Hair update

tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
So I started using Aveda's shampoo, conditioner, and scalp system for thinning hair right after Christmas. At first I thought it was doing nothing, but with continued use, I do think that less hair is falling out. It doesn't grow hair, but it's supposed to help with breakage and falling out. I'm going to finish this batch and then I have to decide if it's doing enough to justify the price. It's more than I have ever paid for hair products!

Replies

• MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,404 Member
    I started using the Pura d’or professional grade system around the same time as you started Aveda. It’s for thinning and breakage, too, and I think it’s working but I don’t know. My doc suggested minoxidil too and I’ve been using that on my part and front thinning areas. I feel so self conscious about it, but try not to worry too much. Such is life...
  • tmbg1
    I have always had great hair so this is a gut punch to my self esteem. I am ordering one more round of the aveda because I do think it is working a little bit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    So sorry you're having to deal with this crap.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    I'm wondering about the hair thinning thing: I used to have super thick hair but it thinned right after I gave birth (18 years ago). It also was stick straight before, but natural waves after. No noticeable change since. In fact the past year or so my hair's gotten a little bit thicker if anything.

I'm curious, has anybody had changes to your hair non-menopause-related at other times in your life?
  • tmbg1
    My hair also thinned after having each of my kids but it got thick again after about a year
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    My hair has gotten thicker since using MSM for my carpal tunnel...it also got WAY thicker with each pregnancy and fell out back to normal after, but I think that's a pretty common change.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Mine seems to be thinning but my hairdresser doesn't think I'm losing more than is normal. I just know I could barely get two wraps with a hair tie and now it's three. I guess it could be the layers? It is one of my worries because my hair has been my ONE thing that I really loved!

I'm glad the products seem to be working for you!
  • tmbg1
    I started using the Pura d’or professional grade system around the same time as you started Aveda. It’s for thinning and breakage, too, and I think it’s working but I don’t know. My doc suggested minoxidil too and I’ve been using that on my part and front thinning areas. I feel so self conscious about it, but try not to worry too much. Such is life...

How is the Pura dor working? It's not as expensive as Aveda and I'm thinking about trying it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Btw, I'm re-listening to John Lee's "What your doctor might not tell you about menopause" book and there's a section on hair loss and which hormones are responsible. Might be worth a glance at the library.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,404 Member
    The Pura d or seems to be working alright. I don’t see as much breakage. It smells like tea tree oil, it’s kinda strong at first. But I don’t mind that smell. I think the minoxidil is working too - I see some fine baby hairs growing in my crown and part (the thinnest areas for me)
  • JessicaChicago70
    JessicaChicago70 Posts: 83 Member
    I started using Spironolactone. It prevents further loss and maintains what you have. It's worked well for me.
    I also intend to go back to using minoxidil.
  • tmbg1
    I've switched to Pura d and it works just as well as the aveda but it's less expensive and I can get it at the grocery store. Much less hair coming out in the shower!
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    The Pura d or seems to be working alright. I don’t see as much breakage. It smells like tea tree oil, it’s kinda strong at first. But I don’t mind that smell. I think the minoxidil is working too - I see some fine baby hairs growing in my crown and part (the thinnest areas for me)

Hello there ! Just wanted to shared that I've been using Minoxidil on and off for a couple of years and its made an amazing difference to my hairline and the top part of my scalp. I'll never forget that awful feeling of seeing my scalp through my hair...

What I do know for sure is that you arent meant to stop using it - stick with it ! What I also found was washing, drying and brushing my hair less seemed to help as well although appreciate thats not always a good look.....!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    I found that when I switched hairdressers, and she stopped bleaching my hair (white hair to blonde should not need bleach to get there) and I used a line of products called Healium, my hair grew back in nicely. I also got more consistent with taking daily vitamins.
  • Xx_ChristieBoo_xX
    Xx_ChristieBoo_xX Posts: 1 Member
    I am at the Peri stage and my hair has definitely thinned. I am also unable to dye it as every time I use a Home dye my hair seems to absorb all of the dye and goes really dark! So the greys are creeping in! I am finding it draining as I am only 40! I am grateful for this group as I don’t have any friends going through this right now!
  • tcunbeliever
    I just hit a huge amount of hair loss this week...not sure if it's hormonal, or because I keep forgetting my vitamins, or whatever, but I'm going to get back on my vitamins and be more mindful of my protein and hope that it doesn't get too crazy.
  • tcunbeliever
    Fun times. The hair loss isn't as bad, but still more than normal, plus wacky hot flashes that last for days - is that still a flash when it lasts for DAYS...ugh.

I upped my menopause vitamins the last few days and today feels relatively normal at least in the temperature department.

I will stay on them daily instead of 3x/week and see if that fixes stuff.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Fun times. The hair loss isn't as bad, but still more than normal, plus wacky hot flashes that last for days - is that still a flash when it lasts for DAYS...ugh.

I upped my menopause vitamins the last few days and today feels relatively normal at least in the temperature department.

I will stay on them daily instead of 3x/week and see if that fixes stuff.

I've been hotter than an oven for days on end. It's nutty!
  • tcunbeliever
    I went to my naturopath last night...she did a hormone balance, and put me on some thyroid supporting herbs, and agreed that I should stick to one a day for the menopause herbs for 90 days...she told me I should never have cut back to 3x/week, but to be fair, it worked at that level for a long time.