Personal safety when hiking alone

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    49w5b3y7j5j3.jpg

Yeah, yeah I know.. no knives, no guns, no sprays, no taser... but its ok we are taught to wrestle crocs and subdue a water buffalo with a look from birth. True story :D

I legit know how to wrestle a croc 😂
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    49w5b3y7j5j3.jpg

Yeah, yeah I know.. no knives, no guns, no sprays, no taser... but its ok we are taught to wrestle crocs and subdue a water buffalo with a look from birth. True story :D

😁 I'm up near Cairns, we know how to handle our crocs 😂
  • Hannahwalksfar
    49w5b3y7j5j3.jpg

😁 I'm up near Cairns, we know how to handle our crocs 😂

Haha. I used to work near the gulf and then as a reptile handler. Got the crocs covered. Just the people have me confused 😆
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    49w5b3y7j5j3.jpg

OK, now we're talking! Wrestle a croc, hog-tie it, schlep it along on your hike with some small pieces of raw meat, and if somebody looks like they want to assault you, toss the meat in line toward them and let the croc loose. :)

Of course, I suppose if they're from Australia, they'll know how to wrestle the croc, too. Hmmm. .... Back to the drawing board.

Just trying to lighten the mood. I haven't got any new ideas. I think the best recommendations I've seen is borrowing a dog if yours won't make the trip, do whatever you can to look confident and not like an easy target, stick to areas with mobile service if you can, and ask local police for any advice they have.
  • slimgirljo15
    Sadly crocs are illegal in this state 😂

:laugh: you couldn't even have a snake...also illegal without the necessary licences :D
  • Hannahwalksfar
    edited September 2019
    They (license) only cost $40 but then you have to record everything and can’t sell it for six months after purchase even if it is a snappy jerk lol
  • slimgirljo15
    edited September 2019
    They (license) only cost $40 but then you have to record everything and can’t sell it for six months after purchase even if it is a snappy jerk lol

My son and daughter both have licences..
    I often visit and find a python sunning on the clothes line.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    As a single woman who hikes alone I have found my best defense is awareness and observation. When I am hiking, I do not listen to music or anything else because I need to hear my surroundings. I make a note of vehicles parked at the trailhead. I make sure someone knows where I went and when I expect to be back. I carry no weapon.

OP, do what is comfortable to you, but I like the idea mentioned upthread about talking to your local park rangers (or whatever the Aussie equivalent is) or law enforcement to get advice for ways to stay safe and also to get an honest assessment of potential risks. Sometimes I think the risk is blown out of proportion and a little perspective helps.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    A bit of Crocodile Dundee is in order here!
    Have I said how much I love Australia?

5t8bjn97ajx6.jpg
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    OK, now we're talking! Wrestle a croc, hog-tie it, schlep it along on your hike with some small pieces of raw meat, and if somebody looks like they want to assault you, toss the meat in line toward them and let the croc loose. :)

What a great way to burn extra calories! ;)
    Sadly crocs are illegal in this state 😂

They should be, they're a fashion abomination. ;)

Humor aside, let's please leave the gun debate out of this thread, and stop proposing weapons that are illegal where OP is.

Humor partially back on:

If you always hike where there's cell signal, when you feel nervous you could pull out your phone and pretend to or actually go live on FB and start talking loudly. "Hey, It's Hannah and we're live on FB from the Croc Wrangling Trail near Cairns. So far we've seen 2 kangaroos, a koala, a snake, and this creepy guy in the red hat (show him on camera) but no crocs! Stay tuned, we'll find a croc to wrangle soon and later I'll show you how to make boots and a purse after the barbie!"

** Apologies to all the Aussies for putting most stereotypes into one post. :blush:

I love it!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Yeah, predators think like predators and it’s hard for us to think like that when we’re wired differently. Good on you for thinking twice.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    edited September 2019
    Love this! I need it!
    mvkz0nubnet9.png
    [/quote]

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A bit of Crocodile Dundee is in order here!
    Have I said how much I love Australia?

5t8bjn97ajx6.jpg

I can't believe it took 9 pages before someone went there. :D
  • I have an english mastiff and a gun. If you get past one you're not getting past the other.