WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    New month, but not feeling it. Just skimming. Worried about DH surgery tomorrow. My mind says all will be well but my anxiety/depression is in full swing.

Laters

RV Rita

Rita - (((HUGS)))) You've been through this before with your DH, he'll probably take more time to heal than before. Ice packs were/are my best friend.

My DH told me this morning he wants the "old Lanette" back, and I want her back too. I know I'm grouchy but aim to say "thank you" as many times a day as I can.

Hives/rash aren't getting better despite everything oral and topical that I could think of and that the doc's office recommended.

The light bulb went on a little bit ago and my tummy is now covered with Flexall 420 Cannabis cream. Crossing fingers it eases the itching (seems to be subsiding) or I just won't care about it anymore, lol. B)

Welcome new folks - lots I want to comment on but will catch up later! <3

Hugs!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Lanette Have you tried Tecnu poison ivy and oak treatment? My former boss was allergic to poison ivy and was hospitalized for it. They introduced him to Tecnu. The stuff's amazing. It's all I use now for any rash.
  • SophieRosieMom
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Lanette Have you tried Tecnu poison ivy and oak treatment? My former boss was allergic to poison ivy and was hospitalized for it. They introduced him to Tecnu. The stuff's amazing. It's all I use now for any rash.

Lynda -I had not heard of Tecnu. I see Amazon has it. Do you use the spray? Poison ivy is exactly what this rash is like!!

Thank you!!

Lanette
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Went for a 14.5-mile ride. The first seven miles were all uphill and about did me in, but the ride home was wonderful - hit 25 miles per hour! I now know I need to dial back working out on Fridays as that prevented me from having a good ride this past Saturday. All but one of my kids are coming for late lunch/early dinner today as it's Labor Day here.

For those of you with health issues and concerns about caregiving, you are in my prayers :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lanette Try taking an antihistamine plus stomach acid medicine. Allegra & Pepcid or Zyrtec & Zantac or Benadryl & Tagamet, for example. You'll get better histamine receptor blockade & it might help with the misery. Maybe you already tried that.

Barbie I'm glad for your aunt to be released from being miserable but sad for the empty place her passing will leave in your life and routine. (((Hugs)))

Rita I hope everything goes well. We'll be thinking of you & your husband.

_______

We got the rest of the deck sealed this morning. Tomorrow we can move the furniture back into place. It looks really nice. I was resistant to the idea, as we had refinished & sealed it less than a year ago, but I am happy with the results of another coat of sealer. I hope it lasts a little longer this time.

We had twin beds in our guest room. We put them together into a bunk bed...the grandkids had been wanting us to do that, so now it's done. We have a trundle daybed in my partner's office for guests, too, just in case the bunk bed doesn't appeal (LOL!).

Karen in Virginia
  • LyndaBSS
    lhscapil wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Lynda -I had not heard of Tecnu. I see Amazon has it. Do you use the spray? Poison ivy is exactly what this rash is like!!

Thank you!!

Lanette

I use the ointment. The spray doesn't work as well, in my opinion.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
  • SophieRosieMom
    Lanette Try taking an antihistamine plus stomach acid medicine. Allegra & Pepcid or Zyrtec & Zantac or Benadryl & Tagamet, for example. You'll get better histamine receptor blockade & it might help with the misery. Maybe you already tried that.

Karen-thanks, no one had suggested that combo. Have pepcid and Allegra here. Took Zyrtec at 2:30 this morning. I will wait until later in the day to take them.

I hoped that by having surgery last Monday, any side effects would have presented by the end of the week. Tummy rash came on strong over the weekend. I guess this is rare?

Cannabis cream seems to be helping. Scouring the pantry for cheetos, lol.I

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    edited September 2019
    Barbie: Thanks for keeping us going Barbie. My first 2 days have been ultra busy, as all my activities have restarted this week and I had lots of prep to complete.
    Will skim read 1st 7 pages.

Goal Update from August

The Word for August was REFLECTION
    I am keeping it for September.

Scale Goals progress:
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014) Worsening hip problem made weight loss imperative.
    Jan 2015: 220: -7lbs; Struggled on my own to lose that 7 lbs. Joined MFP on daughter's recommendation.
    UGW: 153 (losing 1 lb per week)
    Sept 2015: 189:✅ -38; Had my hip replacement op.
    Oct 2016: 153:✅ -75: My lowest weight in a long time. It was a really struggle losing the final few lbs.
    Nov 2016: 160:🤦🏼‍♀️ -68: A holiday and several family celebrations later.
    Feb 2017: 164:🤦🏼‍♀️ -64 Christmas and more celebrations!
    Aug 2017: 159.2:✅ -68.8 I seem to have reached an equilibrium around 160/5.
    Jan 2018: 165: 😏 Still working on discarding that last 12 lbs.
    Jan 2019: 165: 😏 Still working at it.
    Goal for Dec 2019: 155
    Apr 2019: 162.4: 😄 Decided to concentrate more on health and fitness. I am increasing my strength training.
    Jul 2019: 166.2: 💪🏻 Muscle % increasing, but so is weight. Measurements are decreasing. Holiday 20 - 27 July Is bound to push it up more!
    1 Aug: 167.8
    1 Sept: 161.4
    2 Sept: 160.4 Things are looking good for my 2019 goal.

