Over 60 still trying

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    DickAich wrote: »
    I have been wrestling with some approaches to maintenance and would be interested if anyone is running into the same. Having reached my weight, I would like to maintain while cutting into the body fat %. My gym has an InBody 570 which I have been using for weight and other readings. Trainers tell you to lift more weight to gain more muscle. I want to lose fat weight and that does require that I add muscle. The problem is I have been injuring myself (elbow and knee) by lifting heavy. The worst part is that I don't recover from injury as quickly.

I am thinking about lifting lighter but more reps. It seems it would save the joints but still work the muscles, it just wouldn't stimulate big muscle growth. Any thoughts?

There's a great thread about recomposition that lives over in the Maintenance part of the forum. It may answer your question. If not, a lot of people who are knowledgeable about it follow the thread, so it would be a good place to ask this kind of specialized question. My personal best guess would be that it could work, but on a somewhat slower timeline than an optimal mass-focused lifting routine, but that's only an unknowledgeable guess. ;)

Here's a direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

P.S. You won't be the only over-60 participant in that thread. :)
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MRI news was ‘ok’, nothing serious going on, just some issues I was aware of and MD said most likely the additional walking caused a strain (and the pain). If it flares up again, MD is going to delve into checking hip joint. Took a break from the weight lifting, but going to slowly start again next week with focus on areas other than back/hip. And starting swimnastic class next week too as I love being in the water anyway. Happy Friday, wishing you all a great weekend.

Would your doctor give you a physical therapy referral? Those physical therapy folks can be really magical about identifying things like imbalances in opposing muscle's strength, daily movement patterns, or tight areas that are aggravating pain, and assign exercise that lead to improvement. They may also be willing to advise on which weight-training exercises might be contraindicated, and on how to perform others in ways that will minimize risks.

Can you tell I love physical therapy? I been for several issues, all of which improved; and the results for a couple were really profound.

I have had two experiences with PT. One was not so great, the other out of this world. The difference will be apparent in a moment. My first turn came in 2017. I was having serious gait and mobility issues that was then growing progressively worse. I was encouraged to go to PT for it and got a referral. Everything was well orchestrated and I never missed a session over the course of treatment. But, honestly (looking back) the results and improvement were negligible unfortunately, and I couldn't do more because insurance limits were reached. So, I moved on trying to live with impaired mobility (my denial and refusal to seek other treatment is another much longer story). Time passes until late 2018, when I FINALLY decided enough's enough and saw a surgeon who informed me that the condition of my hips was atrocious (not his words) and scheduled me for the first of two replacements surgeries in January. I had the second in April. This 2nd and 3rd go round with PT was PURE GOLD! So much so that I continue to do the exercises well after leaving my last session. The key is getting what is fixable fixed, FIRST!!! I just wish I learned that much, MUCH sooner.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi - I'm 60 - but only for another week!
    I'd like to join your gang.

I have always been someone who struggles with being FAT. I am actually pretty good at weight loss, I have regularly lost significant amounts over the decades. BUT once I stop being 110% focussed I tend to creep up again pretty fast, mainly because I love good food / eating well (I am not a junk-food junky) and also I eat in repsonse to emotional stress.

Regaining weight is even more easy to do as out metabolism slows, etc. so here I am (again) probably about 30lbs heavier than I want to be. I have good muscle mass though, I am very fit and exercise a lot so "weight" as a number is not a big issue - more I don't want to grow out of my nice clothes! This is really the main thing for me atm. This and continuing to improve in Time-trials on my bike.
  • suzesvelte
    This is me doing a 2-up time trial last year. I'm the second rider. We are doing it again today. God help me, I'm a stone heavier this year!

gjb3bfyfyebf.jpg
  • suzesvelte
    Thinking this thread is coming to an end, but that’s ok; as it has helped me and others on this journey. Maybe there is another thread for those of us ‘over 60’????? Think I’ll start looking.

Just keep this thread active by posting regularly. I will try to keep it going as well.

Some other links for that tend towards the "seasoned citizens" demographic.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/433277/40-club-where-the-cool-kids-are/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716128/men-women-in-their-50s-starting-anew-in-2019/p1

Thanks for these lins, though it doesn't seem as though this particualr thread is quite ended yet - it's good to winkle out the other older-folk threads.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    DickAich wrote: »
    I have been wrestling with some approaches to maintenance and would be interested if anyone is running into the same. Having reached my weight, I would like to maintain while cutting into the body fat %. My gym has an InBody 570 which I have been using for weight and other readings. Trainers tell you to lift more weight to gain more muscle. I want to lose fat weight and that does require that I add muscle. The problem is I have been injuring myself (elbow and knee) by lifting heavy. The worst part is that I don't recover from injury as quickly.

