Swimming routines, please share

LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I am kind of a swimmer by necessity, swimming on dr's orders mainly. I had a month break, where I swam several times per week in the sea, and tomorrow I have to renew my annual subscription in the pool and feel kind of bored even thinking of just swimming laps. School year starts, so between work and driving the kids to and from their activities, going to the beach is over, other than a few more weekends. So, I am looking for any ideas how to add some variety. Any routines you like, goals I can set? I have thought also about headphones, so if there are any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Replies

• kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    I usually swim for 1/2 hr, water jog for 1/2 hr and then incorporate some jumping Jack's, lunges that kind of thing. I feel amazing when I leave and so easy on my joints😊
  • annspal4
    annspal4 Posts: 8 Member
    I really appreciate swimming laps with music! I use a little iPod with wired headphones. I got it several years ago on amazon from a seller called Waterfi. I am sure that technology has advanced in the meantime, but mine keeps on doing the job...
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    There's loads of exercises you can do in the water. If your pool does an aqua aerobics class I highly recommend you go, even if it's just the once to get some ideas. Boxing punches underwater (you may need to squat a little to make sure the arms stay under water) are a super thing to do, for example. Striding or trying to run in the water is great too.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Have you tried a paddle board class? So much fun & incredible variety. Also, Watergym is a blast with little/no impact
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can swim laps using different strokes and drills to mix things up. Your goals can be either distance or time related or both.
    https://www.usms.org/fitness-and-training/online-workouts
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    annspal4 wrote: »
    I really appreciate swimming laps with music! I use a little iPod with wired headphones. I got it several years ago on amazon from a seller called Waterfi. I am sure that technology has advanced in the meantime, but mine keeps on doing the job...

Yes, I just bought a waterproof MP3 player from Amazon for £32! Used it twice, so far works great. No reason you couldn't put podcasts or audiobooks on it as well as music.

My swim routine basically involves me trying to beat my time record for 1km. Now I've got it down to 20 mins, I'm trying to get up to 1.5km (in whatever time). It's a bit boring at times, but I enjoy it too. Good luck!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2019
    Try swimming on your back for a long time and use frog like motions with your legs and using your arms SLOWLY moving back and forth/up and down like a bird wings flying...it's so, ummmmm, relaxing, peaceful, totally exhilarating and wonderful. Makes you feel like you're "flying" but in the water. You'll NEVER get bored doing that, because as you're swimming like that, your mind/thoughts will begin meditating on beautiful and lovely things--it does for me.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Waterproof headphones and MP3 player is a game changer for laps! I bought an all in one kinda thing that was $50 several years ago. I’d look for cheap and plan on just replacing when they inevitably stop working.

I either set out a mile goal(about an hr for me doing free style, minimal water breaks) or would do a 400yard IM, then 25 yd sprint, 75 yd easy repeat until I got bored. Plenty of workouts online, but if swimming just to swim I’d set a time goal and just do whatever strokes break up the routine and listen to energizing music.