My new life

I joined MFP on 18th May 2019. The previous day, I'd been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes. Typical of me, I went straight to T2, without the 'pre-diabetes' warning. To say I was devastated is an understatement. I felt a lot of self-pity, but mostly shame. How did I allow myself to put on so much weight? Then I took a long, hard look at myself, and my lifestyle. Retired, enjoying life, lots of holidays, including travelling the world, seeing more of my amazing family, eating out, but.... becoming a couch potato. Lots of healthy food, but also lots of convenient 'chicken ping' type food (3 minutes in the microwave - then 'ping', it's ready to eat). Many pasta meals, potatoes, a sandwich most lunchtimes. And cake. Quite a lot of it, actually. And biscuits. Oh, and chocolate. I almost didn't tell my husband or children about my diagnosis, but I'm thankful I did. My daughter immediately bought me a magazine, which coincidentally featured T2 Diabetes on the cover, plus a book, about how to reverse diabetes (or put it into remission). I read everything I could on the subject, and the very next day, began my journey, of healthy eating, plus gentle exercise. 2 TKRs (Total knee replacement) ops meant I couldn't run. So I danced. Downloaded favourite music onto my iphone, and using my Fitbit to monitor, did a few minutes, several times a day. I reduced the huge amounts of carbs I'd been consuming, using MFP. (I'd never even heard of this site, prior to my diagnosis!). Also reduced my calorie intake. I went for a walk too, most days. The first time, I had to stop 3 times, and couldn't get my breath (I'm asthmatic). In just two weeks, I was a stone lighter. This spurred me on. I went on holiday, and went swimming almost every day. (I'm hopeless at it, but enjoy it very much).

So, fast forward to earlier this week. I'd had another blood test at my Dr's surgery, and on Monday, saw the nurse for my results. I'd lost 2.5 stones,(need to lose another 3st) and my blood test had reduced from 51 to 41. The nurse was almost as delighted as I was!! She said they don't talk about T2 being cured or reversed, so I guess I'm in remission. No going back now, this new life is THE best ever. I can honestly say, that I've never felt hungry. I still eat carbs, but nowhere near as many as before. I no longer bake, or buy cake. I allow myself 2 ginger snap biscuits per day. I have a healthy smoothie for breakfast. Convenience foods are mostly banned from my life now. I walk or dance every day, and use a mini-exercise bike when I can't get out. (British weather!!!). I even roller skated last weekend, for the first time in over 34 years. Not bad for an old lady (well, only 66 actually!).

Apologies for the long post, but if this helps even ONE person to make those changes, then I'm glad I wrote it. Truly, if I can do this, anyone can. Have a great weekend everyone.

Replies

• sebastian58
    sebastian58 Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you for your story the kick i need!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    YAAAYYYY!!! hard work pays off!
  • justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    Nice work! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your story and the inspiration!
  • petethebest
    petethebest Posts: 6 Member
    Great uplifting story! Thanks
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    That's awesome, congratulations! :)
    Roller skating sounds like fun, actually. Haven't done that since I was a kid.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    That's awesome, congratulations! :)
    Roller skating sounds like fun, actually. Haven't done that since I was a kid.

Wear a helmet and knee, hip and elbow pads! Especially if outdoors! Then enjoy.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!