Gluten Free Roux Ideas Please!

Options
Crafty_camper123
Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
I am going to be making gumbo in the dutch oven for a camping trip this weekend. One of my friends is gluten free, so I'd like to be able to accomodate him for this meal. I am wanting to make ahead the roux and then take it out camping to add when I assemble the gumbo ingredients.

-Now, I realize I can just omit the roux part altogether & thicken using corstarch or something like that. However, there is a flavor that is missing when I omit that part in favor of going gluten free.

What else can I use that would at the very least impart that toasty flavor that makes it taste like gumbo should? I can thicken in other ways.

I do have almond flour on hand, and I have both xanthan gum, and corn starch as well.

In luiu of buying a specific flour just for 1 recipie, I wonder if almond flour would work? Google does not seem to think it would, lol. I know it wont have the same thickening effect, so I could add corns starch or xanthan gum later on. Would it make it bitter and off putting and/or grainy? Neither are flavors I would want to add. I have come up with google results using xanthan gum as well, but it's basically browning it and then using it right away. Not sure how it would work for a make-ahead roux mix. I'm trying to streamline my recipie for camping and not bring a ton of components that I have to prepare on site.

I could just suck it up and go buy rice flour or all purpose gluten free flour, but I am hoping to pick the brains of my mfper's here first. What say you? Ideas?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I've never done this myself, but the toasted rice powder used to absorb liquid in Thai larb comes to mind.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/05/how-to-make-thai-toasted-rice-powder.html
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I've never done this myself, but the toasted rice powder used to absorb liquid in Thai larb comes to mind.

That's interesting... I see the recipie asks specifically for sticky rice. Is there a difference between that and white rice? I always thought sticky rice was simply made by preparing white rice a certain way... now I'm uncertain.
  • acpgee
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

That's interesting... I see the recipie asks specifically for sticky rice. Is there a difference between that and white rice? I always thought sticky rice was simply made by preparing white rice a certain way... now I'm uncertain.

Sticky rice has a higher starch content than normal rice. If you need to buy it especially, typical uses for leftovers are risotto, sushi, congee (Chinese rice porridge), rice based desserts.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Now that I think about it, chickpea flour in your roux is probably a good choice.

https://watchlearneat.com/chickpea-flour-gravy-vegan-gluten-free/

If you need to buy it especially, I normally keep for battering or dusting savoury foods that are baked or pan fried (okra, fish, shrimp) and also for making air fried chips. You can also use it for savoury pancakes and flatbreads.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/02/chips-potatoes-french-fries-cassava-plantain-chickpeas
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have only done this using the dove farm gluten free blend (rice, potato, tapioca) but you don't get the same flavour as you would using wheat flour. It just doesn't cook out the same way as wheat. Even that time I basically burned it trying. The gumbo was still great tho even without it.

Chickpea flour might be worth a try as it does get you a kind of savoury flavour, even if again it won't be the same. Chickpea is a flavour some people don't take to so you might just have to ask him if he likes it.

Honestly, as a ceoliac I'm lucky if friends/ family remember to check the back of a packet for me so I'm vicariously grateful for the effort you're going to. Even if you don't get the same toasty roux a gf gumbo made with care specially for you is going to be delicious.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    That special roux flavour is not in the flour but comes from the slightly fried butter. Fry your butter until it has the colour of nuts - but not too dark, otherwise it will taste burned. You will smell it when it is just right. Use the butter right away - or it will keep on frying in the pan. I use different vegetables (celery, carrots etc.) as a thickener or a little cornflour.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    That special roux flavour is not in the flour but comes from the slightly fried butter. Fry your butter until it has the colour of nuts - but not too dark, otherwise it will taste burned. You will smell it when it is just right. Use the butter right away - or it will keep on frying in the pan. I use different vegetables (celery, carrots etc.) as a thickener or a little cornflour.

Oh yeah browned butter would probably work! This might be a good option to do, so I don't have to go out and buy something special that I may not use for anything else. I think I will make it ahead though and just add it as a flavor enhancer. I'm not confident enough to brown butter over a campfire with the inconsistant heat, since I wont be at home to scrap it and start over if it burns. I guess when in doubt though, a whole pound of butter doesn't take up much cooler space, lol.

Thanks for the ideas folks!