Anyone have a recipe for low calorie protein bars?

cheryldumais
cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
I've started buying protein bars but they are ridiculously expensive. Anyone have a good recipe? I just want to make some for lower calorie snacks and/or meal replacements under 200 calories.

Replies

• jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    I have one that I've been making since the beginning of the summer. It's in my recipes on my profile. Can they be viewed? 189 calories per serving. Can be adjusted to suit your needs.

Or add me as a friend and I'll message it to you.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Interested
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    There are some ideas in the thread linked below. I posted a recipe that I have used there.

But I concur with @purplefizzy's comments in the thread - it's pretty hard to beat the Costco bars at $1 or so.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10725825/protein-bar-recipes#latest
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    1 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    1 cup, mashed, Bananas, raw
    43 g, Raisins
    0.25 cup, Black Coffee
    2 Tbsp (15g), Butterscotch Chips
    3 scoop 25g, Impact Whey Caramel
    2 cup, Old Fashioned Oatmeal
    1 oz, Wheat germ
    2 tsp(s), Spices, cinnamon, ground
    2 grams (2 tablespoons), Unsweetened Coconut Flakes

Bake 22-25 minutes at 375.

I use a small toaster/convection oven and you need to monitor how long. I wait until the coconut gets brown on the edges. I've baked as long as 28 minutes since my oven is off a couple degrees in both directions.

There's no dairy. Obviously, the ingredients can be substituted. I've used almond milk instead of coffee. Just be careful with the coffee or whatever liquid you use. It can make the bars too moist in the center. I prefer it that way, but some won't.
    Chocolate chips instead of butterscotch and various flavors of protein powder.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving calories 189
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 8 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 1 mg 0 %
    Sodium 31 mg 1 %
    Potassium 226 mg 6 %
    Total Carbohydrate 29 g 10 %
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 13 %
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 11 g 22 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 4 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 7 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Well here goes nothing... gonna try this. Thanks
  • jasonschildt
    jasonschildt Posts: 1 Member
    I make my own peanut butter (chunky, not crunchy). In a small bowl I mix random amounts of rolled oats, spelt, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Add one TBS of peanut butter and mash/roll it around until it doesn't stick anymore.
    I roll these into either aluminium or plastic foil, golfball size, before a long run or ride. Pretty darn easy and less than store bought bars.
    I like the idea from the guy (@just_tomek) who adds ground coffee beans. I have to try that one.