Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello Fellow Travelers on the Journey for a Smaller Size and Better Health!

How wonderful to log on today and see all of the posts! This is really great! I am Cyndy and I have been on and off this feed for a couple of years. Last year, when I lost a really good friend to cancer and was going through some family drama... I made a renewed commitment to restart the journey... to move forward. I was 221 last August and this August I am hovering around 187ish. This group helps tremendously!

@mnwalkingqueen - I am so sorry you lost your son. I know it takes a while to learn to live with that grief. I lost my husband in 2006. He was the great love of my life... and everyday I am learning how to deal with the grief. Hang in there, you get stronger as the years go by... you get better at dealing with the loss. My heart goes out to you and I am here for you.

As for my journey... I am still feeling kinda stuck. In my past attempts... this is the point when I sorta give up and start inching back up. Not gonna let that happen this time. I will tough it out even if it means I'm stuck at this weight for a bit. I know, mentally, I will get back to the place where I was last year as far as food and fitness and it will really kick in. I just have to be patient and keep trying.

Also @mnwalkingqueen ... I am going to the Los Angeles County Fair on Monday. There is all that tempting terrible fun food (yikes!). Above, I talked about family drama... well, I had a falling out with my son's wife. We have been at odds for over 2 years. This little outing to the Fair is a big step forward. My son actually invited me to join them ... its a really big deal for me. I have been trying to mend the fence this whole time... so this is progress.

Have a great day everyone! Let's do this!!!
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @sweeetypie1 Great job about going for the walk. A start is a start and after awhile it will get easier. I am glad you blood sugar is under control I now have my Blood sugar under control but that is due to medications. My A1C is 5.7 last visit. At first I was diligent about avoiding sugar and only having sugar free foods that I lost weight, if only I could always stay that way. I would love to lose the weight and not have to take any medicines. Not only do I take a daily pill but I also have to take a weekly shot, I would love to quit needing that and my High blood pressure meds. I know that my weight is the cause of that and if I lost the weight and kept it off I wouldn't need all the medications that I take.

@skinnyjeanzbound I remember you too. I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

@mnwalkingqueen I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my brother a little of 3 years ago and it still hurts when I think of things that I knew he would enjoy. I just went to Georgetown Tx for my cousins wedding and it felt wrong that he wasn't there. It does help to talk about it. I know losing my brother doesn't compare to losing a child but loss and grief does get better with time. It never goes away but it becomes bearable and soon you will be telling stories of something they did and you could smile without crying. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

@raindogmaa I hope that this trip does help mend the fences. I know you love your son and his family and no argument is worth losing family over. They will realize this. My suggestion is to try not to dwell on the past mistakes you both have made and only go forward. I am thinking happy thoughts for you.

AFM
    Yesterday I talked my granddaughter into going on a walk with me. We drove to the park where they have this sidwalk trail through the trees to give us shade. It is only a half mile loop and only planned to walk around twice since I haven't exercised in forever. Mind you my grandaughter is a little chubby from a summer of doing nothing but playing video games so I didn't think she would even be willing to go. Not only did she go but she encouraged me to run a little (very little), but it is a start. We even did the exercise stops they have on the trail it was fun. I told her we could go again. She said "Ok but not tomorrow because then I will be tired from doing it too much." I have been teaching her to play volleyball, so I told her we would play that instead.

Wednesday Wish:

1. I wish I had the strength and energy to workout everyday. But with my bad knee it is baby steps, I don't want to injure that knee again.

2. I wish I enjoyed cooking. My daughter enjoys cooking and cooks for us but not everyday. Which is for the best because her food is always high in carbs.

3. I wish I was rich enough to retire early and I could just do the things I like doing instead of going to work everyday and driving in traffic.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @'Cyndy- Sorry for your losses. Thanks for the words of wisdom. As far as the fair my key to not over eat is share everything plus saves money on pocket book. I hope you have a good time with your family at the fair.

@cjbrummet- Sorry to hear of your loss. I understand what you are saying for some days I can talk about my son with no tears and then sometimes a song comes on that make tears flow for hours. September it will have been 4 years.
    I think it is awesome that you and your granddaughter do fitness together.

Wednesday Wish

1. Also would wish for enough savings to retire and not be financially stressed out.

2. I wish we could do away with daylight savings time. Also want longer summers or warmer fall.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @holly-- I'm so glad you're back!! I remember when you lost your son--he was only 19, right? My heart aches for you, but I'm glad you are taking steps to deal with the grief.

