I thought I was taller.

2»

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    When I was measured for a job medical 27 years ago I was told I was just under 5'2"
    When I was measured for a routine medical at the doctors two years ago I was told I was 5'3"

Now I just go for 5'2 1/2" and split the difference :D
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    It definitely says 5'2'' on my license. I don't think I've ever been officially measured as 5'2'' lol. I'm definitely 5'1''. I think it was wishful thinking that I was still growing, but I definitely stopped growing at 14.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    For a very long time I thought I was 5'1", it's even what is stated on my license, but about 15 years ago I found out I'm 5'2". At my physical a couple of weeks ago the nurse measuring my height was being very specific and listed me at 5'2 1/8"

I guess when you're short people try to give you every little bit they can :joy:
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Every time I have had my annual physical for the past 20 years they come up with a different height for me. I vary between 5'8.75" and 5'10.9" if you believe the medical folks. A few times (at my shortest) they have snuck up on measuring my height when I thought they were just weighing me, so I was probably slumping. A few times I was wearing socks that were rather thick so I was probably measured too tall then. I have gone back and picked out the obvious outliers and averaged the remaining heights, so I now use this average to calculate my BMI.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I had the reverse happen. I thought I was 5’2.5” and at my last doctors appointment I was measured as 5’3.25”. I call it 5’3” now :)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    jayemes wrote: »
    I had two different nurses at two different doctor's offices tell me I was 5'7 1/2" when I always thought I was 5'8".
    I said to both at the time "so basically 5'8 " and they both said emphatically no. I think five foot seven and a half inches is literally the most awkward and monotonous height to be.

try being 4' 11.5" lol
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    You shrink as you get older. I assume the spine compresses plus core weakness can affect posture. My 80 year old husband is now shorter than I am, though he used to be a couple of inches taller. I've lost some height, but not as much as he has. I used to be 5'6.5" but at the doctor's I am either 5'5.5 or 5.6" depending on the day.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Spine compresses and your spinal disks wear out, compress, and otherwise shrink. Ugghh. I was always 5'7", but now i just measured myself and it's officially 5'6.5". Kind of sad about this, but i need a neck surgery after the accident, and my surgeon told me i will regain 0.25". So if it's true, it would bring me a bt closer to my 5'7". But not quite. So how's 5'6.75" for a number, :( ?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    How do you not know how tall you are? I am not understanding this :D aside from height shrinkage with age. that i can understand LOL

I'm 5'1 on a good day, standing REALLY straight. most days with normal posture, closer to 5'0.

I like being short. good thing since i cant change it and do not under any circumstance wear heels.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I lost close to 2" or else was mis-measured a long time ago. My husband always thought he was 5'10". Our youngest is an inch or two taller than my husband so we guesstimated he was 6'. But when we measured him he was 5'10.5". My husband was devastated. LOL
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    How do you not know how tall you are? I am not understanding this :D aside from height shrinkage with age. that i can understand LOL

I'm 5'1 on a good day, standing REALLY straight. most days with normal posture, closer to 5'0.

I like being short. good thing since i cant change it and do not under any circumstance wear heels.

I had to have been measured wrong over a decade ago, and I haven't been measured since. Every time I have a doctors appt they ask my height and I've always said 5'5 because it was the last height I was measured at. But no one has ever rechecked because, as you said, I should know my height lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I list at 5'10"...I'm really between 5'9.5" and 5'9.75"...I just round up...I don't think .5-.75 inches is a big deal...it's the width of the tip of my point finger.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    I reached my adult height of 5'9" in the summer before 7th grade, making me the tallest kid in my class for a brief while. Unfortunately, by the time basketball season arrived I was no longer the tallest, and since I lacked any actual skills to play the game I never tried out for the team, lol.

When I joined the military, I was officially listed as 5'10", then when I left the military ten years later I was back to 5'9". As both height measurements were taken by a woman shorter than me by several inches, I consider both numbers suspect.

My son looked me in the eye at age 12. He has since surpassed me, and jokes about looking down at his own father. I always tell him I have him by a good 50 pounds, so he still needs to listen to me, lol.

My uncle graduated high school at 5'6", enlisted in the Marines a few weeks later. Wrote home often but never visited until after his enlistment ended four years later. He remembers standing in the airport watching his own mother walk right past him, not recognizing him. Probably had something to do with the fact he was now 6'4". He said he literally had to have his uniform re-issued twice during basic training as he gained several inches and twenty pounds during the first three months there. He liked to tell anybody who asked about his growth spurt that it's because he joined the Marines.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    On the silly side.

We have started one of those height door jamb charts at my mum’s.
    Except it is to record out shrinkage as we age. (Mum is in her 90’s and we three haitches (yes, I’m the middle one) are all in our 60’s)

I’m the tallest and mum, once 5’, is now a head shorter than me. Haitch1 used to be the same height as me and is reading a little shorter, I think it is posture and she is working on it.
    Haitch3 has always been 2” shorter and is holding her own.

@JaydedMiss, I have often wondered about that, it seems reasonable.

Anyone with research?

Cheers, h.

I love this! I think that we will start doing with with me, my mother, and my sis!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    The military measuring us in cm instead of inches pretty much removed any wishful thinking on my part. I always say 5' 7", but in reality it's more like 5' 6.66"
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    That's ok, I'm only 4'10"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I feel like everyone is shorter than they think. Have you ever seen the listed heights for actors or athletes? Chop 2 to 3 inches off their listed height and maybe you get an accurate reflection of reality.

I go by 5'11, although I'm probably legitimately around 5' 10.5". I tend to be taller than most " 5'11" guys I know because they are legitimately like 5'9". I've considered telling people I'm 6 feet and feel like I could get away with it, but it doesn't quite feel right to me.

Adding inches to height is the # 1 Biggest Lie in Online Dating according to research done by OkCupid.

I found it very common when I was online dating. Even a guy who was 6'3" added an inch. (My ex was 6'4" so I knew what that was next to me.)

https://theblog.okcupid.com/the-big-lies-people-tell-in-online-dating-a9e3990d6ae2
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I feel like everyone is shorter than they think. Have you ever seen the listed heights for actors or athletes? Chop 2 to 3 inches off their listed height and maybe you get an accurate reflection of reality.

I go by 5'11, although I'm probably legitimately around 5' 10.5". I tend to be taller than most " 5'11" guys I know because they are legitimately like 5'9". I've considered telling people I'm 6 feet and feel like I could get away with it, but it doesn't quite feel right to me.

Yeah, I've met some pro hockey players, and then looked at their listed height and thought, "Yeah, maybe in SKATES, buddy."
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    Height can vary an inch or more. It all depends. First use centimeter, because, well just because.
    Mornings people tend to be their tallest. If you have been on your feet for hours, you'll be shortest. Yoga/posture can vary things quite a bit too. Lots of variables.

But it is really good to think about, try it in the morning three or four times in a row. Figure out a really good estimate. It is like weighing everyday, why not have a very good approximation and get to understand the trends and variances.
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Height can vary an inch or more. It all depends. First use centimeter, because, well just because.
    Mornings people tend to be their tallest. If you have been on your feet for hours, you'll be shortest. Yoga/posture can vary things quite a bit too. Lots of variables.

But it is really good to think about, try it in the morning three or four times in a row. Figure out a really good estimate. It is like weighing everyday, why not have a very good approximation and get to understand the trends and variances.

That's a great idea! I was around 10 hours into my shift at work so had been on my feet all day. I'll measure tomorrow morning and see what I get. Thanks!