August goals
    Very happy with August progress, so largely sticking to these goals for September

[*] Start each day with Meditation/Reflection 🌻
    [*] Log all food/drink food/follow through/hydrate 🌻
    [*] Weight less at the end than at the beginning 🌻 - 5.4 lbs 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
    [*] 30+ minutes intentional exercise + 6000 steps 🌻
    [*] Continue work on improving strength🌻
    [*] Continue 🌻
    [*] Keep on top of laundry/general housework/chores 🌻
    [*] Spend quality time with DH 🌻
    [*] Work in the garden (weather permitting)🌻
    [*] Work on completing crochet projects🌻
    [*] Declutter 15+ minutes per day🌻
    [/list]
    Word for September is REFLECTION
    Sept goals
    • Start each day with Meditation/Reflection
    • Prelog food/follow through/hydrate
    • Weight less at the end than at the beginning
    • 30+ minutes intentional exercise + 6000 steps
    • Continue work on improving strength
    • Keep on top of laundry/general housework/chores
    • Work on completing crochet projects
    • Declutter 15+ minutes per day

☘️ Irish Terri

• pipcd34
    stats for the day:

0runner- 30min, 1119ahr, 150mhr, 106c, 10h, 40l, lvl10, 10.45min mi, 2.85mi= 253c
    Apple Watch- 185c
    stairclimber- 10min, 132ahr,140mhr, lvl7, 43floors, 680steps= 125c
    Apple Watch- 115c
    manual treadmill, walk/slow fog- 15min, 117ahr, 138mhr, .91mi= 135c
    Apple Watch- 114c
    arm/chin-up assist- 15min, 118ahr, 145mhr, 3sts of 10ea w/7different floor exercises= 128c
    Apple Watch- 112c

total cal 641
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited September 2019
    (((Rita)))

Lanette
    Love the emphasis on the Thank yous. I also have a sign that says smile. It is hard to to be grouch when you smile. You do have a reason with that nasty rash.

I have observed in classrooms that forget their please and thank yous it does not tend to be a happy classroom.

Made progress on my list and making a list of questions to ask lawyer. Friend suggested I ask am I charged for phone calls or is this part of the fee that was quoted at the beginning. I still will need to talk to him but if I am charged per call or the time I need to know how much so there are no surprises. Again I am trying to make this as easy as I can because I am asking a niece from out of town to handle our estate.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm just gonna steal these, with a few small modifications from....Terri Richards' Sept goals about 3 posts back

"Start each day with Meditation/Reflection
    Prelog food/follow through/hydrate
    Weight less at the end than at the beginning
    30+ minutes intentional exercise + 6000 steps
    Continue work on improving strength
    Keep on top of laundry/general housework/chores
    Work on completing crochet projects
    Declutter 15+ minutes per day

☘️ Irish Terri "

Start each day with petting the 2 cats (meditation proxy + good for the cats)
    Prelog food/follow through/hydrate
    Weight less at the end than at the beginning
    120 minutes/week outside + 1000 steps/day (remember I have partial tendon tear)
    Continue PT, start on improving strength
    Keep on top of laundry/general housework/chores
    (recovered knitter don't start knitting again or I won't do anything else!)
    Declutter 15+ minutes per day
    Do not watch Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell punditry both first and re-run, pick one or the other airing (wastes time)
    No more than 1 hour/day of online boggle & scrabble. No rollover minutes.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lanette You can take Zyrtec & Pepcid. No magic in the combos, I just used them as examples.

Also, any steroid creams you might have will help. Hydrocortisone OTC, or better yet, something prescribed for eczema or whatever...like triamcinolone...even calamine or Caladryl will help, as will Aveeno bath.

xoxo

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    Lanette You can take Zyrtec & Pepcid. No magic in the combos, I just used them as examples.

Thank you! Zyrtec actually works better for me. Will call doc's office first thing tomorrow and fill them in. I appreciate your help! And Lynda, I ordered some Technu gel.

Lanette
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    edited September 2019
    Barbie: So sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.
    Rita: Understandable! Prayers for a successful operation for DH.

Welcome to all our newbies!

Finally up to date.

Sorry. No time left for other comments as I have prep to do for tomorrow morning’s Patchwork Group.

May pop back later, though.

☘️Terri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Still up in new Hampshire but will.leaving early am tomorrow as the traffic will be rough today. Tom is disappointed I'm not down in Ct spending time with Chester.. its sorta between a rock and a hard place he is living with Elena and I am not gonna waltz on in.. I will spend the day with the 3 dogs tomorrow after I take Chester to the Vet for bloodwork at 9 am. I love all my dogs but just dont to drive through holiday traffic ..
    I have thrown caution to the wind on the eating front and will her right back on it in the morning and stay with it...because I know it works...breezy and cloudy with rain tonight so will leave 4-5 in the morning.
  • LyndaBSS
    lhscapil wrote: »

Thank you! Zyrtec actually works better for me. Will call doc's office first thing tomorrow and fill them in. I appreciate your help! And Lynda, I ordered some Technu gel.

Lanette

Glad to hear it. You don't need much. It feels grainy when you put it on. Works like a miracle though. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you. 😉
  • pipcd34
    ///