Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Emotional Support Dog at the Gym

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    For everyone's reading pleasure, the ADA requirements for service animals... (FYI, support animal =/= service animal)

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

qq1bamufigeb.jpg

This case would seem to fall under the animal being out of control and the handler not taking action to control it. It seems to me that according to this document the business can legally ask the handler to control the dog or leave the place of business.

Also, wasn't the animal in question identified as an emotional support animal, which wouldn't be covered as a service animal under the ADA anyway?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    For everyone's reading pleasure, the ADA requirements for service animals... (FYI, support animal =/= service animal)

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

qq1bamufigeb.jpg

This case would seem to fall under the animal being out of control and the handler not taking action to control it. It seems to me that according to this document the business can legally ask the handler to control the dog or leave the place of business.

Also, wasn't the animal in question identified as an emotional support animal, which wouldn't be covered as a service animal under the ADA anyway?

The staff member behind the counter said she was told it was an emotional support animal.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Since this is about emotional support animals, I have a question: a friend of mine has recently had some major issues, and her therapist recommended she get an emotional support animal as she responds well to cats especially. However, her lease for her apartment says no pets. If its something that is "prescribed" by her psychiatrist, does she have any legal ground in being able to have the lease changed? And if she does, is there help she can get to help pay for the extra terms, such as an added pet deposit or pet rent per month?
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    if it had been a service animal , maybe? but an emotional support animal is not covered under ADA. unless she has a really nice landlord i think shes out of luck
  • jamesnewberrysr
    jamesnewberrysr Posts: 13 Member
    It seems this is just another case of "rules are fo r others" You can define this dog as anything you want. The gm should have a policy, so that members can choose to quit and demand a refund of dues if policy is violated.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Since this is about emotional support animals, I have a question: a friend of mine has recently had some major issues, and her therapist recommended she get an emotional support animal as she responds well to cats especially. However, her lease for her apartment says no pets. If its something that is "prescribed" by her psychiatrist, does she have any legal ground in being able to have the lease changed? And if she does, is there help she can get to help pay for the extra terms, such as an added pet deposit or pet rent per month?

This is a fair housing act issue, not an ADA issue in your friends case. There's more info on that here (question 35 specifically) and here. Ultimately she would likely be able to have an emotional support animal. She would need to contact HUD to see if charging her a pet fee would be legal. If it is she'd need to contact a local organization for help, if one exists.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    At least she didn't bring a miniature horse...which currently have an ADA status as follows:
    In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

OMG miniature horse!!! If that was brought anywhere near me i'd be that person who was all "OMG HOW CUUUTEEE" and wanting to pet it even if it had the vest saying "don't pet me" (I wouldn't of course, but the desire would be there) and not minding if it sniffed me mid-deadlift.

But horse-loving and jokes aside, not, not even a miniature horse would be the best idea in a gym unless it was on a halter and next to the person and not drinking from the water fountain or being let loose to sniff people's butts.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    When will it end?? Emotional support horse on a commercial airplane filght
  • ecjim
  • ecjim
  • ecjim
  • ecjim
    When will it end?? Emotional support horse on a commercial airplane flight
  • ecjim
  • ecjim
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I trained a therapy pony. She regularly visited disabled kids and nursing homes.