Introduce Yourself

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Hi @kbrokop welcome to LL.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kbrokop wrote: »
    Hello all, I am a returning begginer who sincerely hopes to stick with it this time. In the past I have lost as much as 40 pounds and was hovering around 160 (I’m 5’3”) but after my mom passed away and a few of my cats got very very sick, two of them dying as well, I fell of the wagon and gained it all back plus more. To be at a “healthy” weight I need to lose 100+ pounds as I’m clocking in at around 235. But I’d be happy to get to around 150. I will graduate as a pharmacist In May and I can’t bare the idea of walking across the stage at this weight. I can’t stand the idea of telling patients to lose weight and to watch what they eat while I look and weigh what I do.
    I’m glad I was referred to this group and hope that I can find some friends and support. I’ve had several failed attempts but I really want to be serious with it as a life style change, not just a diet.
    My goal is to be under 200 lbs by graduation.

Hi @kbrokop,

Welcome. Our group here is for very sensible, realistic, and sustainable approach to weight loss. We embrace our imperfection and the fact that our lives do not stop being lived just because we choose to lose weight.

Your goal of 35 pounds in that amount of time is doable on a calculator and we will help you in whatever way we can. Some people feel they operate better under some pressure. I have enough of it in my life that having more for weight loss makes me resent it more. I do have a goal of being at a healthier weight by my next birthday but I achieve that goal each day I am in a calorie deficit and that is how I approach it.

Some of my posts may be slightly confusing because I am in a hurry-up weight loss phase for an upcoming medical procedure so I am not able to follow my normal plan or philosophy entirely at the moment.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    I'm Jess, 58 lbs down, with at least 109 to go...and even though I will still be considered overweight by the experts. What I'm looking for is to be able to run around and play with my little boy without feeling like I was hit by a truck afterwards! My doc has me on a modified version of Keto (50g instead of 20g of carbs). And it has worked well, but I've been in a statis for some months...barely losing a few pounds in a month, and it is so frustrating! So, here I am, with this community, and several of the apps to try to help keep me going!
  • NovusDies
    I'm Jess, 58 lbs down, with at least 109 to go...and even though I will still be considered overweight by the experts. What I'm looking for is to be able to run around and play with my little boy without feeling like I was hit by a truck afterwards! My doc has me on a modified version of Keto (50g instead of 20g of carbs). And it has worked well, but I've been in a statis for some months...barely losing a few pounds in a month, and it is so frustrating! So, here I am, with this community, and several of the apps to try to help keep me going!

Hi @jafinnearty,

Welcome to LL.

First off you have done an AMAZING job so far. Good for you. I applaud your goal too.

So is it safe to assume you are not currently logging your food and tracking your calories? Keto without calorie counting can stall for some people because of calorie creep. When you start and you cut all those carbs from your diet it naturally creates a calorie deficit and you lose weight. Over time calorie creep might set in and you keep adding fat and protein back into your diet until your deficit diminishes which is apparently what is happening right now.

The good news is that it is very easily fixed and you can get back on your way to your goal. I suggest you start with the threads I have linked in this post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756250/advice-guidance#latest

How is keto treating you? Do you find that it helps suppress your appetite? Does your doctor have you on it for any type of insulin resistance? I ask because some people find it makes things easier and others find that it makes things harder. Also, most doctors are not trained in nutrition so they are not always the best guide for weight loss.

• jafinnearty
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hi @jafinnearty,

Welcome to LL.

First off you have done an AMAZING job so far. Good for you. I applaud your goal too.

So is it safe to assume you are not currently logging your food and tracking your calories? Keto without calorie counting can stall for some people because of calorie creep. When you start and you cut all those carbs from your diet it naturally creates a calorie deficit and you lose weight. Over time calorie creep might set in and you keep adding fat and protein back into your diet until your deficit diminishes which is apparently what is happening right now.

The good news is that it is very easily fixed and you can get back on your way to your goal. I suggest you start with the threads I have linked in this post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756250/advice-guidance#latest

How is keto treating you? Do you find that it helps suppress your appetite? Does your doctor have you on it for any type of insulin resistance? I ask because some people find it makes things easier and others find that it makes things harder. Also, most doctors are not trained in nutrition so they are not always the best guide for weight loss.

Thank you! And you are *exactly* right...my nutritionist has always focused on me watching the carbs, but I cannot remember a single conversation we've had where she has mentioned counting calories! I didn't think much (if anything) of it until recently when I started doing a little more research on why I was stalled for so long. Then BINGO, it all made sense!

I've started logging my intake and exercise on this site now, and it really helps. Since I logged in on Friday, I've hit that 60 pound lost mark! I was so excited and relieved to see it that I almost cried.

I am definitely going to check out the links, so I thank you for that. I've even asked my boyfriend if he'd join the site to help log things with me, and be my every day support system. My mother and sister support me but I only talk to them once or twice a week, and I would like some more regular conversations about all of this.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    @jafinnearty Having your sig. other logging along with you makes things so much easier. My wife cooks and measures/logs ingredients for dinner (I clean!) and I just copy the meal from her log to my log. I'm spoiled :D
  • jafinnearty
    merph518 wrote: »
    @jafinnearty Having your sig. other logging along with you makes things so much easier. My wife cooks and measures/logs ingredients for dinner (I clean!) and I just copy the meal from her log to my log. I'm spoiled :D

That sounds nice! Maybe I'll ask him to do that for me too (for the days he's at my house)!
  • NovusDies
    Hi @jafinnearty,

Welcome to LL.

Thank you! And you are *exactly* right...my nutritionist has always focused on me watching the carbs, but I cannot remember a single conversation we've had where she has mentioned counting calories! I didn't think much (if anything) of it until recently when I started doing a little more research on why I was stalled for so long. Then BINGO, it all made sense!

I've started logging my intake and exercise on this site now, and it really helps. Since I logged in on Friday, I've hit that 60 pound lost mark! I was so excited and relieved to see it that I almost cried.

I am definitely going to check out the links, so I thank you for that. I've even asked my boyfriend if he'd join the site to help log things with me, and be my every day support system. My mother and sister support me but I only talk to them once or twice a week, and I would like some more regular conversations about all of this.

I am glad you pushed forward and started researching on your own. I think it can be very helpful to get ideas and advice from people but ultimately we have to feed ourselves everyday for the rest of our lives so taking charge, I think, is important.

We are all here to discuss, share mutual experiences, and cheer each other along. I believe you will fit right in.
  • meghannkumar29
    meghannkumar29 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi , I’m returning to fitness pal and really need the motivation! I’m a mom of 3 and 32 years old and with thyroid and pcos I’ve just been gaining and gaining all my life, I need to get into shape and get healthy to love for my children. I’m at my highest weight ever at 370 lbs and I at least want to be out of the 300s as soon as possible!!! I need motivation and some good friends on here to keep me on track! Please feel free to addd me :)
  • merph518
    edited August 2019
    @meghannkumar29 Welcome to the group! I just sent you a friend request.

I started from a similar weight (386) about 8 months ago now... and one of my major motivation sources was my daughter. I don't want her to go down the path I did weight-wise, nor do I want to have trouble keeping up with her.
  • NovusDies
    edited August 2019
    Hi , I’m returning to fitness pal and really need the motivation! I’m a mom of 3 and 32 years old and with thyroid and pcos I’ve just been gaining and gaining all my life, I need to get into shape and get healthy to love for my children. I’m at my highest weight ever at 370 lbs and I at least want to be out of the 300s as soon as possible!!! I need motivation and some good friends on here to keep me on track! Please feel free to addd me :)

Hi @meghannkumar29 ,

Welcome to LL.

Just remember that faster is often times slower. I tried to lose weight "fast" for decades and failed. Now I lose weight slower but because it is sustainable I have lost the majority of what I need to lose in the last 19 months. It seems like a long time... it isn't. 30+ years is a long time. This is a drop in the bucket.

You can do it. I know you can.
  • merph518
    I strongly agree with not rushing too much. I don't hold myself to time-based goals. As long as I keep trending downwards weight-wise, I'm happy.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    Hi, I'm Nik, just joined today and returning to MFP after a fairly long break in which I put on all my lost weight and some. I've been back on track for just on a week now and am taking it slow and steady to get the weight off. I'm up at 315lbs and would like to get down under 300lbs by the end of October and then hopefully another 10 to 15lbs by Christmas.

My aims are to get back to riding my horses and playing ice hockey. Both of which I used to do all the time and now really miss due to being too uncomfortably big to balance well enough to do them now.

