What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @J72FIT, what I like about it is the ability to pick and choose the exercises making up the workout, tailored to how my body feels which can vary from day to day. If you follow my training journals, you'll realize the stuff I do is all over the place but I do have certain exercises that I regularly do. I call this my "intuitive training" approach. Never quite sure what I'll actually do until I show up but it will generally have elements of intensity to make it a legitimate workout. Won't win any bodybuilding contests or sport big arms and chesticle muscles but I'll likely be among the top finishers in a race up the stairs of a 100-story skyscraper.

It's all good, we just got to show up and do it. And, the program we follow needs to match our fitness training personalities for best results. Thanks for your comments.
  • soniasharma2
    soniasharma2 Posts: 15 Member
    800m run
    4 rounds:
    -25 jumping jacks
    -10 lunge twist
    -10 push ups
    800m run
    5 rounds:
    -50 heavy jump rope
    -40 mountain climbers
    -30 kb swings 30 lbs
    5 rounds:
    -20 dB pull through w/plank 20 lbs
    -20 sit ups w/ dB 20 lbs
    1.2 mile run
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Guess who has a 5k (erg test) that they need to do by by January first and is apparently needing to aim for the 75 percentile for their age and gender....grumble. Ideally I'd like to have a good ish test by Sept 7th (yes, I just found out about this this morning). I'm going to do one either tomorrow or Friday and see how I fair. My goal split is 1:54.9. I don't have super good data for this right now because the last 5k I did wasn't an erg test. That said the last 7,500 piece I did was mid may and my split was 2:05.1. Tomorrow's will be a benchmark. @MikePfirrman - do you have any advice?

In other news, I had a very good row this morning. 13.4k in an 8 - I was 2 seat in the non-novice boat today :D My catches have apparently gotten significantly better over the past month and I got a lot of good feedback. The water was amazing save for some really unfortunate wake from one of the coaching launches that we had to row through towards the end.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    aokoye wrote: »
    Guess who has a 5k (erg test) that they need to do by by January first and is apparently needing to aim for the 75 percentile for their age and gender....grumble. Ideally I'd like to have a good ish test by Sept 7th (yes, I just found out about this this morning). I'm going to do one either tomorrow or Friday and see how I fair. My goal split is 1:54.9. I don't have super good data for this right now because the last 5k I did wasn't an erg test. That said the last 7,500 piece I did was mid may and my split was 2:05.1. Tomorrow's will be a benchmark. @MikePfirrman - do you have any advice?

In other news, I had a very good row this morning. 13.4k in an 8 - I was 2 seat in the non-novice boat today :D My catches have apparently gotten significantly better over the past month and I got a lot of good feedback. The water was amazing save for some really unfortunate wake from one of the coaching launches that we had to row through towards the end.

That's an aggressive time but I think you're stronger than you realize you are at rowing already. You're putting in the meters now, you don't need to work on that.

You do need some Anaerobic threashold work though. I know you know the Pete Plan. But Marston also has a 5K Pete Plan as well. Some of those sessions, though, are admittedly brutal. I've done all of them but have never managed to get through the entire 12 week program without either getting sick or injured slightly. https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/

With your ability to use your trainer at home, I'd look at revising some of the 5K Pete Plan workouts to the Bike perhaps? I know when my back was hurt, I did a lot of these workouts but adapted them to my Assault Bike. You're going to be essentially doing FTP training (for non bikers -- holding maximum Watts sustainable for an hour). 20 minute FTP tests on the bike would help too.

Just for a benchmark, my PB is around a 1:56 pace on the 5K (but it was a softer PB so I was attacking it hard before I got hurt. Should have been more like a 1:55 pace for me). Your last 2K TT, which I think didn't really indicate how strong you are, doesn't say you'll be able to do a 1:54.9. But I also think your 2K TT wasn't a great one because, if I remember right, you aborted a 4 X 2K workout and just counted the first rep as your PB. If you went into a 2K TT knowing it's your only rep, you would have attacked it harder.

