Pulled Pork

kathyblickley
kathyblickley Posts: 4 Member
My favorite thing is to put the pork loin in a crockpot with a bottle of your favorite diet soda. I season with what I use for chili - chili powder, cumin, paprika, etc. My husband loves it with Diet Root Beer but I like it with diet ginger ale. Cook it on low for 6 hours and shred it. I don’t drown it in BBQ sauce but will put it in a spinach wrap with tomatoes, onions and more spinach. This also freezes well.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    How much of the soda do you think the pork absorbs?
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    How much of the soda do you think the pork absorbs?

All.. if you pulled the meat and pour the sauce to mixed it with as the "sauce"
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Thanks for the info. Sounds delicious.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I make this often, and using diet pop doesn’t add any calories. Diet Dr Pepper is good too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,552 Member
    I like to cook with full fat cola mixed with soy with the lid off so that the liquid evorates. As it cooks down the sugar caramelizes into a sticky sauce, so there is no need to add BBQ sauce for sweetness. Coca cola braised wings is a staple among students in China.

As kids we brought a can of full fat coke for marinating BBQ ribs. An easy to transport cooking ingredient for camping trips. The acidity in sodas also tenderizes the meat.