Haircuts AFTER weight-loss success stories~Do you luv it or hate it&would u cut all your hair again?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am chiming in as someone who has had pixie short hair MANY times and then grown it out to shoulder length and longer...it's a big adjustment, but you get used to it just as quickly. Having very short hair can feel awesome! It dries more quickly and is fun to style. It's always "new" fresh hair so there's no concern about split ends and it tends to stay shiny too! You can wear very bold accessories and they always show up...or even tiny delicate earrings/necklaces show up and get comments more with very short hair. I think it can be very chic & feminine.

And yes it does grow out if you don't love it or get sick of it, but there are definitely awkward phases along the way when growing it back out (if you do). That is something you can deal with and even enjoy with various clips and headbands -- and hats if you're a hat person. I honestly think it's kind of fun and tend to chop my hair every few years for this reason...so many in between styles you can do, if you decide to grow it back longer.

For me, there's not a big correlation between long/short hair and my feeling thinner or heavier. I was just as likely to go for a pixie when I was at my heaviest weight. I know that's a thing though for a lot of people and I may be in the real minority in feeling it's not too related for me!

If you really want to do it, I say go for it. I've known a lot of ladies who wanted to try a pixie but sort of settled for a chin-length cut and really didn't get the pixie/super short 'urge' tamed by doing that! It's a "safer" option but I say just DO IT and get the exact cut you want, even if it's a little intimidating to you!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I went from really long hair to really short hair once. It looked great. I have an oval face and my hair was blond. I was really cute and easy to take care of. It also made me feel more confident. I think you should go for it.

Thank you ever so much for your inspirational reply...I'm feeling more and more "confident and delighted" about doing it and less and less afraid hesitant undecided about it.

BTW-I've ALWAYS loved that word..."serendipity" I remember when I first discovered that word many many moons ago, it was from one of my books as a youngster called ""serendipity" and we had to do a study on that word and again, I always just loved it from when I first heard it!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I am chiming in as someone who has had pixie short hair MANY times and then grown it out to shoulder length and longer...it's a big adjustment, but you get used to it just as quickly. Having very short hair can feel awesome! It dries more quickly and is fun to style. It's always "new" fresh hair so there's no concern about split ends and it tends to stay shiny too! You can wear very bold accessories and they always show up...or even tiny delicate earrings/necklaces show up and get comments more with very short hair. I think it can be very chic & feminine.

And yes it does grow out if you don't love it or get sick of it, but there are definitely awkward phases along the way when growing it back out (if you do). That is something you can deal with and even enjoy with various clips and headbands -- and hats if you're a hat person. I honestly think it's kind of fun and tend to chop my hair every few years for this reason...so many in between styles you can do, if you decide to grow it back longer.

For me, there's not a big correlation between long/short hair and my feeling thinner or heavier. I was just as likely to go for a pixie when I was at my heaviest weight. I know that's a thing though for a lot of people and I may be in the real minority in feeling it's not too related for me!

If you really want to do it, I say go for it. I've known a lot of ladies who wanted to try a pixie but sort of settled for a chin-length cut and really didn't get the pixie/super short 'urge' tamed by doing that! It's a "safer" option but I say just DO IT and get the exact cut you want, even if it's a little intimidating to you!

I love this! Thank you so much for your reply {{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I did a big chop and added reddish highlights after losing 43 lbs (below is before and after pic) not a pixie but as short as I dared to go at the time. I’ve since grown it out long again but short hair certainly has it’s perks... using a lot less shampoo and conditioner, less tangling and less drying time. I’m enjoying my long hair now but toying with the idea of getting a bob style for the fall season. I’d say go for it and have fun with your hair! :)
    5gkm7mfwmwa4.jpeg

You are GORGEOUS, period. You remind me of Sophia Loren (when she was young), I'm sure you hear that a lot! I also super love your hair cut and the red in it is the bombdotcom...I LOVE IT! Thank you ever so much for posting pics.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited August 2019
    Here are my pictures if anyone is interested: there's the before, then the pixie, then the growing out stage, and how it currently is (sorry that last one is so huge :o )
    kkze486070p6.jpg
    62qgevvipzz8.jpg
    qxcx483q82dd.jpg
    sskt8mvrv0w2.jpg

Honey...you are gorgeous and your style is EVERYTHANG, I LOVE those black shoes in the first pic and the second pic, your hair, your glasses, your earrings, your top and jeans---that look is so my style (now that I'm slim and trim) and 100% inspirational in/for my getting a pixie cut. Your third pic shows your classic beauty and style and is so fabulous and pretty & CUTE ( I would rock that dress in a New York minute)...I LOVE looking pretty and CUTE--your last pic truly shows not only your outer beauty, but your inner beauty too, you look so lovely and happy in that last pic. WOW, thank you ever so much for posting...you ROCK, period.

ETA: Girrrrllllll, that pixie cut looks TREMENDOUS on you--I LOVE IT! Also your weight blastification is mega wonderful too--YAY YOU!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited August 2019
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I expected to see lots of photos here! Love the chart, though. Very helpful.

I got mine super short after 25 pounds. Wonder what I'll do when I hit goal! 😗

YAY YOU Lynda! Maybe color? Because I really really love my natural color so much--always have, the idea of coloring my hair NEVER enter into my mind until posting this. So yeah, WOW...
    {{ B) wide-eyed smiling from ear to ear :D }} with even the "thought" of coloring my hair! This thread is somehow making me feel younger and sassier for some reason, I LOVE IT!