5K TTs are, IMHO, the worst. For you non rowers, they are like sprinting a 5K run. Times on 5K rows are also strikingly similar to 5K runs, so when you hear a 19:XX something on a 5K row, it's no joke. It would be like running a 5K sub 20 minutes!
  • aokoye
    edited August 2019
    aokoye wrote: »

That's an aggressive time but I think you're stronger than you realize you are at rowing already. You're putting in the meters now, you don't need to work on that.

You do need some Anaerobic threashold work though. I know you know the Pete Plan. But Marston also has a 5K Pete Plan as well. Some of those sessions, though, are admittedly brutal. I've done all of them but have never managed to get through the entire 12 week program without either getting sick or injured slightly. https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/

With your ability to use your trainer at home, I'd look at revising some of the 5K Pete Plan workouts to the Bike perhaps? I know when my back was hurt, I did a lot of these workouts but adapted them to my Assault Bike. You're going to be essentially doing FTP training (for non bikers -- holding maximum Watts sustainable for an hour). 20 minute FTP tests on the bike would help too.

Just for a benchmark, my PB is around a 1:56 pace on the 5K (but it was a softer PB so I was attacking it hard before I got hurt. Should have been more like a 1:55 pace for me). Your last 2K TT, which I think didn't really indicate how strong you are, doesn't say you'll be able to do a 1:54.9. But I also think your 2K TT wasn't a great one because, if I remember right, you aborted a 4 X 2K workout and just counted the first rep as your PB. If you went into a 2K TT knowing it's your only rep, you would have attacked it harder.

5K TTs are, IMHO, the worst. For you non rowers, they are like sprinting a 5K run. Times on 5K rows are also strikingly similar to 5K runs, so when you hear a 19:XX something on a 5K row, it's no joke. It would be like running a 5K sub 20 minutes!

Thank you and yes, you're remembering correctly in terms of my aborted 4 x 2k. I am heartened by the fact that, in reality, I have a little over 3 months, though the 1:55 pace is...daunting to say the least. The optional 5k deadline is Sept 7th, the hard deadline is January 1st.

I did see the Pete 5k plan, but I didn't think about converting some of the sessions to bike sessions, that makes a lot of sense though. Given that I'm rowing on the water 4-5 days a week through the summer and into the fall (with some likely erg sessions instead of OTW sessions due to boathouse issues next week), I'll probably do the three day a week light plan and make at least one of the interval workouts a bike workout. Thinking about it, those would probably be very enjoyable for me given that sprint intervals are my prefered cycling workouts.

All of the competitive scullers and the vast majority of the women's team have 5k tests due by the end of the month which is part of why my coach decided that maybe the men's team should join the bandwagon. What he's actually going to use it for I have no idea, given how small our team is in comparison (this is why we didn't have an erg test last year winter) but who knows. I've been doing the, "I'm so glad I don't have to do this" which is why now I'm like, "well crap."

Part of me is a bit unhappy about not erging since late May, but then I remember how much better my shoulder has been doing and it's clear that the rest was actually pretty helpful.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2019
    @ Aoyoke - I know it sounds crazy but hanging therapy has done wonders for my shoulders. You just simply hang on a pull up bar.

Speaking of harder intervals. I attempted to do a 5 minute X 5 today. Got to three and then another around 2 minutes and called it a day. 2 minute rests. I'm going to the gym tonight myself, in part to do some shoulder therapy. My left shoulder has been a bit sore. Oh, times were (roughly) 2:03, 2:01 and 2:01 on the first three sessions. Not great but not terrible. Highest HR was right at around 90% max on the last rep. Didn't really want to exceed that.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    @ Aoyoke - I know it sounds crazy but hanging therapy has done wonders for my shoulders. You just simply hang on a pull up bar.

Speaking of harder intervals. I attempted to do a 5 minute X 5 today. Got to three and then another around 2 minutes and called it a day. 2 minute rests. I'm going to the gym tonight myself, in part to do some shoulder therapy. My left shoulder has been a bit sore.

I second that.

This book explains it all...

