Low cal protein bar recommendations please

124»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Got my built bars tonight. Very odd taste on the mint cream one. At First taste it’s good but as I chew all flavour disappears and it is very strange. Kind of like tasteless gelatin. I’m hoping the other flavours are better. I ordered two boxes to get a better deal so I’m gonna be in trouble if they all taste like this. Also not very sweet. I should be honest and admit this is my first protein bar purchase so maybe my expectations were too high.

I haven’t tried the mint, but have tried most of the other flavors, and I liked them all. The cinnamon I like the least. I like the mocha the best. I haven’t frozen them, but have tried them chilled from the refrigerator and prefer them at room temperature. To me, most protein bars I’ve tried have an after taste that I don’t find with built bars. Some people compare them to a candy bar and I agree. A chewy bar with chocolate coating. I’m about ready to place my fifth order since March.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Got my built bars tonight. Very odd taste on the mint cream one. At First taste it’s good but as I chew all flavour disappears and it is very strange. Kind of like tasteless gelatin. I’m hoping the other flavours are better. I ordered two boxes to get a better deal so I’m gonna be in trouble if they all taste like this. Also not very sweet. I should be honest and admit this is my first protein bar purchase so maybe my expectations were too high.

All their bars have the same texture so if you don't like the marshmallow/gelatin thing you may be out of luck. Again I enjoy them most straight out of the freezer (and then it also takes me longer to eat/chew them). Maybe you can resell to get some money back if you decide they aren't for you.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well the banana was better. I’m gonna try freezing the remainder of the mint one as I only ate a quarter of it. I love that they are only 110 calories. So I’m motivated to like them. Also almost $100 worth of motivation too since I ordered two boxes. Canada price came to about $88. I was expecting a kind of candy bar experience so might have been unrealistic. The shipping and customer service were top notch.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    For some reason, the Built Bar made my head hurt afterwards. First time (with the yummy banana chocolate creme one), I thought it was a fluke. After I had the chocolate mint one, my head started hurting shortly after. Maybe it’s the sweetness. Today, I’ll have one directly from the freezer and with lots of water.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I don’t think anyone here has recommended Quest protein bars, or have they? I tried one today, and didn’t like it more than pure protein bars. The Pure Protein bars are better nutrition wise as well (21g protein, 17g carb, 4.5 fat).

I can’t eat Quest bars much anymore. I think they reformulated again. If I eat more than 1 a week, I have very uncomfortable gas, bloating and constipation for days.

• PiscesIntuition
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone here has recommended Quest protein bars, or have they? I tried one today, and didn’t like it more than pure protein bars. The Pure Protein bars are better nutrition wise as well (21g protein, 17g carb, 4.5 fat).

I can’t eat Quest bars much anymore. I think they reformulated again. If I eat more than 1 a week, I have very uncomfortable gas, bloating and constipation for days.
    Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with Quest protein bars.

• PiscesIntuition
    Mind if I bump this?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Just wanted to drop in one more time. I froze the remainder of my mint bar and it was better. I also bought a Quest bar yesterday and it was amazing though twice the calories. I have read that the formula was changed from sucralose to a sugar alcohol which would explain why some have issues digesting it.

On the Built bar I wanted to comment on how satiating it is. Although I truly don't care for the consistency and the way the flavour disappears quickly as you chew it does stay with me a long time so for a meal replacement it's pretty good although my goal was something low cal for between meals.

It would appear that protein bars are a very individual thing like any food I guess. It's interesting the different opinions that people have about each one. I really appreciate this thread so thanks to the OP for asking.
  • PiscesIntuition
    Great idea Tomek!
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    I would suggest that you make your own protein (and other) bars so you know exactly what goes into them and that they fit in with your healthy life style. You will also appreciate and enjoy them much more, since you have made them yourself and there are no plastic wrappers either.

Great suggestion. I've thought about it, getting the ingredients from Sprouts, etc. Can you share a recipe?
  • LillyStar24
    LillyStar24 Posts: 77 Member
    Built Bars.
    15 grams protein
    110 calories
    Real chocolate, chewy bars. Many flavors, my favorite is chocolate mocha.
    You have to order online. As far as I know they aren’t sold in stores.

This! There are so many flavors :love::yum:
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    I'm another Built Bar fan! I take advantage of their rewards points, so have been able to save a few $ each time I've ordered keeping the cost comparable to other protein bars. So far all the flavors I've tried have been good; the blueberry cheesecake was probably my least favorite. My favorites are the orange and the coconut. I usually order a custom box and get 6 flavors each time. The texture doesn't bother me, but my hubby really doesn't like the gooey texture....which means he leaves my bars alone :D
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited August 2019
    FWIW, a box of 21 Pure Protein bars was on sale at $5 off at only $13 something per box at Costco. Only about 66 cents per bar. It doesn't get any cheaper than that!

Bought a box the other day even though I didn't need it.