Basketball Jerks

allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I went to the gym last week and tried to get into a pickup game. There were 12 people paying (2 alternating in) and I was the only other guy in the gym. Guy said I couldn’t play because they had the court reserved. When I asked how they knew each other, they just told me they just show up at the same time each week. WTH? Didn’t I just show up?

So I showed up again the next week and was told the same thing. They also made me move from the goal I was playing on. Are these guys jerks or does this happen a lot? I’ve been playing for a long time and have never been told I couldn’t play when I’ve asked...

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Jerks. They're everywhere.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Jerks. We have to share courts at our clubhouses here and some people are wired to be ill socialized. My sister and I tend to unpack our basketball and work the full court with netball passes cum basketball footwork. When they'd holler for a pass, netball passes hurt. We can be jerks back too, unintentionally. ;)

They steer clear of us now. :laugh:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Jerks.

Doesn't the gym have an open use schedule?

Don't think you'd want to play w/then anyway but I'd ck w/management to see if they have actually reserved the court and complain if they didn't.

BTW, this kind of thing is the reason that I only participate in individual sports activities.

Yup, I am absolutely sure things like this are what make me love running, heavy lifting, my paddle board, hiking, snowshoeing, etc. I hate the treatment of others and cliques of sport.
  • allother94
    It just makes me mad. I need to go to that gym once a month or so. I just can’t stand seeing those fools.
  • 777Gemma888
    allother94 wrote: »
    It just makes me mad. I need to go to that gym once a month or so. I just can’t stand seeing those fools.

Then go once a month. If you are running into those jerks when you do go now, then opt for an earlier time.

Or

You could book (reserve) the court when they always plan to use it +/- ... They are either going to need to sub you into their play roster or hang 10 as orange peelers on the bench.
  • allother94
    There are 5 courts. Plenty of room for everyone. I’ll just need to learn to ignore them. I’m sure they will ask me to play if they are ever short a guy. It will feel nice to tell them to stick it.
  • 777Gemma888
    Or you could do this.

https://youtu.be/cRcykzYPR5Q
  • allother94
    edited August 2019
    That is the attitude. I get it if there are a bunch of people. But 13 players instead of 12 really doesn’t mean a lot less playing time. My plan is to just ignore them. Anybody that would make me feel like a schmuck for asking to play with them (something they would have needed to do themselves before they were “accepted”) isn’t worth my time. Even if I was “accepted”, I would never want to make anyone else feel like a schmuck. I’d rather be a decent person then worry about missing out on 7 minutes of pickup basketball.
  • allother94
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

It matters to me if it's my spot you end up taking. Even if it's just for 1 game, that could be half my lunch break. To you, it's just a casual game of pickup hoops. To me, it's my only chance to be social, to feel like I'm part of a group, and to contribute to that group. For someone who struggles socially, that 45 minutes can make or break my week.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, or you're right or wrong. My perspective on my game could be very different from the guys you ran into. I'm just giving you another perspective.

You are not taking the “schmuck’s” feelings into consideration. I go to the gym for the same reason you do (and most people do). But instead of going home feeling great, I leave feeling horrible for weeks. All because someone is afraid that playing 30 mins instead of 45 mins during one of their 3 weekly basketball games might make them feel less great for a few days.

I don’t want to take my anger out on you. It sounds like you would probably let someone play even though you wouldn’t like it. I don’t know what you would do to them during the game, but letting them play is a decent thing to do. I appreciate the comments.

The guys at this gym were just jerks. Giving all this happened at the YMCA (C for Christian) makes it all that much worse
  • allother94
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So, you're upset about not being allowed to enter someone else's regular and well established game and being "forced" to go to one of the other empty 4 courts? Not too sure who the "jerk" is here, if there is one.

Imagine you are sitting in McDonald’s eating a hamburger. 3 guys come in, sit at your table, and ask you to move because they normally sit at this table. You are then “forced” to go to one of the other empty tables. Why couldn’t they go to one of the empty courts? Because what they want is all that matters. That alone makes them jerks.

I’ve been a part of regular games in the past. Some have been going on for 30+ years. Those games treated me with kindness and respect the first day I showed up and we treated newcomers with kindness and respect during the years I was a part of the group. There were days I volunteered to sit on the bench when I wanted to play to let others join. It sucked in the short term, but some of those newcomers eventually became good friends of mine.
  • allother94
    edited August 2019
    aokoye wrote: »

It matters to me if it's my spot you end up taking. Even if it's just for 1 game, that could be half my lunch break. To you, it's just a casual game of pickup hoops. To me, it's my only chance to be social, to feel like I'm part of a group, and to contribute to that group. For someone who struggles socially, that 45 minutes can make or break my week.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, or you're right or wrong. My perspective on my game could be very different from the guys you ran into. I'm just giving you another perspective.

You are not taking the “schmuck’s” feelings into consideration. I go to the gym for the same reason you do (and most people do). But instead of going home feeling great, I leave feeling horrible for weeks. All because someone is afraid that playing 30 mins instead of 45 mins during one of their 3 weekly basketball games might make them feel less great for a few days.

I don’t want to take my anger out on you. It sounds like you would probably let someone play even though you wouldn’t like it. I don’t know what you would do to them during the game, but letting them play is a decent thing to do. I appreciate the comments.

The guys at this gym were just jerks. Giving all this happened at the YMCA (C for Christian) makes it all that much worse
    If you think everyone or even most people who go to the YMCA are Christian then I've got a bridge to sell you. If you think all Christians (or every person of any religion/faith) are nice then I might also try to sell you Greenland.

I didn’t say I think everyone at the YMCA are nice Christians. I said it makes the behavior worse. If you want to be a jerk, you shouldn’t do it in a building whose core vision focuses on creating a friendly environment.
  • allother94
    edited August 2019
    mmapags wrote: »

If something like this causes you to go home and feel.bad for weeks you should seriously evaluate your emotional response to simple life situations.

I can't imagine focusing on an incident like this for more than 15 minutes tops before letting it go. Others don't have that much control over your feelings unless you allow them to.

Ok, so maybe I exaggerated a little. But it still bugs me. Or at least it was bugging me when I posted this. I love pick up basketball, so it stayed with me for a few days. If it would have been pick up chess or something, 15 mins sounds about right.

However, I’ve got some baggage when it comes to this stuff. If you play sports in high school or college, the better player will eventually make the team and/or become a starter. But you would be surprised to see the nasty things people will do to others to “protect their position”; especially in high school.