Bench press

2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Unless there's an injury which impairs it, everyone who lifts will do the BP because it's 1 of the "Big 4" lifts that form the basis of all lifting routines. The other 3 are the DL, SQT & OHP.
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    If you don't have a spotter or safety bars in a rack then I'd bench without collars so you can dump the weight if you need to. Drop one side first then the other - not pretty but you won't get crushed ! That will only take you so far in weight though - you definitely need some kind of get out of jail at heavier weights.

In terms of programming, I'd jump on a full body program before moving to any kind of split such as upper/lower, push/pull/legs or per body part.

(I'm going to make the assumption that muscularity as well as strength is the goal here).

I'm a huge, huge fan of mastering a weight and earning the right to add more plates. It's not all abut adding weight to the bar, progressive overload comes in other ways, for instance you could do:

Wk 1 - 10 touch and go reps at a weight where last rep is all out
    Wk 2 - as many reps as you can do with a definite but not timed pause at the bottom - you might get 8
    Wk3 - as Wk2 and you might get 10
    Wk4 - as many reps with a 1 or 2 second pause - again you might get 8
    Wk5 - as Wk4 and you might get 10
    Wk6 - 2 second eccentric/lowering touch and go reps might get 10 straight off the bat
    Wk7 - 2 second lowering AND a pause - might be back down to 8
    Wk8 - As Wk7 back to 10
    Wk9 - 2 second lower, 5 second pause on first rep, rest reps 1-2 second pause, might be back to 8
    Wk10 - as Wk9 back to 10 reps again

Let's assume all reps are locked out - if you do that all over again without locking out at the top that gives you 20 weeks where you are progressively overloading the muscle BUT you are also mastering the movement and learning how to feel the muscle. (I'm always a bit wary of locking out because of joints though so maybe 10 weeks not fully locked out is better).

If you get to the last week and can do 10 solid reps where it's a 2 second eccentric, 5 second pause, for first rep and then 2 second eceentric and 1-2 second pause for remainng 9 reps and they are with solid form and more importantly you feel every single one then I'd say you've earned the right to add plates. Again I'm making a huge assumption that you early in your training so you may find you're progressing much more quickly that's all good and get some more weight on there - but once you have master it and earn the next plates. On the flip side don't sandbag to prolong the usage of a given weight.

Add in an overhead press, a row, a pull/chin up, a squat, a deadlift/RDL, dips and maybe a curl and you're golden for probably 12 months maybe even 2 years. If you can learn all those and really feel what muscles do, you are well on the way.

Hope that helps and good luck.

• chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    pdmatthews wrote: »
    If you don't have a spotter or safety bars in a rack then I'd bench without collars so you can dump the weight if you need to. Drop one side first then the other - not pretty but you won't get crushed ! That will only take you so far in weight though - you definitely need some kind of get out of jail at heavier weights.

In terms of programming, I'd jump on a full body program before moving to any kind of split such as upper/lower, push/pull/legs or per body part.

(I'm going to make the assumption that muscularity as well as strength is the goal here).

I'm a huge, huge fan of mastering a weight and earning the right to add more plates. It's not all abut adding weight to the bar, progressive overload comes in other ways, for instance you could do:

Wk 2 - as many reps as you can do with a definite but not timed pause at the bottom - you might get 8
    Wk6 - 2 second eccentric/lowering touch and go reps might get 10 straight off the bat
    Wk8 - As Wk7 back to 10
    Wk9 - 2 second lower, 5 second pause on first rep, rest reps 1-2 second pause, might be back to 8

Let's assume all reps are locked out - if you do that all over again without locking out at the top that gives you 20 weeks where you are progressively overloading the muscle BUT you are also mastering the movement and learning how to feel the muscle. (I'm always a bit wary of locking out because of joints though so maybe 10 weeks not fully locked out is better).

If you get to the last week and can do 10 solid reps where it's a 2 second eccentric, 5 second pause, for first rep and then 2 second eceentric and 1-2 second pause for remainng 9 reps and they are with solid form and more importantly you feel every single one then I'd say you've earned the right to add plates. Again I'm making a huge assumption that you early in your training so you may find you're progressing much more quickly that's all good and get some more weight on there - but once you have master it and earn the next plates. On the flip side don't sandbag to prolong the usage of a given weight.

Add in an overhead press, a row, a pull/chin up, a squat, a deadlift/RDL, dips and maybe a curl and you're golden for probably 12 months maybe even 2 years. If you can learn all those and really feel what muscles do, you are well on the way.

