Share your Numbers

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I did a major reboot of my spreadsheet in early January.

Since then:

I have logged 231789 calories worth of deficit
    I have lost 250600 calories worth of weight

Meaning that my logged deficit to results are only a little over 8 percent off. I tend to log on the high side so some of the small difference is just a matter of preference on my part. The rest is normal margin of error, average calories vs precise, and the fact I use a TDEE system to calculate my deficit and activity is variable.

It really shows though that weight loss is driven totally by a calorie deficit.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Reviewed my progress today and I'm down 6.4lb since the start of the month, which is quite a surprise.
    I'm only 1.8lb away from 5 stone - which truly is amazing, I'm so chuffed.
    I'm hoping I've reached that stage now where a 7lb loss is noticeable, nobody mentions my weightloss - I think it's because I lose proportionally but am still fat.

That’s incredible progress, @Jackie9003! I’m down 11 lbs since June, and don’t look different yet at all. We’ll get there!

Have you checked your feet? lol.

I think my first 25 pounds or so was mostly visceral fat. I felt the difference but couldn't see anything. If I recall correctly that is the only predictable weight loss pattern. You lose visceral fat before distributed body fat. You might not have any though. I was so large I had to have some... probably quite a bit.

My scales do body fat, I'm not sure about the accuracy but mine has gone from 13 to 12, I haven't checked for a while I must do so.
    My feet are still fat but my watch was loose so now on the next loop!
  • NovusDies
    Reviewed my progress today and I'm down 6.4lb since the start of the month, which is quite a surprise.
    I'm only 1.8lb away from 5 stone - which truly is amazing, I'm so chuffed.
    I'm hoping I've reached that stage now where a 7lb loss is noticeable, nobody mentions my weightloss - I think it's because I lose proportionally but am still fat.

That’s incredible progress, @Jackie9003! I’m down 11 lbs since June, and don’t look different yet at all. We’ll get there!

Have you checked your feet? lol.

I think my first 25 pounds or so was mostly visceral fat. I felt the difference but couldn't see anything. If I recall correctly that is the only predictable weight loss pattern. You lose visceral fat before distributed body fat. You might not have any though. I was so large I had to have some... probably quite a bit.

My scales do body fat, I'm not sure about the accuracy but mine has gone from 13 to 12, I haven't checked for a while I must do so.
    My feet are still fat but my watch was loose so now on the next loop!

You found it!

I believe those scales can be use for a very large trend but they are inaccurate on short term results.

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I realized today was my 42 day tracking, 6 weeks total. I have tracked 113710 calories, averaging 2707 per day. I have lost 25.8 pounds for an average of .61 ppd, or 4.3 ppw. 6 week running calculated TDEE is 4857, last 3 weeks TDEE is 4761. Projected weight based upon calculated deficit 396.8, actual weight 396.2. I must be guestimating pretty closely lol. Gotta love @NovusDies
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    I realized today was my 42 day tracking, 6 weeks total. I have tracked 113710 calories, averaging 2707 per day. I have lost 25.8 pounds for an average of .61 ppd, or 4.3 ppw. 6 week running calculated TDEE is 4857, last 3 weeks TDEE is 4761. Projected weight based upon calculated deficit 396.8, actual weight 396.2. I must be guestimating pretty closely lol. Gotta love @NovusDies

.6 off? You can do better! lol

So other than being pleased with yourself do you think looking at weight loss in this manner helps give you more of a "high road" way of managing yourself? I think that is how it helped me the most. I stopped looking at it with all my emotional baggage and looked at it like a work project.

• jjlewey

So other than being pleased with yourself do you think looking at weight loss in this manner helps give you more of a "high road" way of managing yourself? I think that is how it helped me the most. I stopped looking at it with all my emotional baggage and looked at it like a work project.

It definitely helps me look at it from a logical perspective. Before I would be upset that the scale didn't go down every single day. Any day it went up was a failure, so creating a scatter plot of my daily weigh ins helped me get over that. Now if the trend line has a negative slope I am ok with the specific dots being above the line or higher then yesterday's dot. The spread sheet and figuring out actual tdee is helpful too because I like to be able to predict when actual milestones should occur. What is amazing to me is how close the online tdee calculator was to my actual tdee, not even 100 calories different.
  • NovusDies

It definitely helps me look at it from a logical perspective. Before I would be upset that the scale didn't go down every single day. Any day it went up was a failure, so creating a scatter plot of my daily weigh ins helped me get over that. Now if the trend line has a negative slope I am ok with the specific dots being above the line or higher then yesterday's dot. The spread sheet and figuring out actual tdee is helpful too because I like to be able to predict when actual milestones should occur. What is amazing to me is how close the online tdee calculator was to my actual tdee, not even 100 calories different.

