Resistance training

Where is the best place to start for a total beginner?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Beginner gym classes or a personal trainer
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Personal trainer.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Starting Strength or Sttonglifts.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I use HASfit beginner videos on YouTube with dumbbells
  • whmscll
    edited August 2019
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Be careful of these as a complete beginner. Use online resources and/or a trainer to learn correct form, and do not feel the need to add as much weight as fast as these programs proscribe, especially as a woman. They advocate too much too soon for some people. I sidelined myself several times for months at a time trying to do these programs exactly as written, without realizing it was too much for me as a beginner and without a solid foundation in correct form.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    whmscll wrote: »

Be careful of these as a complete beginner. Use online resources and/or a trainer to learn correct form, and do not feel the need to add as much weight as fast as these programs proscribe, especially as a woman. They advocate too much too soon for some people. I sidelined myself several times for months at a time trying to do these programs exactly as written, without realizing it was too much for me as a beginner and without a solid foundation in correct form.

Yes, I'm a woman in my 50s with knee issues and found no so-called beginner programs actually suitable for me, even though I am not actually a beginner.

@teasie77 I agree with the recommendations for a personal trainer.
  • mcsega
    mcsega Posts: 19 Member
    ^ Agreed. Weight training and crossfit are sports and as with any sport you run the risk of injuring yourself, especially if you start upping the resistance too fast.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »

Yes, I'm a woman in my 50s with knee issues and found no so-called beginner programs actually suitable for me, even though I am not actually a beginner.

@teasie77 I agree with the recommendations for a personal trainer.

And in the same vein, lifting a 45lbs bar was almost half my weight when I started. So no I didn’t go right into a barbell programme when I decided to move from conditioning to weights.

I started with bodyweight, then dumbbells, then requested a lighter bar be brought in when I was ready to move to a barbell. (Still use the 35 over the 45 as I have small hands)

I never had a trainer, but I had been progressing along the basic compounds in one way or another for a couple of years before I touched the bar.

I found AllPro a better beginner option than a straight linear progression like a 3x5 or 5x5.

A trainer would be an excellent option if you can afford one.

Cheers, h
  • teasie77
    teasie77 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks for the tips guys !
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    What about pushups and pullups?
  • whmscll
    What about pushups and pullups?

I do both! They are hard! I actually can’t do an unassisted pullup yet. I think they are both good to incorporate into a strength program.