Water - brief question

what counts as water- does it include coffee and teas and soy drinks or Optifast liquid?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    It depends who you ask, but for hydration purposes, yes, it all counts.

For anything with calories, make sure to track it!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Water is anything liquid when it comes to hydration but calories are in anything that isn’t just water so track them
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I don't track water, but if I did, I would count any non-alcoholic liquid. And track the calories.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I track only water as water and anything else is done separately in the diary to track the calories. I have coffee at breakfast so that goes under breakfast. Currently I don't drink anything else but maybe the occasional alcoholic drink, which is put in the diary under whatever meal I have it with.
  • xaosai
    xaosai Posts: 3 Member
    Technically, most fruits and veggies have lots of water in them so they are hydrating. When I track water, I only include resources that are "aqueous", which means they look and behave like water and are made almost entirely of water. That's water, diet soda, coffee, juice, beer, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yeah, I don't track water either, but at 140 pounds in body weight, I'm drinking over 100 ounces of just water every day, so I'm not too worried about it.

24 ounces upon waking. 24 with breakfast, lunch, and dinner then the random other glasses of water and coffee and tea during the day.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    complex to track water in vegetables and if tea of coffee contains milk -however I was tracking just water so will add in water in other drinks Thanks to all who responded
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    First question is do you need to track water at all OP?

Unless you struggle to stay hydrated (from the entirity of your drinks and foods) then it's not at all necessary.
    Personally my thirst response works just fine.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Don't overthink it. I track water and beverages under "water". If I add sugar, honey or other calories I track them under my food intake. Juices and calorie laden drinks are all logged under foods, but I keep the liquids in them in mind when I log my water.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    I wasn’t drinking 60+ ozs of water daily until I started tracking and making sure I do now most days. I don’t count flavored carbonated water or coffee as my water intake since it also dehydrates. Counting Teas and water only. Helps me to make sure to get the water in. And if I exceed my sodium target of 1500mg I especially try to get more in. Good question OP!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    sarahtrust wrote: »
    complex to track water in vegetables and if tea of coffee contains milk -however I was tracking just water so will add in water in other drinks Thanks to all who responded

You'll find a lot of us track hydration from urine color because it can come from so many sources. I just make sure it's a pale yellow and that means I'm hydrated.