I'm going to Dana Point, CA with my sister to go to the Ohana Music Festival. We both love Red Hot Chili Peppers, and they are headlining Sunday night. Since we are flying out Saturday, we plan to spring for 3-day passes to go see Eddie Vetter on Saturday night as well--I love Pearl Jam, so I'm very excited!!

@catherine-- That's great that you got your granddaughter to walk with you. I'm with you on wish #3! I have 13 years of teaching left to reach my maximum retirement age, but I'm currently striving to retire in 10. If we can pay off our mortgage by then, I should be able to do it. Of course, I'm knocking on all kinds of wood that neither my husband nor I have any unexpected health issues, and that my parents remain financially stable in their retirement. It will also depend on where we decide to retire. We are thinking someplace in the Caribbean, but many of my friends are moving to the West Coast. If we decide to go in that direction, we will have to work a bit longer since the cost of living is so much higher.

@cyndy-- I'm glad you got the invite from your son to join them. It's so hard when family is estranged. My husband currently has no relationship with his mother, and it's sad, but necessary due to her mental instability. He still loves her, and I know he sometimes feels guilty, but he's so much happier without her toxicity in his life. It's good that you and your son and daughter in law can move past prior issues--enjoy your time with them. :)

AFM-- I'm still struggling to get used to my work schedule, but so far the kiddos have been pretty great. Despite my lack of sleep, I managed to make it to the gym again today.

Wednesday Wish:
    That the school year continues to go smoothly.

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 196 (7/6/19)

7/6/19 = 196
    7/13/19 =196
    7/20/19 = 194
    7/27/19 = 194
    8/3/19 = 195
    8/10/19 = 195
    8/17/19 = 195
    8/24/19 = 195
    8/31/19 =

Water Challenge Goal:
    80+ oz. each day
    5/8
  • cjbrummet
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen I am so with you about the daylight savings. It is such an annoyance. Messes up my internal clock for about a week when we do it.

@skinnyjeanzbound I technically work at a school, it is a university hospital and look forward to retirement, which probably won't be for another 12 years. So for now I have to battle traffic to and from the hospital. After so many years of being night shift and never having to worry about that it is still the only thing I dislike about working dayshift. I used to work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week, now I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I like the 8 hours but I wish I had a day off during the week. I hate having to plan dr appointments and stuff.

AFM not much to say. I am waiting until about 7pm tonight to go walk with my granddaughter. It will still be light and the temperature won't be that bad. I am glad she reminded me to go today. I am currently charging an old Ipod and putting music on her so she can listen to music while we walk. I am not much of a talker while walking/running and she is a chatterbox. It is hard for me to breathe and exercise, much less talk. But I love her for encouraging me. She is truly the light of my life. I have four grown children and surprisingly I only have one grandchild. I am not really begging for more I am just surprised.

Today was a really easy day at work which doesn't happen often. So I spent the afternoon visiting with coworkers. I am happy to report that I have not hit the snack cabinet once since I committed to going back on my diet. We have a cabinet that we all bring snacks to share. I generally brought the most, even things I didn't like because I knew my coworkers liked them. One of the guys lamented that the cabinet will be bare now that I am trying to eat right.

Thursday Truth:

I am trying to give up sodas so I am gradually drinking less and less. I haven't told anyone at home because I fear I won't be able to give them up completely and I don't want to hear their "help" when I decide to drink one. I used to drink about 6-7 cans of Diet Mountain Dews a Day. I cut back to one Ultra Monster drink and one or two diet dews. I know Monster drinks are incredibly bad for anyone but I don't drink coffee and I need the caffeine. I have one and I sip on it all day at work. I generally have about a 1/4 of it left at the end of the day. I want to give up the dews.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @Karen - Red Hot Chili Peppers love them also. Saw them in concert in high school. Jermey is my favorite Pearl Jam song. Sounds like a fun time. Yes, my son was 19.
    @cjbrummet- I understand the soda issue my so called coffee is diet coke. I am down to about 2-3 20oz a day. It wasn’t easy and some people tell me I need to stop altogether but I just want moderation. I also am not chatty when working out. I guss that I would look real crazy talking to my dog for 3 miles.

AFM:
    My truth is my dog has suffered from my depression in the past. So a trainer is coming to train me on his issues tomorrow. I am super nervous due to my lack of confidence of doing things correctly.
  • cjbrummet
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen the nice things about pets is they are so willing to love and forgive if you make mistakes. I think our pets behavior can often mimic the owners feelings. You have been through alot and so has he. You will both pull through this together.

