WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited September 2019
    <3Barbie.

Back from my 5k run. Cool breeze and choppy waves - just the way I like it.

I have now got all my photos, documents, music and videos on my old laptop copied onto the new hard drive. Amazing that such a tiny box can hold so much. 9,750 photos! Masses of music -13 gb.
    Now all I have to do is see if I can transfer the photos, videos and documents to my new laptop in the format I am used to. I'm not sure about the music. It's stuff I copied off my cds years ago. It could just stay on the hard drive. I play most stuff I want on my phone via a Bluetooth speaker. I still have a lot of cds. There are one or two obscure cds I might put on my phone if I can work out a way to do it. Can’t find the same ones on Amazon. Irish Bodhran anyone? Or a particular Klesmer track I would like played at my funeral? :D I lost them off my phone when my phone card got corrupted a couple of years ago. I used to listen to them often on the train and decided they would be perfect for my funeral, along with, "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."
    I'm getting there, very slowly.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Good morning. Quickly browsing the posts here and notice that a lot of you use this to write out your goals. Since I'm retired, my schedule is definitely much more fluid, so goals are hard to pin down. However, I do have some things I want to accomplish:

Quilting

Finish flag quit - just need to do the actual quilting now and bind it, should only take 4-5 hours
    Finish king quilt - needs borders, quilting, and binding. This will take roughly 8-10 hours
    Make table runner and placemats - should only take 2-3 days at most.
    Begin brown and blue quilt for bff. Due date on that one is October 21 so I can bring it with us when we visit at the end of October. I have brown fabric, but need to find blue that complements it and decide on a pattern.

Those will take me through September. I really only work on quilts for 4-5 hours a day, in the afternoons after I go to the gym, don't work on them on Saturdays, but usually have a couple of hours on Sunday that I work on them.

Fitness/Health

Training session M/W/F. I need to rethink Friday's session and stop doing as much cardio on that day at least because it is apparently hampering my ability to ride distances on Saturday. Also need to rethink carb intake on Fridays as well.

Cardio only on Tuesday/Thursday

Saturday - increase mileage on bike ride by 2-3 miles every week. We only ride one day a week, but I may change the cardio on Tuesday/Thursday to stationary bike riding with my clipless pedals so I can get used to them.

Waiting on a call from the cardiologist to schedule the third vein ablation. Insurance is dragging their feet on this one for some reason - dh said it's because they've paid out a lot for me this year! Between a kidney stone and infection, two ablations, foot surgery, MRI, ultrasounds, it's been an expensive year and one where I'm grateful for good insurance!

Diet (for lack of a better word - I'm not dieting, my lifestyle is changing!)

Keep macros in check. Be more creative with breakfast and dinner. Lunch is and will probably stay a salad with protein but I need to change up breakfast and lunch as those can get into a rut. Check out more skinnytaste.com recipes for inspiration.

Personal growth

Quiet time first thing in the morning, before looking at Facebook ;)
    Get back to journaling on a regular basis; I've neglected this lately.
    Finish reading the book I'm currently on, and begin the one for Bible Study that begins on the 16th.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2019
    Barbie: Thank you for the new thread! :heart:

LyndaBSS: Welcome to a great group. Post often so we can all get to know one another. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Thank you so much for the Make Things Easier for Yourself list. It is very timely for us. :heart:

Lisa in AR: Your house looks loved and happy now. It has been transformed. You two have made it shine. :bigsmile:

Anne: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Twister is one of my all-time favorites! I haven’t got a copy of it that I can play, though. You are lucky. :star:

My September Resolutions will look familiar. They work for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Happy Sept 1st!! <3

Like many of you, this seems more like the beginning of a "new year" for me as well, and it always has. Just like I get the Christmas spirit in the spring, lol.

Lisa
    - Isn't it great to have "before" and "after" pictures! Your place looks just great and will be a happy and comfortable home for you and DH for years to come. Way to go on faithfully hitting the gym :) It's paying off!

Karen in VA - this week is restaining/sealing the deck for us as well. I'll be able to get the handrails and vertical supports, DH will hit the deck proper.

My "program guidelines" for last month kind of got thrown to the wind but overall I've stayed the same weight-wise. Gained an inch in my belly (feels like a lot more!) due to post-op swelling and loading up on "soft foods" - high carb.

So guidelines for September are:
    • IF 12:12, Net carbs max - 60 gm, Fiber over 25 gm, Total sugar under 40 gm. Added sugars under 10 gm.
    • Macros: 20% Carb, 60% Fat, 20% Protein Calories 1500-1600.