I am thinking about lifting lighter but more reps. It seems it would save the joints but still work the muscles, it just wouldn't stimulate big muscle growth. Any thoughts?

A link to an article by Jonathon Sullivan. This might have some useful information for you.
    https://startingstrength.com/article/volume-and-the-masters-lifter
  • alteredsteve175
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    Hi - I'm 60 - but only for another week!
    I'd like to join your gang.

Welcome, suze! Join us! The more the merrier! :D

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    I am curious about something. I am now 60, and asking myself what changes in my mobility, strength, etc. have I noticed since I was ages 40 or 50? I carry good muscle but am not very fit, and need to lose another 50 pounds or so. While I do have more backaches, arthritis in my hands, and some difficulty squatting down (I hyperextended both knees 5 years ago), I just don't see a lot of other physical changes except less flexibility due to my lack of activity.
    Is this typical of aging? What should we expect as we age? I feel fortunate that I have had few injuries in my life, and believe that my body still seems capable of doing more and becoming more fit as I age. I have been doing cardio and stretching, and plan to add some moderate weight training in the coming months (one thing at a time).
    What is your experience with aging and physical changes?
  • alteredsteve175
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    I am curious about something. I am now 60, and asking myself what changes in my mobility, strength, etc. have I noticed since I was ages 40 or 50? I carry good muscle but am not very fit, and need to lose another 50 pounds or so. While I do have more backaches, arthritis in my hands, and some difficulty squatting down (I hyperextended both knees 5 years ago), I just don't see a lot of other physical changes except less flexibility due to my lack of activity.
    Is this typical of aging? What should we expect as we age? I feel fortunate that I have had few injuries in my life, and believe that my body still seems capable of doing more and becoming more fit as I age. I have been doing cardio and stretching, and plan to add some moderate weight training in the coming months (one thing at a time).

I have never been very flexible and that is getting worse as I age. I lift weights, but the first 20 or 30 minutes are spent doing a warmup and stretching. I have also done yoga in the past, and that helps with general flexibility. I have always been a fitness walker and hiker and that continues. I can't always keep up with my younger companions, but they have not had to carry me off the mountain yet. HAHA!

But like you, I am otherwise generally healthy and do not have any limitations on activity. I have some mild arthritis in my hands, but it comes and goes. I have lost 50+ pounds so far and I am working on losing another 15-20 pounds, but I'm not in any rush to do that. Slow and steady and making sure that I don't regain any significant amount of weight.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member

74 and counting. The last year and a half I have really focused on getting back into shape (waited too long to get a knee replacement and really backed off a lot of things for awhile.) With 60 pounds down and consistent exercise I feel better and stronger than I have in years. I try to do a variety of different activities (pool exercise, weights, rowing, walking and daily horseback riding) to achieve and maintain all around fitness. I really think mental attitude more than just years has a LOT to do with how one ages.
  • AnnPT77

What we should expect as we age depends - for many of us - on what we do as we age.

I'm 63. Many of my friends are in one of two groups: On-water rowers, and artists. Most are my age, +/- a few years, up to a decade or so off my age in either direction.

On average, the artists are sedentary, overweight to obese. To the extent that they are overweight + inactive , they require more medical interventions (surgery, drugs - all with side effects, especially as drugs interact!). They can have less fun (via things that require walking or stairs, like art and music festivals, sports/concerts in stadiums, etc.). They have hard-barrier eating prohibitions due to diabetes or drug regimens, unless they can tolerate significant health risks or consequences from an indulgence They recover much more slowly from surgery. They need more help from others (children or paid workers) with routine chores like yard work, flipping mattresses, moving furniture, painting. Their lives (financially, socially) are, frankly, stunted as they age. This makes me sad!

The rowers, at the best edge, can do what daily life requires (including purely-fun stuff). My poster gal is my frequent rowing-double partner. Four weeks to the day after hip replacement surgery, and 5 days after her 73rd birthday, she was back in a boat rowing with me. She's been weight training regularly since her 40s, running, doing Pilates and more. Last weekend, she and I went to a community festival, drank craft beer (plenty! :lol: ), ate crazy nonsense, danced, walked miles. So fun! :)

None of us have a time machine to go back and do more retroactively, but we have choices now. Good choices matter, in a big way. We can always start now, and build, with what we can manage.