@skinnyjeanzbound so are you in a challenge or are you just posting weekly weights to keep yourself motivated? What day of the week do you weigh in? I might join you so I can see my progress weekly rather than daily. I doubt I could ever get 80oz of water in, I would be lucky to get 40oz. I don't drink much plain water, too many sodas. I should drink more water.

Friday Fitness

So yesterday I went for a walk with my granddaughter and I outlasted her. We only did about 1 1/2 mile just a little longer than the time before but half through it she was ready to quit. But she stuck it out and has even agreed to come for a walk with me on Saturday morning. I told her we would go early so that it wouldn't be so hot.

Today after work I planned to go to the gym and workout (I mean I pay for why don't I use it?) but right at the end of the day we had a patient code in the EP. I went over to offer my help. I spent the next 2 hours running down halls and up and down the stairs get blood products for this patient. I was literally in almost constant motion for over two hours. I was exhausted. I was too tired from all that and working such a long day. However the nice thing was that traffic was much nicer when I finally left.

So on Sept 14 I have signed up for the Heart Walk, (I have to I mean I work in the Cath Lab!!!) Anyway I am so out of shape so that is why I have been doing these walks to help increase my stamina. I will be with a couple of friends who promise not to leave me behind...lol So far I have only walked 1 1/2 mile at most so finsihing a 5K would be a stretch for me right now, but I am committed. How long is 5K, 3.2 miles right??? I can do that. I just hope it isn't too hot.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @cjbrummet - Great walk with your granddaughter. Congratulations on signing up for the walk and I believe 5k is 3.2 miles or slightly less.

Success for this week

1. Lost 1 lb
    2. NSV- Dog training went real well
  • cjbrummet
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen I am so glad the dog training went so well!

So no walk today it was pouring down rain. I thought about going to gym but of course I found plenty of excuses not to go. I ended up getting my car inspected and went grocery shopping instead. I will definitely go tomorrow, no excuses. Hopefully it won't rain, but if it does I will go to the gym.

I went to the movies today and saw Good Boys. It was hilarious. Lots of crude humor but funny none the less. I would recommend it if you like that type of movie. I did binge a bit with the movie popcorn and even ate too many Mike & Ike candies and regretted it. My stomach was so upset afterwards

Saturday Success:

My success this week is that I have stayed on my diet all week, (excluding todays movie). Twice this week someone brought in doughnuts and both times I stayed away from them. Doughnuts are my kryptonite. I know, I know they are just fat pills, but they are delicious fat pills. If I let myself I could eat the whole dozen.

My other success is that I lost 4.4 lbs this week. I know it is probably all water or something but i will take it.

Name: Catherine
    Height: 5’3"
    Highest Weight: 264
    Starting Weight: 222.8
    Current Weight: 218.4

8/26/19 - 222.8
    8/31/19 - 218.4

weight loss: -4.4 lbs
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I'm back for the umpteenth time. It's not that I don't realize the power of this group. It's just my health is up and down and when it's up, I try to do everything I couldnt do when it is down. I've recentlly lost 6.2 lbs but honestly its because my tummy is too upset to eat. I plan to go to the pool later today for some pool walking. I'm making a commitment to log in every day for 30 days. Wishing everyone sucess today
    Katrena
  • KATRENAJ
    Options
    Holly, I too lost my son to suicide. Counseling really didn't help me (just saying) but a grief share group helped me tremendously as well as a suicide grief group. www.griefshare.com can show you where a local group is in your area. Talking and acknowledging your feelings is the best therapy for a loss such as this. Being with a group of folks who understand what you are experiencing is therapeutic. I've made many friends from the group. It's been 12 years but I still miss him. This weekend his grandchildren who he never got to see are on vacation at the beach. The youngest daughter is a spitting image of my son and she gives me great joy. as do the other two. My heart goes out to you. May God's peace cover you with love

Katrena
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @katrena--Welcome back!!

@catherine-- Great job resisting the doughnuts! We often have those floating around the office as well. My trick is to tell myself I can have one after lunch. It's amazing how unappetizing they are after they've been picked over and are starting to go stale. I usually end up passing them up at that point. I saw the boys from that movie on Colbert earlier this week--they were very cute and the movie looks funny.

To answer your earlier questions, the listing of weekly weight started as a challenge a long time ago, and a bunch of us in this thread used to do it. Now, I think we just continue as a way to track and work toward individual goals.

I weigh myself every morning and then I post my lowest weight from that week as my Saturday weight. I used to be scale obsessed--I would weigh myself multiple times a day and stress over every ounce--so I did some research and learned 2 things: 1. Healthy-weight/fit people weigh in daily; it helps them maintain the healthy weight 2. it's normal for weight to fluctuate as much as 5 lbs from one day to the next based on sodium, hydration, sleep, etc. Based on that information, early in my weight loss journey I started weighing in once (and only once) each day, first think in the morning, and would only record a new weight in MFP when it went below my previous low weight. It really helped me lose the obsession and get used to the normal fluctuations. I started paying more attention to the broader trend of the scale moving down from week to week and month to month. Long story short, my advice is weigh-in daily and record weekly. :)

@holly-- Yay for the 1 lb loss! I'm glad the work with your pup is going well. What kind is he and how old?

AFM-- I had a really good week--ate reasonably and went to the gym 3 times. Finally saw 194 on the scale again this week too!

Catherine asked about challenges, and that reminded me that it's a new month and our water challenge is over. What do people want to do for September? Maybe an exercise challenge? Since we all do different workouts, maybe we can set our own goals (x steps/day, # of walks/week, gym visit x times/week, etc.). Share your ideas so we can get started toward success!!

7/6/19 = 196
    7/13/19 =196
    7/20/19 = 194
    7/27/19 = 194
    8/3/19 = 195
    8/10/19 = 195
    8/17/19 = 195
    8/24/19 = 195
    8/31/19 = 194

Water Challenge Goal:
    80+ oz. each day
    8/8
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Sorry for this, but question here... How do I respond to a member's post without quoting the entire post? Like when you can just have @ then the users name?? Is there a shortcut?
  • cjbrummet
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @dustyspal I think that if you put @ in front of their username it tags them so they get an notification on top of the home board. That way you can hit the notification and it will take you right to the message

@skinnyjeanzbound I vote for number of workouts (your own definition of that, walk, exercise, run, etc...) since that is what I am trying to encourage myself to do. Also I only weigh myself once a day wearing the same thing at the same time so it is consistent. I like to do it first thing in the morning.

Went for my walk with my granddaughter today and she totally quit on me. 3/4 mile in she starts saying that she is tired and this isn't fun anymore. I tried to tell her that it get easier the more she does it. I told her she doesn't have to come with me. She says it is too hot. Maybe she will come again when it is cooler. I wish she was older so we could go to a gym when it is this hot. The community center requires that the kids be at least 12 and within arms reach of the adult. She is only 10.

Sunday Sharing:

I'm a little glad my genaddaughter isn't coming with me. I love her but I think she was slowing me down. I can't talk while running and I think she was bored. I liked having someone to exercise with but not necessarily run beside and she is too young for me to have out of eyesight. Maybe I will have to find things we can do, we are still playing volleyball.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, happy Monday! Since it looks like Mondays are for check-ins, I'll share a success from the long weekend. I went up to NYC for a couple of days, I used to work in Manhattan and go back a few times a year to check out all my old haunts... for the first time EVER, I was able to walk around the city all day without getting winded and didn't need an afternoon nap to recharge before going out for the evening. I walked everywhere instead of taking cabs -- 10 miles in a day and a half. I loved it. Losing a few pounds certainly helped, but I know it's going to the gym 2-3x/week that's been the biggest factor. <3

@cjbrummet and @KATRENAJ - so sorry to read of your losses, and thinking of you today.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @dustyspal- I just write up my replies and copy them to my post
    @katrenaj- suppourt group helped alot for me but I have other family issues that counseling is for. I lost my son same way. Sorry to hear of your loss.
    @karen- Riley is a shepherd mix that loves to hunt and he is 5 yrs old this year. I will attch photo is app lets me. I’m open to any challenge.

16vllke5cr8q.jpeg
  • KATRENAJ
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound – Thanks for the welcome back. I think exercise goals would be great. Just getting back into exercise after an accident but anything to encourage me to get moving

@midmodjen – Thanks for your kind thoughts. I am so happy for you. Being able to wander in comfort is fantastic.
    I spent 5 weeks in Europe and I had to sit down often, Luckily there are benches in most public areas and street in Spain and France and Russia had lots of parks and coffee shops and even anti-cafes (places where you could get free drinks and snacks and just paid a small fee for time spent there. They offered reading materials, games and even art supplies. Many Russians go there to meet others and to sharpen their foreign language skills.) We even found a cat café where cats were served foot and given nice windows to lay in and humans were given coffee. Pretty cool!

