    mk123456001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bank calories during the week knowing I'm going to go over my limit by at least 1k Friday and Saturday. Since I started 100+ days ago I have not gone more than 4 days straight without going over my calorie limit. Still managed to shed 20lbs so far.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Make your health and well-being a priority every day of the week, not just Monday through Friday.

Is your ultimate weight goal worth more than alcohol to you?
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Drink hard liquor like whiskey or vodka. Straight or mix with diet soda.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Hi team! I’m killing my workouts and am damn near perfect on my nutrition during the week. Then the weekend hits and BAM I sabotage myself. I have a very social life with friends and family and admittedly drink alcohol when I’m hanging. I’m carrying 50lbs of fat in my mid section and need support/help to make progress.

Hmm. Nowhere did you mention calories, which is the key variable for dealing with that 50lbs of fat. I hope you're tracking them? If so, it's all about budgeting them. Using more of them on the weekend, and some of them on alcohol, is workable, within reason. (Clearly, you don't want to be cutting so far during the week that you have to white-knuckle hunger pangs, or consuming so much alcohol or non-nutrient-dense treat foods on the weekend that you don't get good overall nutrition in your week.)

Personally, I don't consider "sabotage" a useful concept, in the weight management context. Planning and managing so that one gets a good, happy balance of calories, nutrition, exercise, tastiness, social engagement, and practicality . . . that's a good plan. Clearly, if you want change (50 fewer pounds), you'll need to make change for yourself, but you get to choose the tradeoffs.

I'm heading into year 4 of maintenance, after losing about 50 pounds at age 59-60, and am also quite active and nutrition-focused. I eat somewhat under maintenance calories most days in order to have very indulgent days (including alcohol, especially craft beer ;) ) occasionally, because that's how I enjoy organizing my life.

I'd suggest rethinking yourself from a "virtue and sin, sabotage and recovery" model of eating and activity, to a planning and managing kind of focus with a little less drama involved. But maybe that's just me: Dang, I hate drama. ;)

Best wishes! :flowerforyou: