Things people say when you lose weight

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I recognise a lot of these comments - particularly the ones about “ooh, don’t get too thin” (I am currently right at the top of “normal weight” BMI within a whisper of “overweight” - I’ll start worrying about “being too thin” when my trousers are falling down, NOT while I can’t pull them up and over my thighs!!)

However, I also recognise some of these comments because I have SAID some of them before. 😬. What SHOULD people say? I know I might get comments advising that I say nothing at all, but people often like their efforts to be noticed. The catch-all “you look great” works, right?

Yes, “you look great” always works. This is what Ihave heard most often, and it’s nice to have my hard work acknowledged.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

However, I also recognise some of these comments because I have SAID some of them before. 😬. What SHOULD people say? I know I might get comments advising that I say nothing at all, but people often like their efforts to be noticed. The catch-all “you look great” works, right?

My stance is that saying nothing is often the best course. The only time I’d comment on someone’s body/size is if they had been making a lot of noise about dieting/trying to lose weight. You just don’t know someone’s circumstances (maybe they’re sick or going through a hard time) or their history with eating disorders.

I haven’t told anyone I’m trying to lose weight (down about 10lbs). It’s awkward when people make comments about my body. When they do, I just blow them off & say they are mistaken

I have lost 40 lbs. Telling them they are mistaken is going to land one of us in the psych ward. I smile, maybe say thank you, then clam up when they want to make a conversation of it.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I tend to go with "you look good--whatever you are doing is working for you."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!