Name: Katrena
    Height: 5’.05"
    Highest Weight: 235
    Current Weight: 220 (7/6/19)

7/6/19 =
    7/13/19 =
    7/20/19 =
    7/27/19 =
    8/3/19 =
    8/10/19 =
    8/17/19 =
    8/24/19 =
    8/31/19 = 217.8
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @cjbrummet Your granddaughter reminds me of my oldest son at that age. My Dad took him for a bike ride and he complained the whole time 😂 it was boring, it was too far, it was too much work, etc etc. But ODS (older dear son) has ADHD and we gave him a choice since it was summer—bike ride with Grandpa because the exercise helped take the hyperactivity or he could take his meds (it was summer break so he didn’t need them for school but boy oh boy was that kid hyped up without them!). He chose bike rides and my poor Dad was a saint for taking him and listening to the complaints 😂😂. And then one day ODS comes home really super excited because they rode eleven whole miles and he was only ten so he rode more miles than his age! The complaining ended but the “can we go farther? How many miles more did we do today?” started 😉

He’s 14 now and we live several states away so we don’t get to see my parents often but ODS still talks about how great those bike rides with Grandpa were. He doesn’t remember the complaining but he sure does remember the special time he spent riding with Grandpa 🙂
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I remember when I was here the first time and I would read the stories of people that gained back the weight and I would think how did you allow that to happen?! Oh well ... now I am in the same boat ... have not gained all back, but 2/3!!! Now I know how they “allow” that to happen .... everything tastes better with a side of French fries and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ;)

So here I am again trying to get back into the the discipline of MFP, eating healthy and working out.

Needless to say don’t let my story discourage you ... MFP is a great tool and this group helped me tons , so that is why I am back ... I know it works!

SW: 229.6
    LW: 148.9 (I almost fell out of my chair when I looked for the lowest weight in MFP)
    CW:197.8
    GW: 130

I see some familiar names and some new ... for those don’t know me, I am Ana and currently live in Chicago; no kids, but I do have fur baby who is a bit too spoiled.

Anyway ... Looking forward cheering you all through this journey :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @ana-- Welcome back!! Your post rings true for me--I would see other people starting over after regaining significant weight and hope I wouldn't fall into that trap. Well, I'm fortunate that I only gained about 20 lbs, but that was still a third of my original loss of 60 lbs. Now I'm just 10 lbs away from my previous low, but I feel like I've been stuck here in the 190s forever. We both did it before and we can do it again!!

@hazel-- that's great that your son got to spend such quality time with his grandpa.

@holly-- what a beautiful dog!! Gunner is also a shepherd mix, so I'm a bit biased. :)

@jenn-- congrats on your NSV in NYC!! It's so great when our hard work pays off in a tangible way. Seeing the scale go down is nice, but it's the NSVs that really matter.

@dustyspal -- yes, @ plus the user name tags the person. I try to use people's real names in this thread if they've shared them; it doesn't tag them, but I think it makes it more personal. :)

Sounds like everyone is up for an exercise challenge for September, so here it goes:
    <3<3<3 Set your own weekly exercise goal and track your progress for the month <3<3<3

AFM-- I'm going to struggle to meet my goal this week. I went to the gym Saturday, skipped yesterday, and then realized a bit too late in the day that my gym was closing at 3 for the holiday today. I will go for sure tomorrow and Saturday, but Wed I have a dentist appointment right after work, and Thurs I have open house at school. I hate working out on Fridays, but I may have to if I don't have time to go after my dentist appointment on Wed.

I'm also having a calorie crisis, in that, I wish I had more available. I ate leftover pizza for breakfast, and then my husband grilled burgers for dinner. That wouldn't have been so bad, but he made them at like 4 pm which is way earlier than I usually eat dinner. After the burger I was still kind of hungry, but I want some ice cream for dessert. I've been trying to keep myself busy knowing that if I eat the ice cream too early, I will want another snack later because I don't go to bed until 11 or 12. It's now 7 pm and if I can hold off for another hour, I should be good. I know this isn't really a crisis, but the longer I spend on my laptop rambling on about it to you guys, the more time I'll waste. LOL

7/6/19 = 196
    7/13/19 =196
    7/20/19 = 194
    7/27/19 = 194
    8/3/19 = 195
    8/10/19 = 195
    8/17/19 = 195
    8/24/19 = 195