Going on a long flight (Tips please)

Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey!
Everytime I travel my scale keeps going up for the whole week after arrival ... That really bothers me
Is that normal?
Im traveling again next week 9 hour plus another 5 hour flight ... I wish that doesnt happen again ... but as usual i think it will
Any tips to help with that ?
Thanks pals

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    This is normal. Flying will usually add several pounds of water weight It is not real weight gain. The best thing for you to do if this negatively affects you is to avoid the scale for a couple of weeks after you get back.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I fly regularly and always eat low carb 24hrs before as I find that helps with the retention. Even if you’re not over weight I suggest pressure socks as well and walking around at regular intervals
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I’m taking an 11 hour nonstop flight to Europe in a few weeks and these tips are helpful. Any more?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Pressure hose for your legs and ankle pumps, which is basically is an up-down, side-to-side, circles types of movements to help with the blood flow and to prevent blood clots. And getting up regularly and walking around.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Pressure hose for your legs and ankle pumps, which is basically is an up-down, side-to-side, circles types of movements to help with the blood flow and to prevent blood clots. And getting up regularly and walking around.

Even isometric exercise, bending/flexing, tightening/relaxing, helps blood flow a little. May not help the water retention . . . but that's just water, not fat. Really no need to stress about it, just return to normal once landed, and wait it out. :)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I've always found that going very low sodium for 2 days prior really helps. Like 1000-1500 mg.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »

Even isometric exercise, bending/flexing, tightening/relaxing, helps blood flow a little. May not help the water retention . . . but that's just water, not fat. Really no need to stress about it, just return to normal once landed, and wait it out. :)

Yes, exactly. Water weight is not a gain, it will even out in a few days (at least it takes that long for me). But i still weigh myself every day after, and just accept that's how body functions. Simply more data to learn from.
  • whmscll
    I’m going to Paris and would like to look as skinny as possible while there (this trip is the entire reason I was inspired to lose 18 pounds!). Minimizing bloat from water retention would be nice. I’ve got the compression socks, I think I may try lower carb and salt for the 2 days prior if I can. Although it might be an exerxise in futility if I eat the in-flight meals. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Also, don’t drink bubbly liquids unless you enjoy farting a lot. The altitude and pressure expands gases in your digestive system.
  • whmscll
    :o
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Good points and suggestions. I'll be sure to use them when I fly back in a few weeks.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Just a suggestion. Take your own food. A healthy Sandwich, healthier Snack, better than plane food. I do this for myself. I’ve flown a lot and it is a better option.

I believe it. Apparently we taste things very differently when we're up in the air so they load the food down with salt (and sugar and fat) to compensate.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150112-why-in-flight-food-tastes-weird

• Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    I always found being as active as possible after I land helps. If you can get a quick walk in, or exercise in the hotel workout room. A little sweat and a nice shower was always what I needed(usually after a 16 hr flight)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi All!

Just got back from Australia! Did a lot of plane rides this summer! Survived to tell the tale. :) I was a bit worried about 9.5 hours from Sydney to Hawaii - then another 9hours to NYC.

I’ve found the more water I drink - the better I feel. I always get the special dietary meal on a plane- and ask for low sodium so i don’t hold more water.

I noticed my wedding bands would get tighter on my hands after a flight - once I started the above - it helped quite a bit.
    So i guess- more water, less salt! YMMV

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Pressure socks for sure! I never fight leg swelling even through three overdue pregnancies with large babies. It was never an issue for me. A few short flights on either end plus the 14hr flight to New Zealand a few year ago had me looking stump legged. So, so swollen and uncomfortable! I walked, stretched, did mild aerobics, between flights and nothing helped. Once I got to destination I drank apple cider vinegar(seems to help me move fluid out), went for a few long walks before bed, and had a good hot soak with some stretching thrown in afterwards. Compression socks now travel every flight I go on!