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Solution-Prevention-Revised-Expanded/dp/1589096428
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    3mi treadmill mountain simulation at 8% incline. 37:28 (12:27/mi) 1,271ft elevation gain.
  • stephsjourney2019
    stephsjourney2019 Posts: 26 Member
    15 Mile bike ride today...
  • medusascircle
    medusascircle Posts: 24 Member
    3 mile outdoor run, 15 minutes on bowflex max trainer, 24 push ups and leg stretches. Day isn’t over yet!
  • aokoye

Speaking of harder intervals. I attempted to do a 5 minute X 5 today. Got to three and then another around 2 minutes and called it a day. 2 minute rests. I'm going to the gym tonight myself, in part to do some shoulder therapy. My left shoulder has been a bit sore. Oh, times were (roughly) 2:03, 2:01 and 2:01 on the first three sessions. Not great but not terrible. Highest HR was right at around 90% max on the last rep. Didn't really want to exceed that.

Oh it doesn't sound crazy at all actually, it was one of the things my physical therapist prescribed once I was allowed to do PT for my shoulder (after the bone had healed enough). I'm lucky in that I still have a normal range of motion, likely due in part to have started out with a larger than normal range of motion...

Also I just looked at some of the erg test results from last year (all of which were optional), and arguably one of the best people on our team has an erg score that would actually be a better target for me and I would be happy about. Mind you, he is one of the examples of "good erg scores aren't always a good metric for your performance on the water" but still.

Good thinking on the HR stuff. Tomorrow will be my first time using an HR monitor with erg training - I suspect I will largely ignore it because I have no desire to have that play into my thinking with regards to the test. For training post tomorrow's benchmark, fine. That said, I will be interested to see what it looks like after the fact.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Spin class, mis-set my Garmin, so eho the heck knows what happened, but the real-time HR display on the bike (from my chest belt via Ant+) looked pretty typical. Body counts it right, regardless! ;)
    <snippers for reply length >
    Did 20 minute row X 2 today and then a 10 minute one with strapless C/D. Man I've gotten bad at strapless work.
    <snippity more>

Oh, man, I empathize!

At an extreme: Years back, first time I tried feet out in a sculling boat (double), I instantly found myself on my back with my head in the lap of an excellent NCAA div I rower who was sitting bow. She was astonished, but kind. :lol:

(I'm sure you're not at that extreme - but I get it. Smooth feet-out power will be a plus for your future transition to a shell: Many things that make feet-out lose power on a machine are things that check the boat's run on water.)
  • aokoye
    edited August 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Spin class, mis-set my Garmin, so eho the heck knows what happened, but the real-time HR display on the bike (from my chest belt via Ant+) looked pretty typical. Body counts it right, regardless! ;)
    <snippers for reply length >
    Did 20 minute row X 2 today and then a 10 minute one with strapless C/D. Man I've gotten bad at strapless work.
    <snippity more>

Oh, man, I empathize!

At an extreme: Years back, first time I tried feet out in a sculling boat (double), I instantly found myself on my back with my head in the lap of an excellent NCAA div I rower who was sitting bow. She was astonished, but kind. :lol:

(I'm sure you're not at that extreme - but I get it. Smooth feet-out power will be a plus for your future transition to a shell: Many things that make feet-out lose power on a machine are things that check the boat's run on water.)

It could be worse, you could have ended up in the water ;)

Also I mis-set my Garmin all the time. In my case it's typically an issue of not paying attention because "oh crap I forgot to turn it on...oh it was on 'bike indoor'...woops". Apparently my friend who I'm frequently bow pair with (who has the same name as I do but is a year younger and a year more experienced than I am) does the same thing.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/22/2019 - at park late afternoon 97F degrees 25 percent humidity - run 3.0 miles in 32:01 and walk 2.0 miles in 36:24.

