Yay for Menopause

I'm 54 years old. I'm solidly in perimenopause. I've been 11 months without a period - so, 1 month away from official, full-on menopause.

(Interestingly, my 12 year old twins just started menses last month. But I digress! :) )

I've been lamenting the fading of youth: the feeling of being invisible.... of hating my fuller mid-section.... struggling to find (or alter) jeans to fit my larger waist that don't bag in the hips & legs.... the vigilance to maintain or increase my NEAT so as to maintain my weight.... getting off my *kitten* to lift the weights when all I wanna do is binge-watch Netflix on the treddy... Of being the grandmother-aged mother of middle school girls. (Seriously. Them other mom's musta birthed when they were 12! And don't get me started on the teachers that look like they're students - amiright?!)

...and where did THAT hair come from?!

I could go on.

However...

It just occurred to me. I'm not "afflicted" with menopause. Oh no. I've reached a wonderful milestone!

I'm 54 years old. I'm pretty darned healthy overall. I've maintained my weight for 3 years now, and am at a lower weight than I was as a teenager. I haven't had an acne outbreak in over a year! (used to suffer major acne issues). I DON'T HAVE A PERIOD ANYMORE. No more "feminine products" or unfortunate accidents! (Now my daughters' bailiwick ;) ) And best of all, I don't have to give a fork what I wear, do, or say - as long as I'm not hurting anybody in the process! You're embarrassed by mommy's singing in public? Too bad!

Peace out.

Replies

• krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Aw, sending you good vibes, @tcunbeliever. Hormones can be such a *kitten*!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    You have a really great outlook!! I've been in peri for about 3 years now. And everytime I get excited because I haven't had a period in months, boom - period from hell. I cannot wait for this to be over.

Otoh, these hot flashes are a nightmare. I'm noticing also kinds of trends with them as well. I get a hot flash when there's stress and I get one when my husband walks into the room. WTH? And my black cohosh seems to be less effective than the last time.

Anyways, I also have a 12 year old daughter who will get her period anytime now. It's so interesting for her to be moving into this phase while I'm moving out of it.

I think one thing we can all be excited about is the day we no longer bleed several days each month. Hooray for menopause!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I'm with you - 54 years old here too. Life is good!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    @MostlyWater - life IS good! :)

@ethelsmommy - Yeah, my husband's look is more "horrified". Perhaps he'll work his way up to "faraway"... once he accepts that this is really happening!
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    I do NOT miss those painful, inconvenient periods AT ALL!! I do get hot flashes, but I’ll take them anytime over periods :)

Thanks for the great post!!! Love your perspective.... now what to do about the vag dryness?????
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    I'm gonna need someone to send me a postcard or something to give me a heads up that menopause is arriving. I had a uterine ablation 4+ years ago, so I don't get periods anymore. Are hot flashes going to be the first sign? Or something else? I'm 46, so I'm thinking it's not too many years away at this point.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    I'm gonna need someone to send me a postcard or something to give me a heads up that menopause is arriving. I had a uterine ablation 4+ years ago, so I don't get periods anymore. Are hot flashes going to be the first sign? Or something else? I'm 46, so I'm thinking it's not too many years away at this point.

I wonder about this too as I have a Mirena IUD and haven't had a period for 3 years. I'm 44 and I still have several more years with the device in place so I feel there's a decent chance of it starting during this time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member

Maybe ask if your doctor will run the blood tests for it once in a while?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    My last three years I would bleed for one day a year, for about an hour or less. I finally finished at 52. Hot flashes aren't inevitable. I never really had them. At best I'd get an occasional warm flash, where I'd ask, "Is it warm in here?" and then I'd go on with what I was doing and forget about it. My mother also had an easy menopause so I wasn't surprised.