Path of self destruction

vasu2510
vasu2510 Posts: 1 Member
I m in a crisis right now .... Last I was down 18 kgs by running n eating healthy ... Was happy n content ... But from last 4 months I m eating non stop have gained 8 kgs n still can't stop . I have lost my way n my confidence ... How can I stop

Replies

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I have gained a lot of weight recently too. I realized I was steadily gaining but wasn't ready to do something about it until just recently. I'm not sure how it changed but it started with this: I had a really relaxing weekend and caught up on my sleep. Then I sat down and did a lot of pondering and journaling. From there I decided it was time to start logging my food and try to lose weight. I've been working on my mental health for months but getting to a really good place emotionally that weekend really helped me get motivated and start. It helped that when I wasn't ready I had grace for myself. Anyway, that was my experience, I'm not sure what you need but from my experience I would start with asking how you are managing stress or anxiety, etc. if you struggle with any of those things.
  • JustForJessie
    JustForJessie Posts: 5 Member
    I lost 56lbs last year through hard work and will power. This year I went through a lot in my personal life and I ate to get me through it and I have gained around 40lbs back. I wish I could give you an answer of how to stop, but I'd to know it to! I guess I think just lean on other people for support and use them to keep you accountable.
  • DonnaL1959
    DonnaL1959 Posts: 27 Member
    I just had a milestone birthday and am 50 pounds overweight. It's time to do something before ill health robs me of my ability to enjoy life. My start date is tomorrow - Sept. 3, 2019. Who is with me?
  • xDaynie
    xDaynie Posts: 35 Member
    Ive been going through a tough time, relationship issues now I have lost my grandma... And through the last few months because of it I have gained 10kgs... Im trying to push myself to stop, but its still getting the better of me :/
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    I hope that all of you are doing better now, months later. I've been on a stress eating binge for like 2 years now...today's the day I'm deciding to try to stop.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Hang in there! Well, first of all I would say give yourself some space to explore your eating and weight gain. In my experience, I overeat and gain weight or stop a program for a reason and if I allow myself to explore into the problem I sometimes gain insight that is invaluable for me in my journey. In the past, I might have just slammed on the brakes and said "I need to stop this right now," and I would look at myself with disgust and even hatred. Nowadays, I have much more compassion for myself. I look and say, "well, I'm not on track, I feel bad, I am not meeting my goals right now." Then I open up some space and I think "I wonder why this is happening? Am I honoring myself and what I need? What DO I need?" And I let my body know that I am listening. And however long it takes, I work through it.

It's not easy. But if you want to really stop self-sabotaging and getting mean to yourself, you need to offer up some compassion.

Compassion is really difficult and it takes a lot of practice and trial and error. But your body hears you, and with time, it adapts to kindness instead of hate. You begin to make goals. You begin to see things differently.

I wish this for you as I wish it for myself. I have a long way to go, too.
  • leelee_lani
    leelee_lani Posts: 25 Member
    I had a hard time this past year when my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and had half her lung removed. I gained back all the weight I had lost and then some. I got back on MFP about 6 weeks ago and so far so good. Starting with one small step helped me get back on the wagon (replacing my bowl of cereal in the morning with a protein shake) so I didn’t feel so overwhelmed. Once I implemented that I was motivated to do more and climbed my way out of the hole. It’s really difficult some days when I’m over tired or stressed and miss binging to make me feel better. I have a long way to go and constantly worry a life stress will send me in a downward spiral again of overeating and self hate. The struggle is real. Hugs to you, you’re not alone.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    @leelee_lani Thanks for sharing your story. I can understand why you gained back some weight, considering the challenges of your mom's surgery. I have found that my own weight fluctuates sometimes when I have tramatic, or difficult experiences. And in a lot of ways, that makes sense (as an emotional eater, it makes A LOT of sense).

I am glad that you were able to take small steps toward getting out of "the hole."

Being overtired is REAL and a difficult hump to overcome. Often, just taking time to sleep instead of work out will make a big difference, although it's hard to do.

In my experience, there is always something that is there to try to bring me down in life. There always has been, and I think there always will be. We just gain tools and learn how to use them better, and eventually I do believe that we will rise above.