Do you need a multi vitamin?

Usually you hear it’s to fill in a gap since our soil is depleted. But what about cereals and bars breads and drinks that already have added vitamins? The story is we don’t eat enough fresh veggies and so on and so forth but of our processed food has the added vitamins in them then wouldn’t taking an extra pill be too much?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Cyclist84 wrote: »
    Usually you hear it’s to fill in a gap since our soil is depleted. But what about cereals and bars breads and drinks that already have added vitamins? The story is we don’t eat enough fresh veggies and so on and so forth but of our processed food has the added vitamins in them then wouldn’t taking an extra pill be too much?

While they're not really necessary for people eating a healthy, balanced diet, mainstream commercial multivitamins are unlikely to be injurious in recommended doses. They rarely contain large amounts of the fat-soluble vitamins, and the others are quickly eliminated (usually in urine) if consumed in excess of need. Only a very few have a a narrow tolerable dosage.

It's not mostly worth worrying about one way or the other, IMO.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    I take a complete multivitamin. I think it's personal preference. I don't eat nearly enough we'll balanced meals so it does benefit me. You also absorb vitamins differently based on how you eat. Iron for example shouldn't be taken with milk, dairy or calcium supplements as it inhibits absorption.

Until recently I was anemic and vitamin d deficient. Now taking it every morning is just part of my routine. I also take fish oil supplements.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I've been taking a daily multivitamin since I started my diet. It just seems wise to take one while on a calorie deficit. Mine has 1,000 mg of D, which my dr recommended, so there's one thing it's doing that's definitely useful. Who knows if you're getting all the C, calcium, magnesium, etc., you're supposed to be getting, while eating 1,000 cals under maintenance? Can't hurt. Easy enough to just pop the pill every morning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Multi vitamins have been extensively studied and there is no evidence they improve overall health outcomes like getting vitamins naturally from your food does. As far as "vitamin fortified food", I am not sure that has been studied enough as to whether or not they provide any benefit.

I think if you are trying to focus on health, I would skip the multivitamin, only used fortified foods as a last resort, and try as much as you can to get them from foods where they occur naturally.

In the U.S. you would have to pretty much skip any commercial baked goods, breakfast cereals, standard milk, and I don't know what else to avoid "vitamin fortified food."
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Multi vitamins have been extensively studied and there is no evidence they improve overall health outcomes like getting vitamins naturally from your food does. As far as "vitamin fortified food", I am not sure that has been studied enough as to whether or not they provide any benefit.

I think if you are trying to focus on health, I would skip the multivitamin, only used fortified foods as a last resort, and try as much as you can to get them from foods where they occur naturally.

In the U.S. you would have to pretty much skip any commercial baked goods, breakfast cereals, standard milk, and I don't know what else to avoid "vitamin fortified food."

I am not saying you need to avoid them. What I mean is that I wouldn't necessarily rely on them as a source of vitamin and minerals, vs getting them from foods where they are naturally occurring.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

I am not saying you need to avoid them. What I mean is that I wouldn't necessarily rely on them as a source of vitamin and minerals, vs getting them from foods where they are naturally occurring.

Ah, OK then. Carry on. :)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    If you’re light on something, like anemic and need more iron, they help. Like others have said, studies show taking them for no real reason don’t help. You just get brighter urine.
  • Cyclist84
    Cyclist84 Posts: 11 Member
    At GNC the guy working there says if you without sometimes you lose vitamins so you should replenish with a multi vitamin.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I take a multivitamin at the direction of my GP.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    For me having the right product has been the greater part of my life saving regime, I'm not house bound and reacting to laundry residue on others and stuff, as much. If someone has a condition which compromises their ability to absorb all nutrition from their diet they really do help. It is possible for vegetarians and women to be high in copper which can cause issues, its not everyone's issue but some of us can be too high in copper so products containing copper can add to issues rather than simply support nutritional availability.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2019

I agree with this and with trying to rely on food vs multis.

I don't take a multi because I eat a reasonably balanced diet with lots of veg and some fruit and don't see the point. I do take D3 in the winter, and when I am eating 100% plant-based, which I do from time to time, I supplement DHA/EPA and B12 (although since I never do it for long the B12 is not necessary, probably).

I would avoid multis with iron unless diagnosed low iron, as it is possible to overdose iron (although for most likely not from a multi). I'm sensitive about it since my mom had a condition called hemochromatosis that leads to iron build up and ended up with serious liver damage before it was caught.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cyclist84 wrote: »
    Is it true our souls are depleted?

Modernity is so sad. ;-)

I assume you mean soils, but I love the typo.

Lol-same. I was like, "Yeah man, the Guf is empty, look around." :p

...but yes, it is true that our soils are depleted.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Last I heard, there are very few vitamins that most people need to supplement. Even then, it makes more sense to actually have your doctor order a blood test before taking vitamins that you don't need or not taking enough of a specific vitamin.

If I wanted I could take OTC vit D3 daily. That said, I'm more than willing to bet that taking it as recommended on the package wouldn't be enough to pull me out of my likely severe deficit. It would be smarter to have my GP order a blood test and then prescribe the appropriate amount.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    All I take is fish oil and Vitamin D (Fall thru Winter). I get enough of everything else with food.
  • Really it depends on you’re personal goals. If you are trying to build muscle it is very likely you are not getting the proper amount of each nutrient through diet alone.