What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    madwells1 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Sumac spiced wild sockeye salmon fillet, roasted parsnip and pickled veggies.

What does sumac taste like? I saw this the other day in the spice aisle and can honestly say I can't remember ever tasting it.

It's lemony. In a mezzes/tapas restaurant we go to sometimes (wide geographical area starting in Andalucia and ending in the Levant) they have a spice mix on the table of sumac and coarse salt to dip bread in that has first been drizzled with olive oil.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

What does sumac taste like? I saw this the other day in the spice aisle and can honestly say I can't remember ever tasting it.

It's lemony. In a mezzes/tapas restaurant we go to sometimes (wide geographical area starting in Andalucia and ending in the Levant) they have a spice mix on the table of sumac and coarse salt to dip bread in that has first been drizzled with olive oil.

This. Its lemony BUT it also has this "interesting" smell and taste to it. Difficult to describe. Do what I did the first time, buy it and try it. I love it :)

Thanks both of you. I think I may have to pick it up. What is the best protein for it in your opinion--if not using fish?
  • madwells1
    Dinner on Air Canada flight 888, economy class. The chicken option. Snack of calamari in the Ottawa airport pub.

That chicken option looks pretty iffy to me....I hope you made it home safe!!
  • acpgee

This. Its lemony BUT it also has this "interesting" smell and taste to it. Difficult to describe. Do what I did the first time, buy it and try it. I love it :)

Thanks both of you. I think I may have to pick it up. What is the best protein for it in your opinion--if not using fish?

I would pick a protein that works well with an acidic tang and maybe with a little fat content to compliment the earthy scent. Lamb chops, chicken thighs or pork ribs come to mind. Traditionallly used in middle eastern cooking but also the deep south of Italy.

If you are trying it for the first time, try in in a neutral setting such as mixing sumac with a little salt and dipping bread that has been dipped or drizzled with olive oil. Or on buttered popcorn. Useful for adding a citrus tang when you don't want to add any extra liquid to a recipe, such as for balancing the flavour of meatballs or kofte.

• acpgee
    Dinner on Air Canada flight 888, economy class. The chicken option. Snack of calamari in the Ottawa airport pub.

That chicken option looks pretty iffy to me....I hope you made it home safe!!

That chicken option was a bit iffy. But the other option was pasta with pesto and my experience with pasta on airplanes has been pretty awful. Although I love homemade pesto, I hate the taste of ascorbic acid in the industrially manufactured stuff. Chicken option was kind of a 70s chicken a la king. Tasted like childhood TV dinners.

Air Canada food is not great. Best long haul economy class food I've had has been Thai Airways, Japanese Airlines and Alitalia. But yeah, those are national carriers of countries where people are a bit food obsessed.
  • madwells1
    Beef and pork bulgogi over power greens, Napa cabbage and zucchini noodles.
    2ulct5bl2whc.jpg

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @just_Tomek I think I need to move in with you!!!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member

@just_Tomek I think I need to move in with you!!!

Can I come too?
    😂
  • acpgee
    Air fried bits and bobs from the freezer. Louwhiss seafood pouches, homemade Dutch bitterballen, leftover Portuguese marinated carrots, Maesri Thai seafood sauce.
    iatjy8z9cfpr.jpg
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited August 2019
    Home baked breasd, curried egg salad for breakfast.
    uyanxqno8zw6.jpg

Grass fed ribeye, buckwheat and veggies with some chianti to wash it all down.
    mn7sbtnvf5fr.jpg

Drool 🤤
    I'd swap the wine for a whiskey but the rest is perfect
  • slimgirljo15
    edited August 2019
    uyanxqno8zw6.jpg

mn7sbtnvf5fr.jpg

Drool 🤤

Whiskey with dinner? That belongs in the weird things you do with food thread lol :)
    Whiskey after dinner, that I understand. On the rocks please.

Lol.. I just meant I don't drink wine, I prefer spirits.. after dinner is perfect 🙂
    So, when can I come over? 😁
    And can you cook the same meal again as above?... I love trifle btw
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    uj4n1g76pnd6.jpg
  • acpgee
    Roll your own California hand rolls and miso soup. Fillings were sushi rice, cucumber, avocado, crab sticks, omelette, green onion, chive, pickled daikon. Condiments were kikkoman soy, kewpie mayo, wasabi in a tube, furikake. The miso soup contained tofu cubes and hijiki seaweed.
    a8cigfeab5f4.jpeg

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Roll your own California hand rolls and miso soup. Fillings were sushi rice, cucumber, avocado, crab sticks, omelette, green onion, chive, pickled daikon. Condiments were kikkoman soy, kewpie mayo, wasabi in a tube, furikake. The miso soup contained tofu cubes and hijiki seaweed.
    a8cigfeab5f4.jpeg

That looks incredible!
  • acpgee
    J72FIT wrote: »
    That looks incredible!
    It's actually a very easy to put together meal for a weeknight if you use store bought sushi vinegar for making the sushi rice which can be cooked in advance since you have it cold anyway. Optional omelette can be made in advance too, since you want it cold. Miso soup can be cheated with instant dashi powder, dry store cupboard hijiki, and miso is also a store cupboard ingredient I always have in the fridge. I make easy work of toasting nori in the air fryer. Cut a packet of sheets in half, put in the air fryer under a weight such as a coffee cup and toast on lowest temperature (80C) for 10 minutes. You could do this in a convection oven where won't need the weight as the fan is less aggressive. For the rest it is just laying out thawed crab sticks and cutting up some cold veg.

It's a nice hot weather meal. A Japanese girlfriend showed me this as a budget friendly and easy family style way to serve sushi at home. No expensive sushi grade raw fish is involved and the cook doesn't need to roll anything in advance. If you don't like processed crab sticks some blanched or even pre-cooked shrimp could be substituted.

• slimgirljo15
    uyanxqno8zw6.jpg

mn7sbtnvf5fr.jpg

Drool 🤤

Whiskey with dinner? That belongs in the weird things you do with food thread lol :)
    Whiskey after dinner, that I understand. On the rocks please.

Lol.. I just meant I don't drink wine, I prefer spirits.. after dinner is perfect 🙂
    So, when can I come over? 😁
    And can you cook the same meal again as above?... I love trifle btw

Anytime. I just need days notice, and yeap I do take requests. You bring good whisky / brandy and we are on.
    Mississauga, ON just in case you were wondering :)

I'll need to book a flight ✈ I'm Australian..
    I'll have to settle for your amazing pics for a bit 🙂
    a8cigfeab5f4.jpeg

I've tried to make my own, the guts all fell out 😔 I didnt roll firmly enough.
  • madwells1
    Malimalai wrote: »
    Low carb Roasted duck with hot chili sauce. 5f1mgtjcguz9.jpg
    W

That is just BEAUTIFUL!!!