Getting Creative With Protein Shakes (Unflavoured Whey is very worth the trouble)

Spadesheart
Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
So I've been experimenting with unflavoured protein powder as I've recently purchased a 5 kg bag from my supplier. I think I've found the secret to actually enjoying protein shakes; put other stuff in the protein shake and blend it with ice. Whey seems to have this odd property that I didn't know about, that if it's blended with ice in a relatively strong blender, the ice gets obliterated and the whey puffs up to a pour-able foam with a pleasant texture. I am not a volume eater, but this is great if you are a volume eater as with some of these shakes the volume literally doubled or tripled.

Here are some recipes that I've tried so far that I have enjoyed:

2 Scoops unflavoured whey
Fresh Basil to taste
Frozen spinach to taste (just do it)
1 Pear
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Sucralose or other sweetener to taste
Ice
1-2 cups water

This is a really herbaceous, fresh, fruity smoothie that I really enjoyed. I have a ton of basil from my garden to use up and this was a great use.

1-2 Teaspoons Matcha Powder
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
Ice
1 cup water

I do not like bananas by themselves, but found that if I wanted a more dessert-y smootie, they worked really well as a base as it added a smoothness and richness that I appreciated. The matcha worked very well with it as well. Solid pre-workout because of the caffeine.

1-2 Teaspoons Shots chilled Espresso
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
Ice
1 cup water

In the same vein as the previous shake, but for coffee lovers. I highly suggest this, it was delicious and the coffee aftertaste is pleasant. Solid pre-workout again because of the caffeine.

Fresh Mint to taste
1 cup frozen or fresh blackberries (or other berries)
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Ice
1-2 cups water

It was nice! Required a good deal of sweetener as the blackberries were also sour. Could optionally put in some frozen spinach as well if you want it to be a bit more earthy. The mint was from my garden and gave it a nice herbal quality. The seeds are unpleasant, but they all sink to the bottom.

28 grams hot chocolate mix
20 grams thai black sesame with dried brown rice drink mix (or more hot chocolate)
Ice
1 cup water

This is straight up dessert, cant really even justify it as the add ins have comparable calories to a bowl of ice cream, and the protein is really the only thing with good nutritional value. That being said, its a good way to get that protein in, especially if you're the type of person who needs dessert. I do. Honestly if you can get your hands on this black sesame stuff, its a lovely flavour.

1 Apple (peeled and cored for best texture)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Ice
1-2 cups water

I'm too lazy to peel the apple, but it would be best with a peeled apple. Turns out to taste something like a nice cinnamon apple cheesecake, I really enjoyed it.

I highly suggest getting some unflavoured protein and experimenting with it this way. It takes like an extra minute, and it actually makes those things enjoyable to drink rather than this awful chore to get your protein macro to where it should be.

If you have tried this and have any other recipe suggestions, suggest away!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I just mix unflavored whey with a banana, milk, and lots of ice in the blender. I have made it with other fruits, but definitely prefer banana.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    I just mix unflavored whey with a banana, milk, and lots of ice in the blender. I have made it with other fruits, but definitely prefer banana.

It's the other stuff that definitely makes it palatable hahaha
  • Your matcha and espresso sound good. I always just add a little honey and maybe some pumpkin spice . The unflavored whey we just got recently is a different brand than usual and reminds me of powdered milk but I dont mind drinking it plain.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    I use unflavored collagen powder for my protein and these two are my go-to's:

chocolate brownie:
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 scoops collagen powder
    big handful of baby spinach
    2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
    3-4 slices frozen banana
    1 tbsp MCT oil

almond banana:
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 scoops collagen powder
    1 tbsp almond butter
    2 tbsp flax meal