Pasta

ja20102004
ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
I know many of you don't eat carbs, but my mil gave us like 2 boxes of spaghetti noodles and 3 big bags of macaroni. Any ideas what to make?

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Skinnytaste is my favorites recipe site

https://www.skinnytaste.com/main-ingredient/pasta-recipes/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why do you think many people don’t eat carbs? Dry Pasta keeps for a very long time so I don’t know that you need to be in any big hurry to use it.

I usually look on Pinterest for ideas and I do like Skinny Taste as recommended above.

Are you looking for main dish/one pot meal type recipes? Red sauce? Creamy sauce? Cheesy? Any particular proteins or other ingredients you want to include?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would use the pasta with lots of fresh veggies, black beans, tuna and garlic aioli in a nice chilled salad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Pasta is useful for throwing together a store cupboard meal when you haven't managed to hit the shops. Pair any of these with a green salad. These pasta sauces are all made in the 10 minutes while the pasta is boiling, and using ingredients that Italians would have on hand in the store cupboard. The Locatelli article does aglio olio, carbonara, tuna with tomato and olives, and cacio e pepe. I would also add puttanesca which is pretty similar to the tuna/tomato/olive recipe that Locatelli gives.

I wouldn't be too precious about any of these super quick and easy meals. For carbonara, regular bacon will do instead of hunting down guanciale (salt cured pork cheek). Similarly just keep some pitted olives on hand for the tuna and tomato recipe instead of pitting olives yourself.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/20/the-only-4-spaghetti-recipes-you-will-ever-need-giorgio-locatelli
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/25/how-to-cook-perfect-pasta-puttanesca-recipe

• LyndaBSS
    @acpgee

What is a store cupboard meal?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @acpgee

A store cupboard meal is something you can still rustle up, even when the fridge is empty. Most Italians (and myself) would have ingredients like parmesan cheese, olives, capers, onions, pepper, garlic, tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna, tinned anchovy, chillli flakes, olive oil, bacon and eggs in the pantry. I think that is the full range of ingredients required for making the sauces for cacio e pepe, aglio olio, puttanesca, carbonara as well as Locatelli's tuna/tomato/olive sauce. That and some pasta.
  • LyndaBSS
    Thank you. 😀
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @acpgee

@acpgee is giving good advice. I'd say "pantry" instead of "store cupboard" but the idea is the same. It's the stuff you want to keep on hand all year long. I consider some items from the produce, dairy, and meat departments to be "pantry" items even though they are kept in the fridge instead of a cupboard. For Instance, I think produce pantry items should include the ingredients of the mirepoix, sofrito, or trinity that you use most. For me, it is onions, carrots, celery, bell pepers, chili peppers, and garlic.

Since pasta is part of this conversation, the pasta items in my panty are all whole grain. Whole grain pasta is tricky because I love some brands, tolerate others, and detest a few. It takes a while to find the kind you like.
  • I grew up poor and ate hamburger helper a lot. Now as an adult I cook ground beef then add cooked macaroni. Ill either add a little heavy cream or tomato sauce then some parmesan cheese and I feel like a kid again. I also love mac n cheese with tomato sauce.