The artists are definitely more creative, and accomplish more in the realm where they focus. They impress me significantly, in that way. That's useful, and important, too - no deprecation or diss intended or implied. I value them as friends and people: Balance is vital.

Most common aging-related consequences, for many people (not everyone) can be mitigated, at least for a time. Older fit people in my life have tended (again, not universally) to have a short, sharp decline before death. The fat + unfit ones have tended (also not universally) toward lengthy, slow, painful decline.

I figure I have choices. The choices may shift my odds (!!!), but they guarantee nothing. Still, it seems pretty clear what my best bet is, to play most favorable odds.

YMMV,
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Thanks for the great responses. Ann - I really took what you said to heart. Being overweight and inactive leading to more medical problems and interventions, and having much less fun in life. It brings to mind the word 'limitations'. Steve - I need to make my own flexibility more of a priority.

Also the comments about our 'death process' were thought provoking. While a few of us may die from a sudden heart attack, many of us will die of other causes. I want to avoid that lengthy, slow painful decline, if at all possible and if within my control.

I don't want to have limitations, especially self-caused ones. I don't want to be like my mother, who just turned 80, and has greatly reduced both her mobility and her ability to enjoy life because she has sat on the couch for the last 5 years, willing herself to die. I see a slow, painful decline in her future. My dad is 83 and vigorous and loves life, even with a bad heart.

I have lost 30 pounds so far, with another 50 to go. Perhaps I am doing better this time around because my focus has been based on improved health and longevity and not appearance (added benefit). I shall continue my cardio, renew my stretching efforts and add in some strength training in the next month or two (I can only make so many changes at one time).
  • AnnPT77
    Thanks for the great responses. Ann - I really took what you said to heart. Being overweight and inactive leading to more medical problems and interventions, and having much less fun in life. It brings to mind the word 'limitations'. Steve - I need to make my own flexibility more of a priority.

Also the comments about our 'death process' were thought provoking. While a few of us may die from a sudden heart attack, many of us will die of other causes. I want to avoid that lengthy, slow painful decline, if at all possible and if within my control.

I don't want to have limitations, especially self-caused ones. I don't want to be like my mother, who just turned 80, and has greatly reduced both her mobility and her ability to enjoy life because she has sat on the couch for the last 5 years, willing herself to die. I see a slow, painful decline in her future. My dad is 83 and vigorous and loves life, even with a bad heart.

I have lost 30 pounds so far, with another 50 to go. Perhaps I am doing better this time around because my focus has been based on improved health and longevity and not appearance (added benefit). I shall continue my cardio, renew my stretching efforts and add in some strength training in the next month or two (I can only make so many changes at one time).

Sounds like you have a great attitude, and a sound strategy. Congratulations on your progress so far, and best wishes for continued success (which seems likely!). :flowerforyou:
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member

Things changed for me when my husband died shortly before I turned 60. It felt like grief aged me quite a bit. For the first time ever, I started "feeling old".

I just turned 63, and am trying to improve my health in general. How I look, or what size I am, is no longer the most important thing. Retaining as much mobility as I can, for as long as possible, is what I want now.

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member

Things changed for me when my husband died shortly before I turned 60. It felt like grief aged me quite a bit. For the first time ever, I started "feeling old".

I just turned 63, and am trying to improve my health in general. How I look, or what size I am, is no longer the most important thing. Retaining as much mobility as I can, for as long as possible, is what I want now.

Sorry for your loss. I have found especially since my hip surgeries that my success lies in simply not doing any more than I can and doing it where I feel best. For me, it has been in water, a lot walking and exercises in pools. I have not ignored dry activity such as walking, treadmill and stepper, I am more comfortable in water.
    If not already, maybe your husband's memory can be a motivator. Wishing you well.
  • ourvibrantlife
    ourvibrantlife Posts: 413 Member
    Hi Everyone!

@AnnPT77 Did I see a thread were you posted tips? If so can you post the link? Thank you.

@ThisMagicMoment I am sorry for your loss. <3
  • AnnPT77
    Hi Everyone!

@AnnPT77 Did I see a thread were you posted tips? If so can you post the link? Thank you.
    <snip other tag>

Maaaybeeee . . . but which tips were you thinking of, about what? (I've been pretty opinionated on several subjects! :# )

I think these are the most commonly cited actual threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • ourvibrantlife
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

<snip other tag>

Maaaybeeee . . . but which tips were you thinking of, about what? (I've been pretty opinionated on several subjects! :# )

I think these are the most commonly cited actual threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

I will take a look. Thank you!! :)
  • ourvibrantlife
    @AnnPT77 It was the first! But both are great to bookmark for later!