No snacks? Seriously?

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I never thought I would say this but I’m missing the woo button already.

Me, too! I thought they were going to replace it with a 'disagree' button.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    While everyone's sharing "snacking anecdotes"...I grew up in the US in the 80s and 90s and for sure snacking was a big thing. I honestly didn't do much of it because after school my options were a banana, apple, or fruit snacks, and I much preferred to wait until dinner because that's when I was allowed better stuff (in my child/teen opinion). For dinner we went out to eat or ordered pizza delivery often, always had chips/dip on hand, snack cakes or ice cream for dessert if not actual cake or pie. But I knew that after school snacks weren't those things in my house. I was always a chubby kid (thanks to being sedentary & eating lots of restaurant meals, dessert, etc). It seemed like a lot of my friends snacked on pizza rolls, chips & cookies daily...OR they were completely forbidden from snacks and didn't have any "junk" in their homes at all, pretty much ever. I remember some "deprived" friends coming over when we were in 5th or 6th grades, and asking if they could drink our Hershey's syrup, eat peanut butter on a spoon, or make instant mashed potatoes. I found it so weird and worried they were starving.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    While everyone's sharing "snacking anecdotes"...I grew up in the US in the 80s and 90s and for sure snacking was a big thing. I honestly didn't do much of it because after school my options were a banana, apple, or fruit snacks, and I much preferred to wait until dinner because that's when I was allowed better stuff (in my child/teen opinion). For dinner we went out to eat or ordered pizza delivery often, always had chips/dip on hand, snack cakes or ice cream for dessert if not actual cake or pie. But I knew that after school snacks weren't those things in my house. I was always a chubby kid (thanks to being sedentary & eating lots of restaurant meals, dessert, etc). It seemed like a lot of my friends snacked on pizza rolls, chips & cookies daily...OR they were completely forbidden from snacks and didn't have any "junk" in their homes at all, pretty much ever. I remember some "deprived" friends coming over when we were in 5th or 6th grades, and asking if they could drink our Hershey's syrup, eat peanut butter on a spoon, or make instant mashed potatoes. I found it so weird and worried they were starving.

This was me. Raised by hippies. Everything we ate was like... macrobiotic compost lol, there was no "snack food." I think this may have to do with why I got too thick when I moved out on my own! I enjoyed my bacchanal of baking while it lasted. Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done amirite? ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    For me growing up, nothing was forbidden, but we didn't keep snacks in the house because, we just didn't. That's just how our family ate. I got a daily allowance and that limited the number of store snacks I was able to buy (usually no more than 1 or 2 single servings), but the fridge was free game and I loved fruits and vegetables so I ate as many of them as I liked whenever I liked. We really didn't have designated snack times or anything like that, just homecooked meals at mealtimes, and an open fridge for all other times.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »

They're working on it. I already miss having a negative reaction. The forum feels weird without it.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i'm definitely a grazer.

i have 1460 to 1800ish depending on exercise, and i live on snacks. i have 6 to 7 tiny meals each day that often involve chips, yogurt, double chocolate chunk quest bars, kroger fudge bars (they're like fudgcicles), ice cream, salads and a wide variety of tasty things, many of which are rich in protein or have clean carbs.

on the other hand, i got a blaze pizza cut into 8 slices and munched it for 2 days. it was great AND fit into my calorie goals.

i do sometimes have a meal - yesterday i had pasta and a salad at disneyland, and disneyland is a great place to burn off that pasta, too :)
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member

They're working on it. I already miss having a negative reaction. The forum feels weird without it.

I hate those dislike buttons (see what I did there?). If I don't like what someone posts, I just move on. I don't know the person, the writing skills, or the true intent. Maybe the post is the best they can do..I don't know.

It's nice just to post without being worried about how you feel about my one sentence written in the few seconds I spent composing it.

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited September 2019
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I just read a pop-article about a recent study that found that people today are 2-3% fatter than people eating and exercising the same amount in the 1970's. They're not sure why--looking into hormones and pesticide residues in food, changes in gut microbiome (due to use of antibiotics in people and especially in agriculture), artificial sweeteners as possible causes.

My personal intuition is that it could be corn.

Or maybe the answer is much simpler. Activity is more than just exercise. Things like having to get up to change the TV channel, no phone in your pocket, no roombas, more day to day gadgets were manual, no Uber at your doorstep, you need to go catch a bus or a taxi. Basically, people expended more energy doing day to day things like getting up and talking to a coworker instead of emailing.

