Can you get any health problems from lifting weights?

Okay so I’m new to weight lifting and i want to get toned. I’m wat u call skinny fat. I read some articles that lifting weights can cause problems like hernia and other ones. I’m a girl and 19 years old. I’m now bit scared to continue lifting weights. Please advice me x

Thank u!

Replies

• SSFx10
    SSFx10 Posts: 4 Member
    You're fine. You aren't lifting heavy enough to give yourself a hernia, I assume.

I'm a 44 year old female. I deadlift 385 pounds, and haven't had any issues.

Omggg wow!!!!! That’s amazing. Thanks
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    You're fine. You aren't lifting heavy enough to give yourself a hernia, I assume.

You are my goal in life 385...your everything.

To the OP you aren't lifting that heavy and unless your really about the fit life you will be fine. Ensure you have good form bc that can cause issues but aside from that no.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I would advise getting professional training when first starting out
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    It depends on your lifting really. If you are lifting too much you can injure yourself. So just don't overdue it and start with lighter weights and work your way up if you need to. Always maintain proper form as well. You can pull a muscle very easily if you aren't lifting correctly.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    It depends on your lifting really. If you are lifting too much you can injure yourself. So just don't overdue it and start with lighter weights and work your way up if you need to. Always maintain proper form as well. You can pull a muscle very easily if you aren't lifting correctly.

^^This. I have strained/pulled muscles lifting what most people consider VERY light weight, but it was too heavy for me and I wasn’t using good form. I didn’t realize I’d done anything until the day after, and then I was sidelined from lifting for 2 months.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited August 2019
    Get someone to show you the correct form, start out light and progress as you feel able to, and you'll be absolutely fine.

I've injured myself with weights on multiple occasions, entirely by tripping over the bar, dropping the plate on my foot, or getting a skin pinch putting the plate on the bar.

I've also injured myself hiking (crossing a slope down to the left for the third time in a hill walk properly knackered my dodgy ankle), cycling (who put that tree root there?) and doing yoga (yes, you CAN stand on your own toes while going into downward dog a bit too quickly).

You'll be fine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    PS a "hernia" is when something slips out of place, in this context one of the discs in your spine. Proper form keeps you from loading your spine in a way that can cause this.

Your core muscles are there to protect your spine. Not just when you lift but in life. People get hernias moving furniture, even coughing sometimes (surprised me, but it's true, you can google it). Lifting will improve your core muscles which will help protect you in the long run.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You're awesome!!!

I'm a 55 year old female and I've been lifting for the past 4 years or so. I've never injured myself lifting because I pay careful attention to form. There are definitely wrong ways to perform lifts.

I've injured myself quite badly painting my living room and shoveling snow however. I think home maintenance is more dangerous, lol.

Oh yes, I've hurt my knees painting my living room (should have gotten a stepladder rather than jumping on and off a piece of furniture) and hurt my back shoveling.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    edited August 2019
    Agree with those who advised if you are new to lifting to work with a trainer until you are sure you are using proper form. *Most* weight lifting injuries I've seen (except in extreme cases or when a pre-existing injury was present) were from poor form or doing too much, too soon, too quickly.

The only "injury" I've had weight lifting was setting a weight down on a toe (go figure) or when I aggravated an already problematic shoulder by pushing it too hard, too soon, but even that I can avoid if I am mindful of that and take my time on increasing weights/reps with exercises that work that shoulder in certain directions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You're awesome!!!

I'm a 55 year old female and I've been lifting for the past 4 years or so. I've never injured myself lifting because I pay careful attention to form. There are definitely wrong ways to perform lifts.

I've injured myself quite badly painting my living room and shoveling snow however. I think home maintenance is more dangerous, lol.

I permanently screwed my ankles walking, so yeah...

OP, take it slowly and gradually, focus on developing proper form, don't overtrain, and you should be fine.
  • SSFx10
    SSFx10 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies!