In your 60’s

Options

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,257 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello, I really don't want to talk to my husband or other family members about this so I'm sharing it here. I'm providing child care for my 2yr old grandson while our daughter goes to college. She started last week. It's only from 11:30-2 Monday, tuesday & thursday. I work wednesday,saturday & sunday so friday is my only day off. It's not a lot of time & it's actually his nap time BUT I feel SO burned out from having this obligation. I feel SO sluggish when I get home. I like to keep moving and I worked for a lot of years before I got laid off & retired (& now work 12hrs /week) & really don't want this responsibility plus It's my prime time for doing other things I love like volunteering with animal rescue, going to the gym before they get busy, seeing my friend or just doing nothing, which I can't do now. She's going through a divorce so for now the country is paying for her child care & they have a list of facilities. The other 2 kids are in school so it's only him. I hate to put more on her plate but It's really stressing me out having to be there. This is only the second week & I was dreading it all week end & I feel guilty for feeling this way & try to reason with myself how it's only a little bit of time, it's easy, i make a little $, etc, but I really don't want to do this. I may have to tell her

Talk to her tell her how you feel suggest you could do it for a short time but not long term what about her partners mum and dad could they alternate.
  • annliz23
    Options
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Hello, I really don't want to talk to my husband or other family members about this so I'm sharing it here. I'm providing child care for my 2yr old grandson while our daughter goes to college. She started last week. It's only from 11:30-2 Monday, tuesday & thursday. I work wednesday,saturday & sunday so friday is my only day off. It's not a lot of time & it's actually his nap time BUT I feel SO burned out from having this obligation. I feel SO sluggish when I get home. I like to keep moving and I worked for a lot of years before I got laid off & retired (& now work 12hrs /week) & really don't want this responsibility plus It's my prime time for doing other things I love like volunteering with animal rescue, going to the gym before they get busy, seeing my friend or just doing nothing, which I can't do now. She's going through a divorce so for now the country is paying for her child care & they have a list of facilities. The other 2 kids are in school so it's only him. I hate to put more on her plate but It's really stressing me out having to be there. This is only the second week & I was dreading it all week end & I feel guilty for feeling this way & try to reason with myself how it's only a little bit of time, it's easy, i make a little $, etc, but I really don't want to do this. I may have to tell her

Talk to her tell her how you feel suggest you could do it for a short time but not long term what about her partners mum and dad could they alternate.

Both my boys live just down the road from me and pop in constantly I know how you feel as I have my grand children loads it is draining at times and so stressful. X
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt, I can totally understand the predicament you're in although I've never actually been in that situation. I think you should just tell her that it's just a bit too much for you and as long as someone is being paid it doesn't have to be you. I would let her know though that you'd love to spend time with all the grandkids but more at your convenience, if that makes sense and you think she'll understand.

On the other side of the coin, my two grandsons are in CO and I'm in CA and I spend half my life on planes visiting so they know who I am and making sure I have a solid relationship with them. I love babysitting the youngest, he's not 2 yet but to be honest, I'm worn out after a few days.............LOL so I get it!

Just an FYI I'm finally over the Vertigo, it's been at least 36 hours since I had a dizzy spell. I took my dog for a longer walk today and will head back to the gym on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm having a small skin cancer removed on my arm..........born and raised in CA and have spent half my life in a pool or at the beach so I guess it's an occupational hazard!

Hope you all have a great week!

• planj
    planj Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I understand @Evamutt when we get to that point of exhaustion.. it seems like more of a chore that precious time spent together. <3<3 Can you pick one day a week to spend quality time over quaintly time? The other two at a qualified daycare?
  • planj
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sounds like another great week for the over 60 group. Lots of people overcoming diabetes with weight loss and exercise. That must be so encouraging for others facing the same diagnosis.

I was able to overcome high blood pressure through weight loss so that's another exciting outcome for some of us trying to move beyond relying on medications to keep us healthy. I'm happy to say that I am prescription free at 69 and most of my doctors seem surprised by that but can't find anything to prescribe for me. :)

I know a lot of us suffer from osteoarthritis as well and for me the best RX for that is to keep moving. The longer I sit the worse I feel. I found a new recipe for an anti-inflammatory shake I'm going to try once I get over this vertigo and make it back to the gym and I'll share it with all of you. I generally drink a protein shake before my workouts so will try this one and add a little greek yogurt and my organic rice protein. I'm a firm believer in "you are what you eat".

