Intermittent fasting

I signed up with this Place where they give you diet advice .. they told me to try intermittent fasting .. but I was starving when I did eat lunch today!! I didn’t like it ..

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    IF is an acquired taste and not always the best place to start. It can really help with appetite and cravings, but definitely not at first.

In any event, it takes a few weeks to get used to IF, so if you can't be patient with it, it's probably not the approach for you right now. You can always circle back to it later on.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    I eat all my food in a 6 hr window as this works best with my schedule. Dont need to take food to work and wake up earlier to prepare or carry anything. I feel so full in those 6 hrs that I'm afraid I overeat, but I always wake up lighter the next morning.

I use coffee and chewing gum as my miniscule calorie bumps to help me get through the day.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I eat in an 8 hour window, usually around 2pm to 10pm. I'm rarely all that hungry in the morning so breakfast was an obvious meal to drop. You still have to count calories if you want to lose weight. My approach while I was getting used to it was to drink a mug of green tea if I felt hungry. I told myself that if I still felt hungry 30mins later I would allow myself a snack. I rarely did feel hungry - most of the time I'd got on with something else and forgotten the hunger. I highly recommend you do allow yourself to feel hungry and not eat immediately, just to prove to yourself that the feeling can go away by itself. Obviously if hunger is making you feel ill, or faint or shaky then eat something, but if it is just annoying then it is possible to learn to ignore it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Typically, I consume my meals in an 8 hour window. I don't refer to it as IF. I just call it life. ☺
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    It makes life simple for me. We eat dinner and supper between 1:00 and 7:00. Some days its as late as 2:00 for dinner. I like to have finished eating a few hours before bedtime. That means finishing supper by 7:00 usually.

The first few days of fasting were hard, it gets easier. It's helped me to quit a bad habit of snacking and night eating.

You are your own boss if you are over 18 and can cook for yourself. So yay or nay, whichever you want. Also, its one of those things you can do one or two or more days a week if you want to.

I haven't felt any lack of energy from not eating breakfast, energy seems to be there whenever I need it. I'm not sedentary, I'm active.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    Please inform yourself well, intermittent fasting is good for men, can cause havoc for women. Remember we are not all the same, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else

Can you expand on this?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Please inform yourself well, intermittent fasting is good for men, can cause havoc for women. Remember we are not all the same, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else

Can you expand on this?

The details are fuzzy but there are people convinced that increased fasting will disrupt a woman's hormonal balance and cause her to stop having a monthly cycle. I believe it is completely false but again I don't remember the details.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Can you expand on this?

The details are fuzzy but there are people convinced that increased fasting will disrupt a woman's hormonal balance and cause her to stop having a monthly cycle. I believe it is completely false but again I don't remember the details.

Really? Never heard of this. I can say that I am a woman who has been doing IF (16:8) since 2013 without the slightest problem. I am prepared to believe that anything can cause havoc to any individual (regardless of gender), so any new approach needs to be treated with caution and evaluated for side effects in the early stages.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    When I did it, I combined it with lengthy walks in hopes of burning fat.

Ate late lunch and dinner, both low cal veggie. Nothing from about 8 PM to 12 noon. Walk in the AM. Especially on weekends. Second half of the walk defintely tougher, but helped in my goals.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Can you expand on this?

Really? Never heard of this. I can say that I am a woman who has been doing IF (16:8) since 2013 without the slightest problem. I am prepared to believe that anything can cause havoc to any individual (regardless of gender), so any new approach needs to be treated with caution and evaluated for side effects in the early stages.

I agree. I also think that for an individual a dietary change can be a contributing factor for a problem that would not be an issue if the other factors were not present. Like increased fasting might interrupt a woman's cycle if she also had name with more than 2 vowels in it and had a cat (being ridiculous on purpose except that cat part - they are always to blame).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    In order for it to be advice, they have to first listen to your goals and preferences? Did they do that? If not, they are just spewing information... might as well pick up a bunch of magazines and throw darts at them for "advice" on what to do.
  • PrincessMelodyj
    PrincessMelodyj Posts: 14 Member
    I've been doing 16:8 IF for some time now...and I love it. I have lost weight and feel more energy early in the day especially.