Intermittent fasting tips??

Started a few weeks ago doing the 16 hr fasting. It can be tough but overall I like it-makes it easier to stick to my calorie goals. Anyone have any long term success with this or suggestions? So far I’ve only lost about 2 lbs even with calorie count at around 1350/day and 4-5 workouts/week 🤷🏼‍♀️

Replies

• debaser_74
    debaser_74 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2019
    Are you tracking/weighing all foods religiously? Including condiments, milk in hot drinks, cooking oils etc? My wife was aiming for around 1400 calories a day but missing a few little things that compounded over the week was almost half a days calories. She just skips breakfast most days now, tracks EVERYTHING and has dropped 42lb in the 7 months since implementing those changes, this includes 2 all inclusive holidays where we, understandably, were not dieting but being mindful about what we ate. Her weight loss had plateaued previously for months. She works in a sedentary job so walks to work (3 mile round trip) and aims for around 20000 steps per day alongside resistance training.
  • MartineMarie2019
    MartineMarie2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,

I’m starting Intermittent fasting with calorie counting today. Like you I’m doing 16:8.

I’ve been watching two ladies on YouTube Jane Gammons and The Livingstones. They were previously followers of SlimmingWorld. Jane Gammons in particular is doing so so well and has inspired me to give it a try.

How much are you hoping to lose do you mind me asking? (if you do mind just ignore that question). Obviously the more you have to lose the more you can expect to shift on a weekly basis.

No breakfast until 11am. I’m hungry already! 🤤

How are you feeling in yourself? Energy levels ect.

Take care

Martine
  • cjohnston468
    cjohnston468 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi Martine-
    Energy levels are great actually! Especially if I can get my workout before I start eating. I drink BCAA powder in my water pre/during/post workouts if I’m fasting and that seems to help. I have found it’s getting easier to fast in the morning.

I really only have 5-8lbs to lose so it’s maybe slower going than if I had more weight to shed. It’s always those last lbs that pose the most resistance!

I will check out those youtubers-thanks for the tip!

Good luck-it’s hard to adjust at first but your body will get use to it pretty quickly.

C
  • MartineMarie2019
    MartineMarie2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi again C,

Well I fasted until 12.30 pm which was longer than planned but we had a family emergency this morning which kept me busy. It wasn’t too bad, I drank two litres of water which kept me feeling full!

I REALLY enjoyed my lunch which was an M&S low fat ready meal. I’m feeling a bit snacky now so am going to grab an apple.

Do you snack in your 8 hours if you are feeling peckish?

Martine 🙂
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2019
    Use something very low on calories but can go in your stomach for placebo affect when you feel hungry. Chewing gum, coffee, tea, carbonated water. I really like Mentos gum: less than 5 calories per piece (and 0 sugar) and good flavor. I do 18:6 and might have to have 2 coffees and 1 or maybe 2 pieces of gum if I find myself too bored and work and thinking about food.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    edited August 2019
    I just started 16:8 today too! (I'm attempting 19:5 though with my schedule) I'm struggling coming up with things to eat to keep me full that aren't super high in calories but today I was right at my 1400 goal! So variety and planning is something I will have to work on!
  • cjohnston468
    cjohnston468 Posts: 3 Member
    Almonds and apples are the best for me!
    I also have done overnight oats and have that ready for my lunch. I do 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup dry oats, 2/3 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds all in a mason jar, mix it, and add frozen berries. By lunch the next day it’s delicious and while it can be a little caloric, it’s under 400 for an entire meal and very little sugar! It keeps me full for a long time and it’s an easy lunch to pack if I’m going to out during lunch time. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey! You should lose some weight immediately from water weight but watch out for dry mouth! Drink tons of water 👍🏻☺️
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    Tea, and lots of it. I make a 48oz of green tea the night before. I use 3 tea bags, and a splash of lemon. I also drink a preworkout with creatine and beta alanine. It doesn't break my fast. I then hit the gym at 5am, and I'm good until lunch at 11:30pm.

Also, much of the success of IF comes down to mindset. Setup a plan and stick to it. Be relentless. Don't apologize to your friends if your eating window doesn't fit with their dinner time. I have a vision for myself, and it's long term. I want to be healthy. IF has so many benefits. I'm currently doing IF 6x a week, and on Sunday I do a 24-36 hour fast. If you need to, put up pics of the body that you want. Research. Get super excited, but also know that it's going to be difficult. It's 80% mental, 20% physical. Good luck.
  • dj_thomp1234
    dj_thomp1234 Posts: 73 Member
    I have great luck with IF! I have also dropped most carbs (i do eat 1/2c of cooked quinoa a day) and I think that helps as well. I also drink a (measured) gallon of water everyday. Good luck!