The first 4 ingredients are known as anti-inflammatory foods.

• 1/2 cup pineapple
    • 1/4 tsp. turmeric
    • 1/4 tsp. ginger
    • 1/4 cup frozen papaya
    • coconut water (enough to cover ingredients)
    • honey, as needed
    Combine the pineapple, turmeric, ginger, papaya, coconut water, and honey in a blender. Blend until smooth. I'm not sure a blender will do well with the pineapple but if you have a Ninja type blender that will work!

Hope you all have a great weekend and stay true to your goals but have a little fun in the meantime!

@fitlulu4150 Do you have a particular brand of frozen papaya you use?
  • fitlulu4150
    Options
    @planj. I generally look for frozen fruits with the lowest amount of sugar, or organic, if I can find them. I like the frozen fruit from Sprouts if you have one of those near you.
  • annliz23
    Options
    torijo57 wrote: »
    Hi all , I'm 62 yrs. old and type 2 diabetic . I've decided it's time to get a grip on my health. I've been stressed for years now, I've been the care giver for my ill brother and mom with dementia for 5 yrs. I work and have my own family to care for also. I emotionally broke last November and I'm trying to take care of myself now. I got mom in assisted living and my brother is doing ok for now. On Thurs. I have appt. with my doctor to review my blood work (I'm not expecting my A1C to be good due to prednisone shots for arthritis the last couple months. I'm hoping that counting calories, carbs, I can lose weight and feel better. Looking forward to seeing everyone's success stories. Have a great day ladies

Welcome, its is stressful caring for everone but you need to take care of yourself too, good luck for Thursday.
  • planj
    Options
    @planj. I generally look for frozen fruits with the lowest amount of sugar, or organic, if I can find them. I like the frozen fruit from Sprouts if you have one of those near you.

@fitlulu4150 The only thing I found was ..Welch’s frozen Tropical Blend with pineapples, mangoes, papayas and raspberries. 1 cup is 70 cals, 14 grams of sugar. We do have a Sprouts.. not to close but I will take a look when I can. Thank you!
  • planj
    Options
    torijo57 wrote: »
    Hi all , I'm 62 yrs. old and type 2 diabetic . I've decided it's time to get a grip on my health. I've been stressed for years now, I've been the care giver for my ill brother and mom with dementia for 5 yrs. I work and have my own family to care for also. I emotionally broke last November and I'm trying to take care of myself now. I got mom in assisted living and my brother is doing ok for now. On Thurs. I have appt. with my doctor to review my blood work (I'm not expecting my A1C to be good due to prednisone shots for arthritis the last couple months. I'm hoping that counting calories, carbs, I can lose weight and feel better. Looking forward to seeing everyone's success stories. Have a great day ladies

@torijo57 Best wishes for your upcoming Dr appt!
  • fitlulu4150
    Options
    @planj, you don't have to use frozen papaya, use fresh and either freeze it yourself or add some ice cubes to the mix. Frozen fruit just makes the shake cold. I freeze bananas sometimes too for shakes. Ice cubes just dilute the recipe so use frozen fruit when you can.
  • planj
    Options
    @planj, you don't have to use frozen papaya, use fresh and either freeze it yourself or add some ice cubes to the mix. Frozen fruit just makes the shake cold. I freeze bananas sometimes too for shakes. Ice cubes just dilute the recipe so use frozen fruit when you can.