I built a TDEE calculator into my spreadsheet and while I was sub sedentary I had to put my own activity multiplier in but once my activity graduated up I have used the standards and my weight is predictable down to .4 pound (not .6 pound :tongue: )

Obviously it eventually gets far enough off that I have to correct it but when everything is fairly steady I can get about 3 months.

There is a game element to it too. I love seeing my weight line up. I also like seeing the projected second year weight loss number go up when I enter my real calories over the conservative placeholder. If the surgery doesn't get postponed that will be way off this year (first year was within 4 pounds) but until it actually happens I will proceed with business as usual.

What I decided not to do was look past Feb 15 which is the end of my year. I think I am better off not knowing too early how long it might take me to get close to whatever my goal will be. I will do it next January. I don't even know if it will happen next year but it is possible I suppose.
  • jjlewey

I built a TDEE calculator into my spreadsheet and while I was sub sedentary I had to put my own activity multiplier in but once my activity graduated up I have used the standards and my weight is predictable down to .4 pound (not .6 pound :tongue: )

Obviously it eventually gets far enough off that I have to correct it but when everything is fairly steady I can get about 3 months.

There is a game element to it too. I love seeing my weight line up. I also like seeing the projected second year weight loss number go up when I enter my real calories over the conservative placeholder. If the surgery doesn't get postponed that will be way off this year (first year was within 4 pounds) but until it actually happens I will proceed with business as usual.

What I decided not to do was look past Feb 15 which is the end of my year. I think I am better off not knowing too early how long it might take me to get close to whatever my goal will be. I will do it next January. I don't even know if it will happen next year but it is possible I suppose.

Right now I am making myself think in terms of 25 pound goals. The nerd in me is contemplating switching to 2 stone goals instead, just because a stone sounds cool. 😉🤙😎
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Hi!...saw this group and decided to join....on June 1,2019 I hit my highest weight of 350 lbs....it was finally the wake up call I needed to finally change my style of eating...I have lost 29 lbs since and have logged all my food.....I need to get on the scales again and I am afraid if I haven’t lost weight, I will be discouraged...I am so determined to do this and finally get myself under control...I am 5’9” and I would love to get under 200.... I am 68 and in pretty good health except for the weight...I have already had both knees replaced...why did I take so long to wake up?.....I am here to give an take motivation and inspiration!
  • NovusDies
    Hi!...saw this group and decided to join....on June 1,2019 I hit my highest weight of 350 lbs....it was finally the wake up call I needed to finally change my style of eating...I have lost 29 lbs since and have logged all my food.....I need to get on the scales again and I am afraid if I haven’t lost weight, I will be discouraged...I am so determined to do this and finally get myself under control...I am 5’9” and I would love to get under 200.... I am 68 and in pretty good health except for the weight...I have already had both knees replaced...why did I take so long to wake up?.....I am here to give an take motivation and inspiration!

Hi @conniewilkins56

Welcome to LL.

I think we all wonder how we had blind spots to our health and weight. It rolls through my head on occasion but I try to remain more disciplined now and push those thoughts back out. In the past they would cause me to take on a more punishing attitude towards myself and my weight loss which of course always failed.

Congrats on losing 29 pounds! That is awesome.

There is a thread in the "announcements" area up top with an article to read about interpreting scale results. For some people, I am one of them, it really changes things. I had a terrible relationship with the scale from a teen through early last year but now I am mostly better.
  • conniewilkins56
    Thanks for the welcome!...I was down one more pound this morning !...I have a love hate relationship with the scale.....
  • NovusDies
    So my attempts to extend the amount of time between salt shaker refills did result in an artificial low weight for a short time but with no change in that habit the gap between my actual and my lowest weight track has been getting smaller. I am still a little under it but I have a feeling in a few more days it will be realigned.

I am not sure how to interpret the results or if this means I can come off my diuretic anytime soon. I see the doctor next week so I will discuss it with him.

This does seem to suggest though that people that try to "game" the scale by controlling sodium will only get results for a short time before the body equalizes again. I, of course, do not care about upticks on the scale but I do care when I retain 15+ pounds of water.

