Friends

cynthiabickham
cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
I get notifications from different clubs in my area about going out, having fun, being amongst other people. But unfortunately for me I don’t really have any friends in real life to hang out with. I have coworkers, Facebook friends, MyFitnessPal friends, but none that I can actually hang out with. And I’d really like to be more social.

Replies

• Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Friends are amazing—close friends, even rarer and more amazing. The best advice I can give is stolen from the Bible but the paraphrase is “if you want friends, be friendly”

I’m not naturally a friendly person so I had to learn how to do it but it helped

Good luck!
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think you should give it a shot then🙌....as long as you trust the area and event why not?! Worse case you don't like it and leave...best case you make an acquaintance you may totally dig!😉

But this is coming from a gal who is now a total homebody and waiting patiently for a high school or college reunion so I can have a night out🙄....and then I probably won't go anyway🤦

So do it for us both girl!🤗😂💗
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited September 2019
    It’s hard to make friends as an adult. Your best bet is to join some cult with a mutual interest and go from there. I think friendships take time and effort...it just helps if you have something in common. I have so many acquaintances but very few “friends” and I’m a bit of nomad it makes it harder.
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    I’ve been using Bumble as a dating app, but it also gives you the option to find friends or network. Might be worth a try! Where are you from @cynthiabickham ?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    It’s hard to make friends as an adult. Your best bet is to join some cult with a mutual interest and go from there. I think friendships take time and effort...it just helps if you have something in common. I have so many acquaintances but very few “friends” and I’m a bit of nomad it makes it harder.

Join a cult ?

How long have you done CrossFit ??
  • amorfati601070
    I thought about taking acting classes. How near it would be to be able to switch characters irl?
  • amorfati601070
    1sphere wrote: »
    You're not alone with this. It's an epidemic, but there are solid reasons around it.

I found this article recently in the news here (national public news of Ireland)
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0814/1068836-how-do-we-choose-our-friends/

Might be an interesting read, at least it was very interesting to me...

the moral of the story is that when we're older, we tend to need certain kinds of friends - people who meet our emotional needs. And it can be hard to come by these people.

I think the internet, social media and just...the media ruined it for many. Creating unrealistic expectations of everything..including friends and people. Most people are actually the same, or nearly the same...only splitting hairs on some things like fashion, hobbies, politics...whatever. But really, the same needs are usually there. I think it is dangerous to be so choosie when looking for a friend. Withhold expections, diminished disappointment and just be present in the moment.
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Thank you everyone.