Confused About Macros

I am new to keeping up with my macros. It’s really confusing to me. I’m trying to lose 20 pounds and trying to keep up with macros. Any suggestions or helpful advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I don't really pay much attention to my macros, although I do acknowledge them.

For me, it's all about staying in a calorie deficit.

If I had a medical issue that required a closer watch of my macros, I would be more vigilant.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You food diary tells you the number of calories to eat as well as the number of each of the 3 macros you should try to get. The default value is 50% carbs, with fat and protein splitting the remainder. Many people choose to adjust their macros to meet a variety of nutrition goals.

It is important to remember that you need plenty of protein to maintain your lean tissue mass as you lose weight.
    It is important to remember that you need plenty of fat to maintain your nervous system and hormones as you lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    Calories rule for weight loss.

Nutrition (macros, micros) are important for health, but as humans are highly adaptive omnivores, this is something you can work at gradually.

Think about using your food diary actively, over time: Review it every few days; look at what foods "cost" you (relatively) lots of calories but don't help you feel full, or contribute to your nutrition or happiness; reduce those in favor of other foods you enjoy that better help you meet your goals.

If you'd like a more detailed description of how to remodel your eating over time, in a positive direction, check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Best wishes!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    My advice is to ask yourself why you're tracking macros. Some people have valid performance or medical reasons but if there's no compelling reason then perhaps you're just complicating matters unnecessarily.