Any advice on creatine?

2»

Replies

• DM88ENT
    DM88ENT Posts: 31 Member
    warnongbri wrote: »
    DM88ENT wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering what everyone is taking for creatine. I'm very new to using supplements. I hear a lot of kidney and liver problems. Just looking for tips. I appreciate your time!

Andrew

Creatine monohydrate is what I use.
    It's also the kind that has been researched the most.

On kidneys, I think I remember reading that the risks that were previously thought have been revisited and that it's more of an issue for those with a pre existing condition.

Thanks monohyderate it is.
  • DM88ENT
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I use creatine mono. Not as consistently as it should be used (5g per day) because I keep the bag at work and take it before the gym but sometimes I forget.

What I do notice is that it gives me a bigger pump/veinz after the workout.

Other than that, don't know, can't tell any difference whatsoever. Possibly some water retention, but if so it's just making my muscles look fuller so I don't mind.

Re the kidneys thing, I dont think creatine is a contributor to kidney problems, however, since I have started eating more protein than before, my urea levels in my blood work have increased to be above the normal range. Not heaps above, but always a bit above. Dr said that it's normal in athletes.

If you have kidney problems though and your urea is high, then that is not a good thing.

I guess the dr it is.. I'll have to get blood work done to verify all is good. Thanks!
  • DM88ENT
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tried it twice, first time couldn't tell any difference at all.
    Second time it upset my stomach and gave no positive benefits at all.
    I might be a non-responder, I might simply get enough from my regular diet without supplementation.

But it's well studied, safe, inexpensive and helps a lot of people. Worth a try IMHO.
    Examine.com has a comprehensive write up on it which addresses your concerns.
    https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

I wouldn't bother with a loading phase as that's unnecessary - just a daily small dose at whatever time of day suits you, timing around exercise isn't required as it works by saturation.

Thanks for the insight. I will checkout the article bud.
  • DM88ENT
    RovP6 wrote: »
    Creapure is the stuff to go for. There's lots of evidence to suggest it's worth taking creatine and as others have said it's pretty inexpensive.

I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • Letsdreadlift
    Letsdreadlift Posts: 29 Member
    Purple K is my favourite.
  • cerillo_encendido
    cerillo_encendido Posts: 74 Member
    @DM88ENT
    I would drink nothing less than a gallon a day, more if possible, regardless of if it’s a workout day or rest day. Reason being that when you take creatine regularly it is constantly pulling water into your muscles. I know this is hard because you typically aren’t as thirsty on the days you rest which is why we tend to drink less. But no. Just make it a habit to drink a gallon everyday no matter what. You may even see that you need 1.5 gallons. I have a half gallon jug that I’m constantly finishing and refilling so i know exactly what my water intake is on a daily basis. Try it out and see if it works for you!!
  • DM88ENT
    @DM88ENT
    I would drink nothing less than a gallon a day, more if possible, regardless of if it’s a workout day or rest day. Reason being that when you take creatine regularly it is constantly pulling water into your muscles. I know this is hard because you typically aren’t as thirsty on the days you rest which is why we tend to drink less. But no. Just make it a habit to drink a gallon everyday no matter what. You may even see that you need 1.5 gallons. I have a half gallon jug that I’m constantly finishing and refilling so i know exactly what my water intake is on a daily basis. Try it out and see if it works for you!!

Sounds good bud, I sure will.. I live in the desert too 120 degrees in my garage working out. You would think I would be drinking more right? Alright thanks for your time responding.
  • DM88ENT
    Purple K is my favourite.

Thanks I'll check it out! Any specific reason why this over others?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    It's pretty easy to determine if you're getting enough liquids based on the color of your urine, as long as you're not taking something with riboflavin in it, like vitamin B12. There are a few other nutrients that can affect the color but it's not an issue for most.
    https://hydratem8.co.uk/hydration/time-to-talk-about-the-colour-of-your-pee/
  • ConnerMichaels31
    ConnerMichaels31 Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2019
    Six star creatine monohydrate powder. Just straight creatine unflavored not the fruit punch stuff. Walmart $12. Preload if you like but it's not really necessary. Also you dont need to cycle off. 5 grams a day is sufficient. Mix it in water or put it in Oatmeal. Drink around a gallon of water daily to prevent dehydration and ensure the muscles are loaded. Hope this helps
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    After my research, I decided to go with Kre-Alkalyn capsules. I've had no problems with bloating. And supposedly you don't need to cycle it.