I really do need to get serious about getting belly fat down - losing 5 lbs at least to get BMI down around 23.5 from current 24.1. Anxious for follow-up with surgeon on Sept 12th to see when I can start back in with more activity - strength training, etc.

Have a good week - those of you getting clipped by the hurricane, stay safe!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Marking my spot. Goals later.

RV Rita
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Therese ~ Welcome to a great thread. I am a retired Cherokee County teacher who lives in Cobb County.

Allie ~ So glad your family reunion was a big success. Homemade peach ice cream...Yum, Yum. We always had it growing up (Georgia Peaches) but haven't had any in many years. How was your class reunion?

Lisa ~ What a great job y'all have done on the house and know it was a lot of hard work.

We celebrated our 8 yr old granddaughter's birthday last night at a Japanese restaurant. She loved watching the flames on the hibachi grill and having the crew beat the drums and sing.

Carol in GA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Barbie - thank you for a new month. I’ve really noticed the days shortening in the last couple of weeks. I’m turning the lamp on in the evening by about 830 now.

Heather - I can feel the relief that your family is home. It sure worries a person when your loved ones are all travelling at once. I understand completely.

Kelly - I think a day of rest is just what the doctor ordered. Do you lose any children for full days now that school is starting again?

Lisa - what a transformation in your backyard. You and Cory have worked hard.

Allie - I’m so happy to read that you had a wonderful couple of days, you deserved it.

I went to the doctor on Friday about my “hip” injury. Yeah have been saying hip as I feel it more there but turns out it’s my “sitting bone” the doctor thinks I’ve torn the small fibres that make up the muscle and tendon that attaches to the bone or I’ve broken the bursa sack. She doesn’t recommend physio and told me I need to have patience as this will be a long time healing as it’s not something I can really rest. She gave me a strong prescription anti-inflammatory for two weeks to see if it helps. Her and I were having such a laugh over how I got injured that I forgot to mention my wrist issue. I have found though that my wrist is less painful when I’m not doing a lot of typing on my phone. I have been reading daily but not commenting a lot for this reason.

September finds me exactly where I was at the beginning of August, weight and measurement wise. I think I have my eating more on track though so that’s a good thing.

Today I am digging out our leftover stock from last years sales of Christmas ornaments and doing some counting. We have decided to do a few craft shows this year just not every weekend as we have the last two years. I am thinking 2 in October, 2 in November and 2 in December.

Well I am off to finish my coffee and then start some laundry. We had another dryer delivered last week, this will be the 5th one to try in this place. I’m praying that it works this time.

Tracey In Edmonton
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Karen In Va-whereabouts In va do you live?If you don’t mind my asking.Looking at the weather,we may get some of Dorian.We have been through several storms and Never get nuts like most.We started a joke a couple years ago about people having French toast parties because milk,bread and eggs would be the most purchased items during storm prep.We always have water and food enough to make a few days and have grills and smoker/grill to cook.There was an ice storm years back,we were without power for a month.My upbringing was very similar so I was fine.Hubby on the other hand was not happy.Our Christmas supper was fixed in and on our wood stove and gas grill.We used the ice ,provided by Mother Nature to keep any perishables,plus I had filled the tubs with water.Had several outages since then,but we have a generator that we maintain for whatever comes.We just don’t use it for a couple days into an outage.
    Debby In Va
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Lynda-sorry for your loss.
    Debby In Va
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I lost my husband last year to ALS. I had stopped working a few years prior when it was apparent that he needed 24 hour care. I had no training in caregiving but rather learned "on the job".

After Michael died, I plumetted into severe anxiety and depression. He was the love of my life, my soul mate, my person. My emotional overeating skyrocketed and the weight piled on. I got to 218.6.

I somehow lost 10 pounds by June of this year, when I joined mfp. I've lost another 20 since June. Within the last month, I've had normal range bloodwork results and great visits with both my endocrinologist and GP.

Last week, I gained 6 pounds due to medication changes. I ate over calories due to stressing about it. Yesterday, I refocused and got my head straight. September is a new month and a new chance.

Today, I will focus on mindful eating. I will stay in a calorie deficit. I am worth it. 💙

I am so sorry for your loss
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2019
    Barbie - thanks for a new month. I'm glad you keep time moving forward. :grimace: If I had to do it myself we might still be stuck in the mid-1980s :lol:

Lynda - my heartfelt sympathies. ALS is a horrific disease.