@fitlulu4150 Thanks for the tips!
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Evamutt, I am there with you! I lost a cat 2 months ago and still miss her terribly, her brother does too. When all the kids are gone from home these furry babies become the kids! So hard to lose them. Really happy for the recovering dog, it make my heart happy for you.
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Megamom and manderson, you two look fantastic! Very inspiring
  • chicki1957
    chicki1957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I’m turning 62 on Saturday!! I’ve been on FP before but my heart wasn’t in it. I’ve been on for a few days now and doing well logging my food and exercise.
    I always ate well during the day but my sweet tooth attacked me at night and I’d polish off a bag of cookies.
    I need to invest in a scale so I can weigh myself weekly!
    Nice to meet everyone
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,313 Member
    Options
    @chicki1957 Welcome back! I have the same problem. I must have something sweet everyday so I decide in the AM what it will be and make everything else fit in.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    Well here is something all of us 60's plus can relate to. Ageism. :( Sigh. Many years ago at work when they were doing our little health thing they used what looked like a game controller to check our body fat and BMI. So a few months later in I think 2012 or so I thought what a cool health gadget and they were not ver expensive so I bought one from Omron. I used it pretty frequently when I was losing in 2017 and now in Maintenance sporadically but when I weigh I like to take BP and other measurements as well. I know this is not the most accurate device but I like it and it does give me data from month to month even if it is not completely dead on like other bf $$$$ tests might be.

So, here is the story. I turned 61 last week and SUnday happened to be a day that I picked to take measurements. I picked up the machine and one of the data points it uses is yes... age. I put in the stats. height weight etc and when I got to the age which read 60 I went to bump it up to 61. I wasnt quite awake I guess but I thought it said 18 instead of 61.... OK - tried again. No mistake. THAT LITTLE JERK of a machine won't go over 60. As if we no longer care about our health anymore.... I was SO MAD... grrrrr....

ANyway, if anyone needs friends - I am a petite gal in maintenance and glad to help out where I can. (5'almost2")

8s5hputph4bg.png
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Can't tell ya'll how much I appreciate your input. I've decided to go ahead & finish this semester of her school then she will have to find someone else. Our dtrs fine with things we don't want to do/too much for us, I just didn't want to put more on her plate, she's done so much for us in the past, she's planing to keep going to school & is now looking for an evening job & childcare too for the 3 of them. She was a stay at home mom for 11yrs when her husband asked her to leave. He doesn't want to see the kids & has stopped giving her any $ 3-4mo ago, he has a different job but we don't know where. Hopefully they can find him for child support. She is 3mo behind on rent & I have days where I'm worried out of my mind & other days where I'm able to give it to God & trust Him. It's so hard seeing your children going through tough times. Her 3 brothers do help her but we can't all support her $ for the long term. She's a wonderful mom, daughter & sister. Her oldest brother is paying for her legal fees, the others chip in for food & we get her items/gas, dog/cat food, soap throughout the month(she's getting public assistance till she gets on her feet but it's not enough to pay rent or buy non food, like toilet paper) but we are living mostly on social security so it's hard. Sorry if I said more than I should, honestly I don't usually share anything so personal & never on facebook or public place but it did feel good to get some of this out of me
  • annliz23
    Options
    Can't tell ya'll how much I appreciate your input. I've decided to go ahead & finish this semester of her school then she will have to find someone else. Our dtrs fine with things we don't want to do/too much for us, I just didn't want to put more on her plate, she's done so much for us in the past, she's planing to keep going to school & is now looking for an evening job & childcare too for the 3 of them. She was a stay at home mom for 11yrs when her husband asked her to leave. He doesn't want to see the kids & has stopped giving her any $ 3-4mo ago, he has a different job but we don't know where. Hopefully they can find him for child support. She is 3mo behind on rent & I have days where I'm worried out of my mind & other days where I'm able to give it to God & trust Him. It's so hard seeing your children going through tough times. Her 3 brothers do help her but we can't all support her $ for the long term. She's a wonderful mom, daughter & sister. Her oldest brother is paying for her legal fees, the others chip in for food & we get her items/gas, dog/cat food, soap throughout the month(she's getting public assistance till she gets on her feet but it's not enough to pay rent or buy non food, like toilet paper) but we are living mostly on social security so it's hard. Sorry if I said more than I should, honestly I don't usually share anything so personal & never on facebook or public place but it did feel good to get some of this out of me

I understand completely I'm the same I dont usually share but since I have retired I have found it's hard keeping it to myself and my husband although lovely doesnt really get stressed, both my boys are wonderful but always in debt both have left and come home then left again now have children and its a constant battle to juggle finances to keep them afloat and my pension is only small. Sometimes it's good to get things out in the open and share, I am always here for you f you need to. I also believe that God willing things will improve. Take care