It's so hard to gain weight and muscle

Hello, I have pretty much been skinny all my life. Last year, I was at 118 lbs and currently at 133 lbs just by adding more calories and going to the gym. I'm so happy to see I am not the only one that struggles with this 🤪

Replies

• pmack11
    pmack11 Posts: 3 Member
    Oh and I'm 5'6
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Most people here have no problem gaining wt but gaining muscle is a different matter.

Sounds like you're doing the rt thing to gain weight. All you have to do is combine that w/a,lifting program to build strength and muscle.

For beginners, I recommend Matk Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program, which I prefer to Stronglifts that many people here also like. I've done both and think that SS is better but check them out and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    uhh well... since you are a beginner, almost any workout that increases volume will work. Check out body building.com the furious 5 is a quick beginning bulking workout. To quote a professional, "whatever phase, cutting, bulking, recomp, always train for hypertrophy." Now power lifting is not independent of muscle gain, but higher volume lifting SEEMS to be better for muscle gain. Best wishes! Actually posted a mid level beginner session I am doing now based on James Kriegers work.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    pmack11 wrote: »
    Oh here I am...at around 133 lbs

You look great!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Gaining wt is no problem 4me. Gaining muscle is another matter.