Hoping to be in a fairly active group with lots going on every day to help me keep my mindset which is currently that today is the last day I'll be this fat. It doesn't really matter by how much over how long just that it constantly drops!
  • NovusDies
    Hi, I'm Nik, just joined today and returning to MFP after a fairly long break in which I put on all my lost weight and some. I've been back on track for just on a week now and am taking it slow and steady to get the weight off. I'm up at 315lbs and would like to get down under 300lbs by the end of October and then hopefully another 10 to 15lbs by Christmas.

My aims are to get back to riding my horses and playing ice hockey. Both of which I used to do all the time and now really miss due to being too uncomfortably big to balance well enough to do them now.

Hoping to be in a fairly active group with lots going on every day to help me keep my mindset which is currently that today is the last day I'll be this fat. It doesn't really matter by how much over how long just that it constantly drops!

Hi @fatoldladyonamission,

I think you have the right idea and the right mindset to fit right in here. We are a fairly new group but I think we are decently active and obviously the more people post the more there will be things to respond to so jump right in.

• meghannkumar29
    meghannkumar29 Posts: 5 Member
    Cabbage soup cleanse to start? Anyone tried it or have recipes ? Is it a good idea or bad? I was really just thinking of making it and having it for dinner a few nights or for lunch ...
  • NovusDies
    Cabbage soup cleanse to start? Anyone tried it or have recipes ? Is it a good idea or bad? I was really just thinking of making it and having it for dinner a few nights or for lunch ...

@meghannkumar29

I am afraid that cleanses are just diet myths. There is no reason to do one unless you really like cabbage soup and you want to eat it for a few days.

I think it is best to start with just eating normally and logging your food. See what a day looks like and then from there try to figure out how to cut back on calories until you are in a deficit.

Check out the threads I linked here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43977604/#Comment_43977604
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    edited August 2019

@meghannkumar29

I am afraid that cleanses are just diet myths. There is no reason to do one unless you really like cabbage soup and you want to eat it for a few days.

I think it is best to start with just eating normally and logging your food. See what a day looks like and then from there try to figure out how to cut back on calories until you are in a deficit.

Check out the threads I linked here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43977604/#Comment_43977604

I agree with @NovusDies, if you dont already know read about what TDEE is. Then use an online TDEE calculator to determine an estimate of your specific TDEE. Then just set a goal on MFP thst creates a deficit and log your food.

Oh and welcome to LL!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Thank you for the welcome guys, much appreciated. Having read the replies above I think I'm going to search out my TDEE and see how it works with the stats MFP has given me!
  • NovusDies
    Thank you for the welcome guys, much appreciated. Having read the replies above I think I'm going to search out my TDEE and see how it works with the stats MFP has given me!

@fatoldladyonamission

It will likely be more since MFP expects you to eat back exercise calories while a TDEE amount includes all energy expenditures. Whichever one you pick to go with is really just a starting place anyway. They get most people correct or very close to correct. For the people it does not get correct it is just means in 6 weeks or so you make an adjustment.

When I started I made the decision to use TDEE not MFP's NEAT system. I am not the kind of person who has large swings in exercise calories and I don't like an inconsistent calorie goal.

The danger of using TDEE is if you are a very active person and you get injured and you are forced to be sedentary for a period of time it may negatively impact your progress.

If you want to use a TDEE calculator I suggest this one:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

The standard list will match up close to MFP's number. I used the nonstandard list when I started because I was sub sedentary initially.
  • fatoldladyonamission

@fatoldladyonamission

It will likely be more since MFP expects you to eat back exercise calories while a TDEE amount includes all energy expenditures. Whichever one you pick to go with is really just a starting place anyway. They get most people correct or very close to correct. For the people it does not get correct it is just means in 6 weeks or so you make an adjustment.

When I started I made the decision to use TDEE not MFP's NEAT system. I am not the kind of person who has large swings in exercise calories and I don't like an inconsistent calorie goal.

The danger of using TDEE is if you are a very active person and you get injured and you are forced to be sedentary for a period of time it may negatively impact your progress.

If you want to use a TDEE calculator I suggest this one:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

The standard list will match up close to MFP's number. I used the nonstandard list when I started because I was sub sedentary initially.

Thank you! That comes out for the most part the same as my fitbit says I'm burning so MFP isn't far out. Which is great because what I'm doing is already reflecting in my results! I'm an obsessive weigher so weigh every day and my scales sync to MFP automatically. Its good to know slow and steady is already working well.