It's close enough to Halloween right?

udpp8i7eviwd.jpg

My birthday wooooo! 💀👻🎃🕸🕷
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Teenybudda wrote: »
    ynmt3313y3vz.jpg
    rlixme4br6qg.jpg

So I was going for a walk earlier and came across this huge really cool slug (finger for scale)
    And I noticed it had a hole in the side of its head. Had a Google to find out what it was and turns out it's a nose which can be opened and closed at will.

That is a very interesting looking slug! 🤓😀
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    egg8c60tpwys.jpg
  • cee134
    6buwf7tnu021.jpg

Went back to the castle today. Didn't have my kid with me so figured I'd get a better look around and bought a tour book.
    Here's some mediaeval graffiti, depicting the crucifixion and some severed heads.

I always go down a rabbit hole when I research this castle. So much has happened to it.

20xin6bi1xwh.png
  • Teenybudda
    Teenybudda Posts: 206 Member
    edited August 2019
    cee134 wrote: »
    6buwf7tnu021.jpg

Went back to the castle today. Didn't have my kid with me so figured I'd get a better look around and bought a tour book.
    Here's some mediaeval graffiti, depicting the crucifixion and some severed heads.

I always go down a rabbit hole when I research this castle. So much has happened to it.

20xin6bi1xwh.png

Cool! Such brutal times back then 😱

The graffiti above was from the inside window in the grey mares tail tower.

Which is this thing. The markings were inside the window with the metal grid cover.
    nw2fwwtzdic2.jpg

It had several floors, you can see where the floor boards wpuld have been and it had a couple of fire places built into the walls.
    They say they're not sure where it got it's name from but next to it was a stable so my guess is that they named it that because of the stable next door?
    Would make sense
  • cee134
    edited August 2019
    cee134 wrote: »
    6buwf7tnu021.jpg

20xin6bi1xwh.png

Cool! Such brutal times back then 😱

The graffiti above was from the inside window in the grey mares tail tower.

Which is this thing. The markings were inside the window with the metal grid cover.
    nw2fwwtzdic2.jpg

It had several floors, you can see where the floor boards wpuld have been and it had a couple of fire places built into the walls.
    They say they're not sure where it got it's name from but next to it was a stable so my guess is that they named it that because of the stable next door?
    Would make sense

6vcapoidc3k1.jpg
    7h6lbcefezwj.jpg
    ksao7iwugpmi.jpg

Grey Mare's Tail | National Trust for Scotland and Loch Skeen in Scotland. As you know this castle bordered Scotland. And the Percy Family had a lot of influence in the North. Also, the castle is also almost parallel and on the opposite side of the island as the water fall. So that, plus the stables, plus the color of the tower, and maybe someone being punny may be how they named it.

jc1q61564jo9.jpg
    pcqtw5hwzui7.jpg

• cee134
    edited August 2019
    Warkworth Castle

g9e5a5fjxr82.png
  • Teenybudda
    edited August 2019
    9xlbkv1yldxa.jpg

Sorry, thats little stair tower. This is the grey mares tail tower.

Turns out it was a brewhouse/bake house!
    Which kinda makes sense because it was oddly shaped inside, you can tell there would have been 2 floors but each room would have been tiny.
  • Teenybudda
    uu6erx8slopo.jpg

From my guide book 😆
  • Teenybudda
    edited August 2019
    eqod6cc8d46y.jpg

Green is little stair tower, and orange is the lion tower (from the picture that had the lion on the front that posted the other day) not much of it stands now.
    As grand as the main hall was, I found this part more interesting.
  • Teenybudda
    edited August 2019
    I didnt get the little stair tower in the shot but it's just next to the lion tower.

j8nuvz7nwlv1.jpg
  • cee134
    I didnt get the little stair tower in the shot but it's just next to the lion tower.

j8nuvz7nwlv1.jpg

Just think, that castle successfully held off at least 2 sieges and was unsuccessful to another siege were they used cannons.
  • cee134
    Lake Louise

s1gcwd7iz03t.jpg
  • cee134
    Blue lava erupting from the Kawah Ijen volcano in Indonesia. The mountain contains large amounts of pure sulfur, which emit icy violet colors as it burns.

rrtsaqexy6xw.png

• cee134
    3kwqv5xdfnmx.jpg