Small fitness victory

I had my first fitness victory today ran my typical 2 miles but instead of a 13/14 min pace It was a 11.5 min pace 😁 not my goal but going in the right direction!
Been running for about 3 weeks now but more regularly (every other day) for the last two weeks.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Well done, you should be very happy. 👍
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Why is that small? That's great. You should be proud of yourself.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Well done, you should be very happy. 👍

Thanks I am 😊
  • Cat_A_89
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I have a long way to go fitness wise but atleast I know im going in the right direction! My goal right now is a 10 min mile before I increase my distance. 😁
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Cat_A_89 wrote: »

I have a long way to go fitness wise but atleast I know im going in the right direction! My goal right now is a 10 min mile before I increase my distance. 😁

What is your plan to get there? There are proven ways to make gains and there are many ways to sabotage yourself and eventually end up injured. While I applaud your progress I have to ask this since I don't want to see you fail in the long run.
  • Cat_A_89
    dewd2 wrote: »

What is your plan to get there? There are proven ways to make gains and there are many ways to sabotage yourself and eventually end up injured. While I applaud your progress I have to ask this since I don't want to see you fail in the long run.

I run 2 miles every other day at a comfortable speed, take water breaks and walk a minute or two inbetween if needed. I dont plan to increase my distance until my pace improves. Plan to then increase by a half mile each time I feel comfortable with the current distance. I can do 2 miles fairly easily but still need breaks every half mile or so. Some days are easier then others but I dont feel like im overdoing it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

I run 2 miles every other day at a comfortable speed, take water breaks and walk a minute or two inbetween if needed. I dont plan to increase my distance until my pace improves. Plan to then increase by a half mile each time I feel comfortable with the current distance. I can do 2 miles fairly easily but still need breaks every half mile or so. Some days are easier then others but I dont feel like im overdoing it.

Distance is how you increase your pace. Run longer to get faster. Purposely trying to run faster as a beginner is a recipe for injury. You may feel great right up until the moment you don't.

There are many plans available for free that will help you not only get faster but help keep you injury free. Check out https://www.halhigdon.com/ for some great advice and plans to get you there.

Good luck.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    ^^^^^ 100% This. I second following a plan so that you don't add mileage too fast, also resulting in potential injury. Having "been there and done that" I can attest to the fact that by adding mileage you will automatically increase speed and that by following a plan you lessen the chance of injury. Being able to run far out weighs being sidelined for months due to injury and them having to start all over pretty much from scratch. Enjoy!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,417 Member
    Wow. Thanks! I didn’t know this. Very interesting convo!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Congratulations on how far you’ve come!

I also agree that adding distance is the way to improve speed. It’s counterintuitive but it works. When you add distance, the shorter distances become easier for you and you will naturally increase speed. Another way to ease into a faster pace is to add a fast finish or stride to the end of your run - relax, run easy, just gradually lengthen your stride and feel what it’s like to run fast for about the last hundred meters or so. It helps you learn better form.