I do think by trying to be at more of a normal salty level instead of a very salty level will be a benefit to me when I eat maintenance calories though. If nothing else, it won't hurt. Since excess fluid retention can be something other Larger Losers may have to contend with I thought I will post the results of this experiment when I have a clear idea of what is happening. The surgery will force me to restart my spreadsheet so I won't have numbers for a time.
  • conniewilkins56
    I don’t add any salt when preparing or eating food but the amount of sodium in processed meats and canned foods is awful....I never realized how much sodium was in them...I try to rinse any canned beans or veggies with water before using them....every little bit helps....the convenience of cans and jars of sauces and salsas makes them very easy to use over homemade ones but making your own is the best way to control the sodium level....
  • NovusDies
    I don’t add any salt when preparing or eating food but the amount of sodium in processed meats and canned foods is awful....I never realized how much sodium was in them...I try to rinse any canned beans or veggies with water before using them....every little bit helps....the convenience of cans and jars of sauces and salsas makes them very easy to use over homemade ones but making your own is the best way to control the sodium level....

I add salt to the food I prepare I am just trying to add less because I like things quite salty. My doctor has not told me to limit it so it is not a health concern. For me it is more of a comfort concern and I only experience a problem when I eat more food which would normally mean even more salt. I am trying an experiment to see how I handle what I think would be a more normal level of salinity.

From what I have read higher sodium is not a factor in health as much as it was once believed. Some people do need to be on a doctor prescribed low sodium diet but most people are fine just ignoring it.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Number update today:
    1. Today will be day 70 of walking at least 5 miles & 11,000 steps a day.
    2. My streak on MFP is 109 days.
    3. I am down 20 pounds. (Feels like such a small number when you still have 110 to go, but I am proud of it.)
    4. I have walked 538 miles since April 20, 2019.
  • NovusDies
    Numbers Day!

Weight loss by scale: 2.8
    Weight loss by deficit 2.51
    Masking: 0

3 wk RoL: 3.4
    6 wk RoL: 2.93

So the good news for me is that I may be losing a little faster than I expected/desired but I still have the "normal people" sodium experiment going on which probably means I need to give it another week. I know my goal was to get back up to 2.6-2.75 per week but I am mentally uncomfortable going at this pace. I know it is necessary and this plan was reviewed by a RD too but I don't like it. I admit that my first 6 weeks I went pretty hard like @jjlewey did but I quickly brought that back down and I have stayed moderately aggressive since then. I don't care what anyone says I do not want to be fully losing 1 percent per week because I would rather err on the side of preserving lbm. I can justify it for 90 days to get to the weight I need to be at for surgery but I made my choice a long time ago that I wouldn't do it for 2+ years. I think anyone who is in a prolonged deficit needs to be smart about it. If I had a very pressing medical problem that weight loss could reverse I would choose differently but my health is not in any imminent danger.

Checked my BP and it is 101/58. Slightly on the lower side but I have been there during normal sodium weeks so it is nothing I can gauge as notable. Just need to discuss with doctor.

• NovusDies
    Number update today:
    1. Today will be day 70 of walking at least 5 miles & 11,000 steps a day.
    2. My streak on MFP is 109 days.
    3. I am down 20 pounds. (Feels like such a small number when you still have 110 to go, but I am proud of it.)
    4. I have walked 538 miles since April 20, 2019.

You should be proud!

I have always tried to ignore the weight left to lose. I mean I am aware of it but I try not to think of it often. Weight loss is about the small number I can lose today.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    @NovusDies my blood pressure has always been around 105/65, or lower, and my mom has low BP too. especially first thing in the morning. is there a particular reason why you're noting it as "low"? it sounds like you're doing a salt-experiment?

• NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »
    @NovusDies my blood pressure has always been around 105/65, or lower, and my mom has low BP too. especially first thing in the morning. is there a particular reason why you're noting it as "low"? it sounds like you're doing a salt-experiment?

Sorry. I meant slightly on the lower side for me. I run closer to 110 and without my medication (and specifically my diuretic) I run closer to 130. I check my BP a couple of times a week and I thought to check it this morning because I felt slightly off. I also need it to show my doc next week.

I am trying to stop assalting my food. I know... that was corny. I like things quite salty and I am trying an experiment to see how I do under what I think are normal salt levels.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    lol @ assaulting. :)