how many days do you workout?

i'm going to start working out next week because ive been eating the right amont of calories and watching what i eat for the past two weeks so yeah i'm trying to ease into it because i think it will make weight loss more successful because it's not over whelmimg??

so my plan is to work out on monday, thursday, and friday abd doing this workout dvd called pump it up because it's really fun and it's just over an hour long. would you say that's enough times a week to make a difference or should i do more? or should i do it three times a week to begin with and then increase the number?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    For an absolute beginner, I would agree with working out every other day. It’s better to start slowly; you risk burnout or injury by doing too much too soon.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I work out 6 or 7 days a week BUT doing different things at varying intensities. For a beginner I agree with the others - every other day should be fine, though I would recommend you do something on the rest days (e.g. a brisk walk).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    3 times a week is sufficient for assisting with weight loss and overall cardiovascular health. I agree with taking a day in between to start, and seeing how you feel after the workouts. However if the DVD does not involve strength training with weights and you start to feel like you can handle it, doing back to back days should be fine.

When I started I started with 1-2 days a week, with several rest in between. Now I regularly do 5-6 days a week. But I didn't get there overnight. Go slow, trust your body, and move up only when ready.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    It depends on what you want to achieve and why. Is it to just burn more calories short-term, where any cardio will do as long as you reach your goal, is it to become overall more active, improve stamina, build strength? There is no single exercise that fits all goals for all people. In general, it is great to be active for health, so anything you do to move more, is good for you :)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Depends on a lot of factors, for me personally with my lifestyle it's 3-4 days a week. As a beginner, I'd start with 3 days and see how you feel.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I workout 5-7 times a week over the course of 5-6 days, but I would never recommend a beginner do that. I agree with everyone else who says 3 days a week max at this point. I would even say 2 days a week would be fine.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I work out 6 or 7 days a week BUT doing different things at varying intensities. For a beginner I agree with the others - every other day should be fine, though I would recommend you do something on the rest days (e.g. a brisk walk).

Depending on the person’s level of fitness and what exercise they are doing, “active rest” days may or may not be appropriate.

Agreed. One person's "active rest" is another person's vigorous exercise.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Six days a week and one complete rest day
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I work out 6 days a week. Today is my rest day.

As others have stated, working out every other day should be fine starting off.

Keep in mind that burning 500 calories a day everyday would equal one pound loss for the week. 3500 calories burned= 1 pond loss. You could also tie this on with the caloric deficit you already have.

This is not how MFP is designed to be used. If you are following the MFP calorie goal, then you eat back exercise calories and do not use them to create a larger deficit.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I work out 6 days a week. Today is my rest day.

As others have stated, working out every other day should be fine starting off.

Keep in mind that burning 500 calories a day everyday would equal one pound loss for the week. 3500 calories burned= 1 pond loss. You could also tie this on with the caloric deficit you already have.

This is not how MFP is designed to be used. If you are following the MFP calorie goal, then you eat back exercise calories and do not use them to create a larger deficit.
    I’m aware, but thanks for your insight!
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    I work out 6 days a week. M/W/F with a trainer, usually followed by 30 minutes cardio, T/TH cardio only - usually 45-60 minutes. Saturdays are set aside for long bike rides with my husband. As we increase mileage, it's likely that the extra cardio on Fridays will go away. We are working towards a 60-mile ride by January.

Sundays are a rest day. I usually eat back 75% of my calories, sometimes all of them. I recently met with a nutritionist, so I'm getting used to a new way of eating since I'm more conscious of macros. Once I have the hang of them, then I'll likely increase my calorie intake. But I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks, so I'll take that.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I would follow a beginners program that's professionally (or semi professionally) written for best bang for the buck. Several are listed here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That will take the guesswork out of how many rest days/what exercises/weight and/or rep increases and more.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    I’m an all or nothing kind of gal, so for me it’s 7 days a week. (Excluding my travel weeks for work)

But(!) I row for an average of 15-20 minutes per day. So it’s not an hour + long super intense workout. I mostly row for 20-25 min, and designate the 15 min days as “days off”. Weekends I aim for longer rows and ad have been getting 10K meters each day (Saturday and Sunday) for the past month.

I know this isn’t something that works for most people, but it has worked for me for almost a year now. Rowing is as much part of my my morning routine as coffee and brushing my teeth.

Find what works and fits with your life.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    3 days at the gym, 2 at home (though my home "workout" is tiny)
    Monday; 2 hours at the gym
    Tuesday: home
    Wednesday: 30 mins at gym
    Thursday: 2 hours at gym
    Friday; Home
    The weekend I take off.

I've only been going to the gym for 3 months now and love it.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    6 days, Monday - Sat. alternate between cardio and weight training. Sunday is rest day
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    In my experience, for those of us who don't enjoy exercise, it's easier to workout 7 days a week rather than less than that. Because less than that usually means zero.

Starting off, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill, at 5.0 km/hr. That's walking. I increase it by 0.1 each day, and then divide the session into 2 and then 3 parts at different speeds.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    I always start at 3 days a week, then work up to 4. Some weeks I might workout an extra 5th day if I'm feeling good with zero muscle soreness. But I really try to listen to my body. I don't like to overwork my muscles (been laid up too many times from overdoing it--live and learn lessons, I learned my lesson).

I try to give my muscles a day of rest in between workout days.