Hot run and walk. Going to drink lots of water this evening and maybe eat some watermelon.
  • MikePfirrman
    Went to the gym last night for around an hour lifting session. Did work in a few really short rowing sprints but mostly it was complex lifts and ab work. Hadn't lifted in the gym for a while. My bench presses haven't gone down (actually up) with all the home pushups I do. Did do some weighted (light) barbell full squats, which are tough with my bad right knee. Some shoulder hangs and quite a few pullups along with ab work. Felt nice not to just do cardio.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2019
    8/22
    6-7 pm
    Conditioning
    Jumprope - 3min on 1min off x 6 (18 min)

8/23
    6-8 am
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (5 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 5 Rounds
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - GTG
    *On a Yoga Block
    5 x 2 (10)
    Pull-ups - GTG
    5 x 6 (30)
    Cossack Squat - GTG
    5 x 8 (40)
    Meditate

Dead hangs and handstand wall holds as well...
  • J72FIT
    Went to the gym last night for around an hour lifting session. Did work in a few really short rowing sprints but mostly it was complex lifts and ab work. Hadn't lifted in the gym for a while. My bench presses haven't gone down (actually up) with all the home pushups I do. Did do some weighted (light) barbell full squats, which are tough with my bad right knee. Some shoulder hangs and quite a few pullups along with ab work. Felt nice not to just do cardio.

How awesome are the dead hangs?
  • MikePfirrman
    J72FIT wrote: »

They are a nice warmup. Shoulder felt good after doing them but then I did (probably not wise) around 30 pullups (2 sets of around 15). I did use 10 lbs of assistance on the first set and 20 on the second, but still likely not wise in not having done pullups in so long! I do a ton of heavy one arm DB presses (around 40 lbs or so to 50 lbs), so my shoulders are fairly strong, but pullups are hard no matter how strong you are if you haven't done them in a while.

Was debating getting a BodyBlade Pro. I know a lot of folks that have them and swear by them for shoulder work. Aside from overhead presses at home, I don't get enough shoulder work (thus the gym).

Mid back (my old injury) was sore after going to the gym, but this morning feels great. Perhaps all the ab work and hanging helped it a bit.

They had the Hand Cycle fixed finally, too. One of my new favorites at the gym. That thing is a beast. Great for arm work. Like a spinner but with only your arms. They also have this thing in my LA Fitness where it's like a heavy rope, but it's on a spindle, it's overhead, so you pull on it and it just keeps giving you more rope. Works the heck out of your lats, shoulders, abs, traps and biceps. Quite a cardio workout too! I get on that on Sundays but Sundays is my "controlled" HR day. Was really looking forward to letting loose on that last night but it's in the "trainer section" that they like to keep you out of when they have a lot of trainer sessions going on and there were quite a few of them last night. You don't have to know much to be a trainer these days ;)
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2019
    J72FIT wrote: »

They are a nice warmup. Shoulder felt good after doing them but then I did (probably not wise) around 30 pullups (2 sets of around 15). I did use 10 lbs of assistance on the first set and 20 on the second, but still likely not wise in not having done pullups in so long! I do a ton of heavy one arm DB presses (around 40 lbs or so to 50 lbs), so my shoulders are fairly strong, but pullups are hard no matter how strong you are if you haven't done them in a while.

Was debating getting a BodyBlade Pro. I know a lot of folks that have them and swear by them for shoulder work. Aside from overhead presses at home, I don't get enough shoulder work (thus the gym).

Mid back (my old injury) was sore after going to the gym, but this morning feels great. Perhaps all the ab work and hanging helped it a bit.

They had the Hand Cycle fixed finally, too. One of my new favorites at the gym. That thing is a beast. Great for arm work. Like a spinner but with only your arms. They also have this thing in my LA Fitness where it's like a heavy rope, but it's on a spindle, it's overhead, so you pull on it and it just keeps giving you more rope. Works the heck out of your lats, shoulders, abs, traps and biceps. Quite a cardio workout too! I get on that on Sundays but Sundays is my "controlled" HR day. Was really looking forward to letting loose on that last night but it's in the "trainer section" that they like to keep you out of when they have a lot of trainer sessions going on and there were quite a few of them last night. You don't have to know much to be a trainer these days ;)

Pull-ups are tough. Break up those set and reps. 5 sets of 6 or 6 sets of 5, and you'll still get your 30 in...