Apple shaped disaster

I’m apple shaped/ inverted triangle. Weight is all in middle. Wider shoulders. Nicer legs. I’ll lose weight in my legs but middle is still so disproportionate. Can I change my shape? Is it even possible? What are the best fitness goals to focus on with this problem?
Thanks

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Hello!
    We can't really control where our body loses weight, and for many people the stomach area is the last to lose it. That's not a disaster, that's nature.
    If you're at a healthy/comfortable weight, you could try a recomp:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How much are you trying to lose? If you're not at goal yet, keep going. Open up your diary so others can help you with your logging accuracy.
  • catesatomicgarden
    catesatomicgarden Posts: 1 Member
    Same! Always the last place I lose too. Does anyone have any good at home exercises that target the lower/midsection?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    You can’t change your overall shape, that’s genetics. Losing weight, gaining strength, building muscle etc. are all great goals, but you must also learn to love your body. I have come to terms with the short, stumpy legs I was born with, for example, because they are healthy and strong and get me where I need to go. I wish I had long, slender legs like Kate Middleton but it ain’t gonna ever happen. My legs do look better after weight loss and lifting, though.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I am also an apple tortilla chip. In the past when I was slimmer it was much less noticable and I was actually quite happy with my shape but now at a heavier weight I feel quite self conscious about it. My upper body and stomach are so disproportionally bigger than my lower body and I try to disguise it with the clothes I wear. Anyway. My point is with overall weight loss I’ve found it to be much less noticable.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Same! Always the last place I lose too. Does anyone have any good at home exercises that target the lower/midsection?

You can't spot reduce fat.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
  • Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    elfin168 wrote: »
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
    Thx. I’m aware of all this and I eat a healthy paleo diet. Diet alone has helped me lose almost 30 lbs in 7 months. Def need to change up my exercise, but still not really seeing a difference in my middle.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Mythrain1 wrote: »
    Thx. I’m aware of all this and I eat a healthy paleo diet. Diet alone has helped me lose almost 30 lbs in 7 months. Def need to change up my exercise, but still not really seeing a difference in my middle.

What is your height and weight?
    How much more weight (if any) are you trying to lose?
    What exercise are you currently doing?
  • Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Mythrain1 wrote: »

What is your height and weight?
    How much more weight (if any) are you trying to lose?
    What exercise are you currently doing?

Hi. I’m 168.5. Down from 196 when I started eating paleo in December. I just got out of the “obese” BMI category. I’m 5 ft 6.
    I’m not focused on a number for weight loss. I’m focused on being in better shape, getting rid of this high risk abdominal area, and try to get my body to look less top heavy.
    Exercise I walk about 3-5 times a week. I was doing elliptical/ stairs before that but I hurt my ankle and was advised to wait until it is better- which it is. Cardio makes my legs drop weight. Then I really look like a circle with stick legs. I used to do body pump- I like it but hard to find classes with my work schedule. I need a trainer or a gym- I can’t rely on tv or internet to get me to exercise.