How often to weigh in maintenance

I have always weighed once a week. I did try to weigh every day and look at the trend, but the fluctuations really messed with my mind. I on,y did it for about a week. However, I was considering “forcing myself” to weigh every day for the month of September just to see if that would take away the effect that number has on me. What are thought and options on weighing every day? Does the panic of seeing the scale go up (from normal fluctuations) ever go away?

Replies

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    I guess I shouldn’t have said “panic”, but I do feel my reaction to the scale going up - even when I know it’s just a normal fluctuation - isn’t reasonable. It’s more of a worry that I’m eating too much than a “panic”. I would like to see the scale just as data, but I feel that number holds too much meaning for me, and I thought maybe weighing daily would lesson the importance of the number.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    I am sort of the same way. So I just don't weigh every day. I do log and keep track of cals. I will weigh maybe once a week or at a min once a month to make sure I am not kidding myself but as long as I stay in range I don't feel the need to weigh every day. It's one of the perks of maintenance for me that I don't have to have my day influenced by some random #. I started that this year and so far it seems to be working for me. I don't really need the daily data and it's once less thing to clutter my mind with.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Every day for me, but I am a data junkie.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Some times everyday (out of routine because the scale is right there looking at me), others few times a week, and never on vacation. Maintaining for 9 years so I have a pretty good idea of what and how much to eat, and how my body responds to changes. At my age water fluctuations are minimal, except when traveling.

I don't take measurements too often either, maybe once or twice a year at the most. I trust my feelings, and my clothing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    I guess I shouldn’t have said “panic”, but I do feel my reaction to the scale going up - even when I know it’s just a normal fluctuation - isn’t reasonable. It’s more of a worry that I’m eating too much than a “panic”. I would like to see the scale just as data, but I feel that number holds too much meaning for me, and I thought maybe weighing daily would lesson the importance of the number.

Well - the easiest ways to know if you're eating too much is to either keep a food log or to weigh yourself. I find doing both is the best because then I KNOW if I've eaten too much, and I know it before it causes a change in my weight.

I like to weigh every day. I don't do it, but I like it the best. I do log my food, though. I've been logging food long enough to be able to fairly accurately guess my weight on any given day, so there is that. :flowerforyou:
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    amckholmes wrote: »
    I weigh every day now that I have reached maintenance, and I use Happy Scale. I do find that seeing the trend line helps me feel confident and I am reaching the point where I am more comfortable with days that my weight is up a bit, because I can see my history and know that’s just what my body does. Maintenance seems to be all about figuring out what works for you, not just in regard to your weight, but also your mental wellness. :)[/quote]

You nail it!!!
  • PrincessMelodyj
    PrincessMelodyj Posts: 14 Member
    I still weigh once a week, same as when I was losing. I think if I weighed every day I would drive myself crazy about it lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited September 2019
    Jubee13 wrote: »

Do the math. If the scale jumps up a couple pounds overnight, the math will tell you that it's not fat. I'm pretty sure you'll know it if you eat 3500 calories over maintenance.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited September 2019
    Normally once a day when I get up and use the bathroon but, since I started IF, I've been weighing myself at various times b4 I start eating again; ususlly after my daily 5k row and just b4 I start eating again.

Started doing that out of curiosity but started to do it regularly because I have found that I can lose an additional 1-2# between the time I get up (usually around 7) and when I start eating again (usually around 1). And, I chg my wt to the lowest # b4 I go off the fast, which I think is the most accurate way to gauge the effect of IF on my wt.