Yesterday it rained a lot but today the weather was glorious so I went up the mountainside behind the house in search of chantarelles. Instead of taking the path, I went straight up the side of the mountain. Yikes! Now I know why the path is where it is! I was soaked in sweat before I had reached a place where there was anything but rocks and ferns and precipitous drop-offs. Once I had reached terrain where I didn't risk broken legs at every step, I walked back and forth along the side of the mountain, eyes on the ground and tending downhill. I saw zillions of fallen birch leaves that looked like chantarelles, and not a single chantarelle that looked like a fallen birch leaf. So it goes.

I had no goals for August except to get through it. Yeah, it was that kind of month. :/

My (modest) goals for September are

Write 40 minutes every day (exceptions granted for busy days if I apply for permission in advance) ;)
    Keep up my running
    Stay up-to-date with the online course I'm teaching from now through mid-October.
    /Penny, persevering at the t07190.gif

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Lynda-sorry for your loss.
    Debby In Va

Thank you Debbie. 💟
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Lynda - I can't imagine. <3 You are a heroine getting yourself together. Slip backs are totally understandable. Thinking of you. :flowerforyou:

Tracey - I just hate the idea of them all up in that tin box in the sky together. :o Thanks for the understanding. <3

Looks like another Wallander tonight. My Swedish is improving no end!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    <3Barbie.

Back from my 5k run. Cool breeze and choppy waves - just the way I like it.

I have now got all my photos, documents, music and videos on my old laptop copied onto the new hard drive. Amazing that such a tiny box can hold so much. 9,750 photos! Masses of music -13 gb.
    Now all I have to do is see if I can transfer the photos, videos and documents to my new laptop in the format I am used to. I'm not sure about the music. It's stuff I copied off my cds years ago. It could just stay on the hard drive. I play most stuff I want on my phone via a Bluetooth speaker. I still have a lot of cds. There are one or two obscure cds I might put on my phone if I can work out a way to do it. Can’t find the same ones on Amazon. Irish Bodhran anyone? Or a particular Klesmer track I would like played at my funeral? :D I lost them off my phone when my phone card got corrupted a couple of years ago. I used to listen to them often on the train and decided they would be perfect for my funeral, along with, "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."
    I'm getting there, very slowly.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather It amazes me in this day & age of technological sophistication that it's difficult to find certain music! There was a limited edition CD of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf conducted by Leopold Stokowski & narrated by Basil Rathbone. I bought 3 copies and gave them away as gifts to people that I know would find them a dear reminder of a rather elaborate marionette performance my mother and a family friend put on for the community with handmade marionettes and involvement of teens interested in performing arts. I think it was about 1959. People sometimes still remark about it when I am visiting, if you can believe that. (I come from a small town in Nebraska, much smaller than Vicki's Grand Island.) I remember the preparations, not the performances, but my younger brother was still at home as a preschooler and was very involved in the whole thing. I gave him one copy of the CD, which he has lost due to his chaotic mentally ill life. He cherished it, so it's sad. For a long time there was not a way to find that recording that was very apparent. I just now looked, and I can now download it from a public domain site for free! I'm thrilled. I also found an old vinyl copy on Amazon and ordered that for $10. If it's in good shape, I will ask my son if we can listen to it on his turntable. He has my dad's entire vinyl jazz collection, so has a turntable.

Lynda Welcome! I'm sorry about your husband. My grandfather died of ALS in 1970. It was devastating to all of us, but particularly to my grandmother and to my youngest brother who helped for as long as he could with Grandad's ADLs and nighttime turning, etc. My poor brother was only a freshman in high school. It was really hard on him. My grandfather's grace prompted me to write an English paper about courage. It was the first paper I wrote that I put my heart and soul into. My grandfather was a Nebraska farmer, sweet and strong and steadfast. He loved kitties, all the wild kittens would come running when he called, but none of the rest of us could get near them. He wasn't even the one who fed them! He had an old Model T Ford pickup in a quonset. He was my dad's dad.

Carol If Dorian makes landfall in Georgia, are you far enough inland that it won't be worrisome?

Lanette Our rails are fine, fortunately. It's just the deck proper that needs resealing. Apparently when we did it a year ago it needed more sealant. It's a thirsty deck! We are hoping this time it will last 2 or 3 years, we are slathering it on, LOL! We did most of the deck this morning. Tomorrow we will move the furniture and do those areas. The part we finished this morning looks wonderful.

Theresa Welcome!

Arizona Teri Love your goals.

Penny :)

Barbara Yay! I missed you.

Debby VA Richmond

Karen in Virginia

• Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    I forgot to write that I'm from West Virginia. Transplanted from Rochester, New York.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Karen VA ~ I'm north of Atlanta so no worries about Dorian. Thanks for asking.