Garage door openers
    Hand crank car windows
    Manual transmissions
    Not nmotorized lawn mowers
    Having to walk to school(uphill both ways).
    Groceries and goods are delivered to our front door.

So many more conveniences.

Uphill in snow up to your chest both ways.

I can't find the Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin and his dad are in snow that is above dad's knees and up to Calvin's chest, and dad is saying, "This is nothing, when I was your age I had to walk to school through snow up to my chest".
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I worked my tail off for 6 months - EVERY DAY - get back where I belong which is where I'm at and which is where I intend to stay for the rest of my life. Been there before for over 25 years until I dropped my guard, got lazy, started eating like I was on the football team, quick running, got lethargic and slowly but surely the weight creep happened. "No mas" as legendary boxer Roberto Duran once said. I don't want to do this again. Not that I can't but it's easier to keep where I'm at than to work my tail off to get to where I want to be.

There's isn't a snack on the face of the earth that's more delightful that my current fitness, health and wellness, and ideal body weight. I like the look in the mirror more than the visual of the most tantalizing snack. Food is fuel, I get my highs elsewhere and snacks aren't one of them.

No snacks for me, just big meals than satisfy me until the next big meal, all eaten during a restricted feeding period goal that's flexible to deal with the ebbs and flows of my life. I'm not deprived leading a monotonous, snack-free life.

Light, lean and strong. My pall bearers are going to love me because I'll be light in the casket.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I still snack! I am just trying to make better choices of what, how much & how often; and nothing late night because I am sleeping better.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

What you call the food you need is meaningless. MFP gives us as many as 6 ways to describe consumption events with any name we wish.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I keep a certain amount of calories for snacks on a daily basis. I don't always use the full calorie amount but I am happy to know that I have a bit of a reserve - just in case.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2019
    If I snack, I struggle. If I don't snack, I lose weight at a solid rate. Two good sized meals calorie-wise per day keeps me on track as far as total calories consumed better than two smaller ones + snacks and/or any other meal/snack number combination. That is reality for this human being.

As far as history, I grew up with cold cereal or hot school breakfast, packed lunch or hot school lunch, and usually a home cooked supper. You ate what you were served or you didn't eat anything else for that meal, especially not snacks. Fast food and dining out were both luxuries that happened maybe a couple times a month if it was a good month financially. Portions of all were mindful growing up in a lower middle class family and with three older brothers who were bottomless guts as teenagers. Snacks and candy were usually around/available in some amount but the choices of often left them untouched by me. I never had a recognizable "snacking problem" as far as inability to regulate regardless of the foodstuff in question until my mid-30s.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 671 Member
    I find that I snack out of boredom as much as hunger. If I'm really busy - somehow I don't miss snacking at all. It seems like snacking is an area of weakness for me, once I start.....all bets are off. For me, it's better to stick to 2-3 meals a day. (Somedays I skip breakfast)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I just read a pop-article about a recent study that found that people today are 2-3% fatter than people eating and exercising the same amount in the 1970's. They're not sure why--looking into hormones and pesticide residues in food, changes in gut microbiome (due to use of antibiotics in people and especially in agriculture), artificial sweeteners as possible causes.

My personal intuition is that it could be corn.

Or maybe the answer is much simpler. Activity is more than just exercise. Things like having to get up to change the TV channel, no phone in your pocket, no roombas, more day to day gadgets were manual, no Uber at your doorstep, you need to go catch a bus or a taxi. Basically, people expended more energy doing day to day things like getting up and talking to a coworker instead of emailing.

Yes, my NEAT sure was a lot higher in the 70s.
  • kshama2001
    I grew up in the US in the 60's and 70's. My folks didn't have a lot of money to spare. We had 3 meals a day. An afternoon snack might be an apple or toast. We ate all of our dinner because otherwise we would go without. Evening snack might be an apple but there really wasn't much else to snack on in the house. We did splurge occasionally and have chip and dip, and even soda, on a Friday night every month or so. And we did have popcorn, but that was reserved for Friday and Saturday nights. Any candy from the corner store came out of my babysitting money. I remember many a day coming home starving after school, with no snacks available, and just having to wait until dinner to eat.

I grew up then too and all I remember about after school snacks is apples and "If you're not hungry enough for an apple, you're not hungry."

After dinner snacking wasn't a thing in my house.
  • kshama2001

Just disagree in text. I'm curious to see if you're reacting to the same post I am.