The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Confession time. I drank on Saturday night. Had no intentions to drink but my partner fancied a few drinks. Must admit it didn't take much to twist my arm. We have basically been cleaning non stop and it was like a toast to the new kitchen. This makes me realise how difficult it can be to stay sober I felt as if my not drinking was ruining my partners buzz somehow so I joined in. He went to shop and bought more booze than I would have bought if I had been to shop. I ended up being sick all night so it wasn't great. Maybe the break in drinking has made my tolerance levels much lower now. I'm still feeling out of sorts so only good thing is it's put me off drinking again !

New day, new week, new month so not gona dwell on it too much.

Hugs to you. It is a bummer that for a few hours of fun, we suffer later. After I drink, the next day besides being sick, I feel jittery and anxious. So, it's double trouble. These episodes are always a good reminder of why we want to stay sober. Sometimes, we just have to roll with it, analyze how it happened and what we can do to improve. Life is a dress rehearsal. The positive is I bet the next night you slept so well. Look forward to a new week! :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning friends! Wishing you a happy weekend! I am looking forward to Labor Day- a day off to relax. :)

Quotes from The Language of Letting Go (Aug. 30 entry):

"We don't have to do it any better than we can-ever. Do our best for the moment, then let it go.
    If we have to redo it, we can do our best another moment, later.
    There are days when our best is less than we hoped for. Let those times go too. Start over tomorrow. Work things through, until our best becomes better. " <3

LOVE this...thank you from sharing from one of my fave authors. <3

Have a relaxing day off!

I got to know this author because of you!! Thanks so much!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I'm sorry @donimfp I wish you could find some relief without resorting to alcohol 😣 I wish your doctor could have been better help
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    @donimfp Im sorry to hear you struggle with this. I have had it for years and alcohol did aggravate it afterward. I have to sleep with a fan as it somewhat drowns out the ringing. Have you tried that for just some relief?
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    lennoncpa wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I’m so glad I discovered this community support group. I’ve been on MFP for several years and I’ve been sober since June 3, 1982. Although I don’t have the daily struggles with alcohol, it’s never too far away and I respect the power of it and how I could take a drink and totally destroy my life, or even die if I take a drink. My addiction comes out in different ways - food is one of them! But having an addictive personality I get addicted to many things - I need to pay attention to the dangerous things. Some of my addictions are okay - such as line dancing. I know that sounds strange but once I discovered line dancing it has become an obsession of mine.

Glad you found this thread also...I can relate to the "addictive" personality....I envy your addiction to line dancing cause if I could only become addicted to something active it may counteract my addictive foodie behavior!!

Welcome and thanks for sharing. :D
  • lorrainequiche59
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I just saw online that they got rid of "Woo" and will add "disagree" button but of course use not to judge or dislike someone, just a polite disagree with their idea. By the way, I wouldn't use the disagree because I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings. Just my personality type.
    I keep giving my Uber drives a 5 star because I don't want to hurt their feelings. I must get stronger that way and be more honest.

I never noticed that the "woo" is gone till now...good riddance...good idea! Unsure of why they feel the need to replace it with anything. After all, if we disagree with someone, we can just say our version of whatever we don't agree with and leave it at that, but what the heck do I know anyway!
  • lorrainequiche59
    @Donimfp So sorry to hear of your continued struggles with your tinnitus. If I could give you courage to face it without alcohol I certainly would. NO judgement here. I can't imagine how annoying that would be. I do have confidence though that you will work this out and find a way to cope with it. Have you ever done "guided" mindfulness meditation? I'm wondering if you could find a guided one online with someone who has a soothing voice that could lull you to sleep? Hoping the best for you and please know that you have valid reasons to vent it out, complain, however you prefer to refer to it...that's what this space is for. Support!! <3
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Thanks @JenT304. Enjoy your vacation
  • RubyRed427
    I hope this link posts alright, me and technology don't always go well..😄 I found this story really shocking and eye opening about how devastating alcohol can be on the human body. I like the guys honestly about what he went through, it makes me want to avoid alcohol even more!
    https://www.thefix.com/body-horror-slow-process-falling-apart-alcoholism

I just read this. Oh my! How disturbing, how real, how shocking... this is extremely important read for people like me/us. I was shaking as I read it but because of fear. Thank you for sharing this. <3
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning friends, Feeling FooFoo,I think alot of us didn't start out at that level of abuse bit the sad part is that alcohol abuse is progressive,when I first started drinking I was in my early 30's and would drink 1-2 Heineken beers to fall asleep,it worked a treat and I thought I found a cure for my insomnia I was just smug about it,3 years later and I was drinking every night but still able to get up and function at work and life,2 years later I was basically drinking all day everyday cuz I was having a hard time coping sober,my hands would shake,I'd throw up unless I had some alcohol in me, not saying that everyone gets to that level just pointing out that I didn't start off right out the gate being a wild boozehound I just evolved into one,RubyRed what A.D did you start if you don't mind me asking? I swore I'd never take one again but I do have some Lexapro that's been beckoning cuz it seems my anxiety has been on turbo mode lately and my natural supps aren't doing much😭 I just worry constantly and work myself up too much and it's making me unable to cope sometimes,I NEVER want to drink again so yeah I'm about to go the med route I think even though I reaaallly didn't want to,waves to the gang and wishes for a great AF day,I'm off to California this afternoon so if you don't hear much outta me I'm actually enjoying life haha🌺
  • RubyRed427
    edited September 2019
    Good morning! Not doing well here. Alcohol intake zero. But sleep medicine doest work ; one night it did, the others nights it caused worse insomnia. Interestingly the sleep med also is used to stop alcohol cravings.

Second, the antidepressants are making me jittery more than normal. I think I'm going to stop it; it has only been a week taking them. Ok. Now have to get back to basics. And just chill and not let my mind go crazy.

Will try to regroup this weekend. I have a sore throat which interestingly enough can be side effect from sleep med. But I think my sore throat is from my students who are sick. Sorry to be a downer. Will try to change my attitude today. Hugs to all!! xoxox