So far mate that’s the best advice I’ve had. I used to do a whole body programme but got board of switching every between exercises every 6 weeks. My initial goal when I started was to lose weight through cardio and weights. I’ve now lost 2st 7lbs and was thinking about adding a bit of muscle if I can. Thanks for the advice. It’s helped a lot.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member

Wk8 - As Wk7 back to 10

This is great advice. I have to admit, bench presses are my “weakest” movement, but I’m slowly and progressively adding on more when I feel that it’s time.
  • pdmatthews
    Thanks very much happy to help 😀
  • eliris1
    eliris1 Posts: 1 Member
    I suggest you bench in the power rack. It is much safer and gives you that psychological boost that you have something to catch the bar if you fail. Sometimes you can bench much more than you think your mind just makes you choose the safer option by reducing weight.
  • chrishamilton894

I listened to your advice, I did chest and back today. When I hit the bench press I was ready. I managed all 10 reps on each set.

Do you mind if I add you as a friend?

• nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2019
    Don't know if it would interest you but this was my progression on returning to the gym at age 53 having set myself a goal of returning to benching my body weight (approx 172lbs at that time) and benching x3 a week....

Feb - 139lb
    Mar - 161lb
    Apr - 174lb
    Jul - 186lb
    Sep - 190lb
    Nov - 220lb

The big jump from Sept to Nov was from changing my technique from flat back to pinched in shoulder blades/back arch (as per the video tutorial I alluded to earlier).

Wow, that looks like insanely fast progression--massive props.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    edited August 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes I’m only training chest once a week. Wednesday is chest, back and abs day.
    Chest routine is,
    Machine bench press,
    32kg 3sets 15 reps
    Pec dec,
    19.1kg 3sets 15 reps
    Bench press
    35kg 3 sets 10 reps
    Dumbbell fly
    7kg 3 sets 15 reps.

After doing the first two exercises my chest is getting pumped. The weight just feels heavy, 35kg feels ok but my strength waivers after 2 sets. Not sure if my technique is wrong? I’ll stick at 35kg for now until I can do more than 10 reps.

If you seriously want to improve your bench press then that is a tiny weekly volume at what seems to be a very low and always the same weight which is unlikely to be the correct intensity.

Is your pec dec more of a priority over your bench? Wondering why you are doing it first?

(If your goal is just to have fun and try a load of different lifts then that's absolutely fine but don't expect the same results as training with a meaningful volume at the correct intensity.)

Don't know if it would interest you but this was my progression on returning to the gym at age 53 having set myself a goal of returning to benching my body weight (approx 172lbs at that time) and benching x3 a week....

Feb - 139lb
    Mar - 161lb
    Apr - 174lb
    Jul - 186lb
    Sep - 190lb
    Nov - 220lb

The big jump from Sept to Nov was from changing my technique from flat back to pinched in shoulder blades/back arch (as per the video tutorial I alluded to earlier).

Man, data like this is kind of my favourite part of weight training. I looked at my own logs after seeing yours and while the initial weight was quite a bit lower, the pace has been similar. Started with my best set being 90 lbs x5, currently at 155 x8, 20 bench sessions total between February 5th and August 13th of this year, chest twice a week. Overall volume has also been increased as I try for consistent sets and more steady weight increases. If i can keep this pace, (hopefully improve on it once I get diet actually at maintainence) I should be well over body weight by the end of this year.

By far my weakest compound lift still, but this is a really positive way to frame it.

temr14vppq9o.png

• pdmatthews

I listened to your advice, I did chest and back today. When I hit the bench press I was ready. I managed all 10 reps on each set.

Do you mind if I add you as a friend?

Great glad you hit your reps. Chest and back is a good combo as they’re opposite muscles.

Please go ahead and add me - I haven’t posted much at all but am getting more involved.

• chrishamilton894
    Depending how I get on in the next few weeks, I’m hoping to increase the weight to 40kg. Big milestone if I can do it. Going to build it up gradually.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    If you're doing 35kg right now you should be able to do 40kg in a few workouts not a few weeks:

workout 1 - 35kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 2 - 37kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 3 - 39kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 4 - 41kg x 3sets x 5reps

and onward and upward...
  • chrishamilton894
    wiigelec wrote: »
    If you're doing 35kg right now you should be able to do 40kg in a few workouts not a few weeks:

workout 1 - 35kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 2 - 37kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 3 - 39kg x 3sets x 5reps
    workout 4 - 41kg x 3sets x 5reps

and onward and upward...

I might surprise myself by going that extra mile and add some plates. The small ones that look like saucers lol
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    in November I maxed with a clean 310lb single at a body weight of 196lbs. I felt great about that. in December I hurt my shoulder working in my garage and didn't bench for 8 months. last week I benched for the first time. I only went to 185lbs to get the feel again. im not sure how I will progress but im going to slowly get the bench back into my routine.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    let's see.... torqued my elbow 6 weeks ago, I've been recovering.....

Warm-up sets starting at 135 LB, then climbing each set up in weight to.....

this weekend.... benching max training weight at 235 LB ( 5 reps / 4 sets )

that's what? 107 KG

or.... 107000000 Milligrams

or 1.07e+11 Micrograms. ( still 4 sets of 5 reps )