Nooooooooooooo! No color for moi. My grays are growing in quite nicely. I love my grays and my scars. 😁

I can dig it, 100% on the no color. Coloring one's hair looks fun and pretty and just about all of my family and friends color their hair--but I think before I entertain putting color in my fabulous hair (I'm sorry to sound "vain", but I love my hair color so much--it so suits me to a tee). I also find it AMAZING that I only have a very few strands of gray hair, as old as I am--that maybe another reason I LOVE my natural hair color as well. YAY you for loving your grays and scars too, how cool of you!

I think before entertaining getting my hair colored, I first need to get used a short hair cut first. That's going to be something "extra" to and for me and I don't want to over-it-do all at once. Once super mega change at a time I think for me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am in a bit different situation. I cut mine off as part of my weight loss journey, just to have a drastic change.

It really depends on your face shape and your hair texture. Mine doesn't exactly pixie because it has a mind of its own: one of the most common questions when I first chopped it off was "Did you know you had curly hair?!" Yes, I have has this head all my life, it is just also very fine, so it weighs itself down as it grows.

The nice thing about hair is that it grows back.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I am in a bit different situation. I cut mine off as part of my weight loss journey, just to have a drastic change.

It really depends on your face shape and your hair texture. Mine doesn't exactly pixie because it has a mind of its own: one of the most common questions when I first chopped it off was "Did you know you had curly hair?!" Yes, I have has this head all my life, it is just also very fine, so it weighs itself down as it grows.

The nice thing about hair is that it grows back.

Wow, how impressive and COOL of you to cut your hair as part of your weight loss journey, just to have a drastic change...that's the stuff "tough" people do...YAY YOU! You're right, it's just hair and it will grow back too.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not so much a weight loss hair story, but a hair and haircut story nonetheless. I was always terrified to cut my hair, which had been long since high school, until my mid-40s. It's quite curly, but fine, and I'd had so many terrible haircuts as a young person because it's "difficult". Mostly, I wore it pulled back in one way or another. Then came chemotherapy, so I cut it short in prep, then of course it fell out and I was bald for a while. It came in super super curly at first (we call it the "chemo perm", it's so common). At first as it grew in, it was like having a crewcut, then one day I woke up and there were ten thousand cowlicks all over my scalp!

Once it started growing out, I realized it was easier and looked better short. I started with quite short, and later went to even shorter. Now that I'm thinner, I tell people the style I'm going for is "frantic gray Q-tip".

I like the gray, which probably makes me look older, but I think it suits me, and it's a decent shade of gray (silver-y blue-gray in front, darker in back, not yellow-y gray or something). Still over the summer, I had it dyed for the very first time in my life: A young friend of mine who's a stylist layered a semi-permanent purple into the gray, so there was a very subtle hazy lavendar zone toward the front, and a few strands of darker purple, with most of my head still gray. It was fun, though very very subtle, so I may repeat it later, but a little more purple.

Short hair is just so much easier to deal with. (Only bald was easier, and that wasn't really my best look ever. ;) )

You might rock the bald if you weren't also dragging from the chemo!

I thought I was going gray pretty fast and was looking forward to gray and purple. With light brown, I just can't commit to a color, even for a month.
  • AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not so much a weight loss hair story, but a hair and haircut story nonetheless. I was always terrified to cut my hair, which had been long since high school, until my mid-40s. It's quite curly, but fine, and I'd had so many terrible haircuts as a young person because it's "difficult". Mostly, I wore it pulled back in one way or another. Then came chemotherapy, so I cut it short in prep, then of course it fell out and I was bald for a while. It came in super super curly at first (we call it the "chemo perm", it's so common). At first as it grew in, it was like having a crewcut, then one day I woke up and there were ten thousand cowlicks all over my scalp!

Once it started growing out, I realized it was easier and looked better short. I started with quite short, and later went to even shorter. Now that I'm thinner, I tell people the style I'm going for is "frantic gray Q-tip".

I like the gray, which probably makes me look older, but I think it suits me, and it's a decent shade of gray (silver-y blue-gray in front, darker in back, not yellow-y gray or something). Still over the summer, I had it dyed for the very first time in my life: A young friend of mine who's a stylist layered a semi-permanent purple into the gray, so there was a very subtle hazy lavendar zone toward the front, and a few strands of darker purple, with most of my head still gray. It was fun, though very very subtle, so I may repeat it later, but a little more purple.

Short hair is just so much easier to deal with. (Only bald was easier, and that wasn't really my best look ever. ;) )

Same here! I loved being bald but I was only 34 then....My hair also came in curly but never did come back all the way.....I still have virtually bald spots eventho that has been nearly 20 years ago.
  • lyttlefish
    lyttlefish Posts: 557 Member
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    A lot of it has to do with the shape of your face. I can't get away with pixie cuts because I have a rectangular face. If you have an oval, square or a circular face I believe those are best. Google it though, just to be sure. :)

Oops. Guess I was wrong! Though they still don't have the rectangle..

Always great to step out of your comfort zone. Hair will always grow back. If you have a GOOD stylist, he/she will cut to your face shape. I say GO FOR IT GIRL
    patricia
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    The other interesting thing about hair is how the texture can change as you age.

I was born with straight fine hair. I wanted wavy hair so bad. But no, straight as a board.

Until post menopause. Woke up one morning, washed my hair, took the towel off and sproing, wavy hair. I kept looking for cameras in the bathroom like I was being pranked. Nope, I now have wavy hair. 😀
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}} Thanks so much for posting, you experiment with coloring sounds absolutely fabulous as well, understated but elegant/subtle, which I love!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    You are gorgeous and absolutely rockin that hair style! Beautiful!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!