5k Swimming Challenge

Replies

• VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Holy crap. I think the longest I’ve swum was the 1650 yards in high school. But I guess I did upwards of 5-5.5k (yards) in a single practice some days, and that was 90-120 minutes. Long long long sets of 100’s and 200’s, let me tell you.

I definitely want to work up to a mile or two in a single practice. That’s 1.6-3.2 km. I’m years out of practice and feel like a frail old lady (I’m a 23 yo and not a lady).
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    yay! congrats! if you are considering doing a 5k - i ghighly recommend you look for some Open Water swim training

Thank you, I definitely will. I think it's probably several months into my future, but it hadn't occurred to me until this thread, and now I really like the idea, especially as there's a proper (staffed) open water swim place only about 25 mins from my house! When I can do 2km (80 lengths), I'll go for a visit, that gives me an interim goal and reward :)
  • LeiLaura
    On another note, getting really fed up with going to the local pool(s) to find out they're (a) closed for swimming lessons, (b) closed for a party, (c) closed for staff training, (d) roped off for aqua aerobics, or (e) just too damn busy to swim a length, never mind 40! This morning (8.30am!), I thought it would be quiet because the kids are back at school. Didn't factor in the retired folk - about 30 in the pool, and nobody seemed willing to stay to one side and let the length swimmers (7 of us!) have the other. Got out more stressed than I got in (another vote for open water swimming on that score!). I know it's a public pool, but I just can't rely on it being possible, and it's not open straight after work when I need it most. For all those reasons, I'm joining my local Bannatynes gym tomorrow, and I can't wait. It's not the cheapest way to swim, but it's only £17 a month more than the local Council fitness pass I was going to get, and it's open from 7am to 9pm daily. I've been a few times as a visitor on spa days, and it's lovely. As swimming is as much about my mental health and wellbeing as it is exercise for me, I think it'll tick all the boxes and improve my experience as I work up to open swimming. I can't wait - roll on tomorrow!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Unfortunately what you just described is the bane to most lap swimmers...I plowed into a kid last weekend when I was doing sprints because he had gotten in the lap lane and wasn’t paying any attention
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure you're right! I worked out today that it would take me 200 minutes, assuming I didn't lose pace through fatigue! Maths never was my strong point :)

As your time in the water increases beyond 90 minutes or so, you'd probably benefit from taking in both hydration and nutrition during your swim to help maintain performance.

If you're in a pool, no problem, since you can store items on deck. If you choose to do an open water swim, then towing a floating buoy will allow you to store liquids and calories. :)

It will also make you significantly more visible to other people who are sharing that body of water water with you which is a rather important safety issue. From a rowing shell, swimmers without buoys frequently don't actually look like people at first and thus don't look like things to be avoided.

You should also wear a brightly coloured swim cap as the float trails you by a metre or so.
  • LeiLaura
    Unfortunately what you just described is the bane to most lap swimmers...I plowed into a kid last weekend when I was doing sprints because he had gotten in the lap lane and wasn’t paying any attention

I feel your pain. Literally :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    On another note, getting really fed up with going to the local pool(s) to find out they're (a) closed for swimming lessons, (b) closed for a party, (c) closed for staff training, (d) roped off for aqua aerobics, or (e) just too damn busy to swim a length, never mind 40! This morning (8.30am!), I thought it would be quiet because the kids are back at school. Didn't factor in the retired folk - about 30 in the pool, and nobody seemed willing to stay to one side and let the length swimmers (7 of us!) have the other. Got out more stressed than I got in (another vote for open water swimming on that score!). I know it's a public pool, but I just can't rely on it being possible, and it's not open straight after work when I need it most. For all those reasons, I'm joining my local Bannatynes gym tomorrow, and I can't wait. It's not the cheapest way to swim, but it's only £17 a month more than the local Council fitness pass I was going to get, and it's open from 7am to 9pm daily. I've been a few times as a visitor on spa days, and it's lovely. As swimming is as much about my mental health and wellbeing as it is exercise for me, I think it'll tick all the boxes and improve my experience as I work up to open swimming. I can't wait - roll on tomorrow!

Does your local pool not have dedicated lane swim times? Maybe I'm just lucky but the pool I go to has adult lane swimming ( 6 lanes 2 each of slow, medium & fast) Mon Wed Fri & Sat at 6AM for almost 2 hours and then open lane swimming in the evenings..... I don't go in the evenings cause of the kids.
  • deannalfisher

Does your local pool not have dedicated lane swim times? Maybe I'm just lucky but the pool I go to has adult lane swimming ( 6 lanes 2 each of slow, medium & fast) Mon Wed Fri & Sat at 6AM for almost 2 hours and then open lane swimming in the evenings..... I don't go in the evenings cause of the kids.

mine has lane time - but its only 2 lanes and then the rest of the pool is open for kids (local high schools have the publically accessible pools)
  • LeiLaura

mine has lane time - but its only 2 lanes and then the rest of the pool is open for kids (local high schools have the publically accessible pools)

Pretty much this, but only when I'm at work! On the rare occasions the lane gone and I coincide, it's 2 lanes for about 6 people. It's so frustrating.
  • LeiLaura

Pretty much this, but only when I'm at work! On the rare occasions the lane gone and I coincide, it's 2 lanes for about 6 people. It's so frustrating.

*the lanes and I
  • LeiLaura
    Well, I'm seeing progress. This week, I got down from 1km in 27 mins to 20 mins, and I got my new distance record of 50 lengths (previous was 40, ie 1km). I'm feeling stronger, less tired (I can maintain my pace to the end now) and I've dropped a swimsuit size :) The pool at my new gym has really helped this week. It can still be busy at times, but they have a lane system that people seem to actually follow, and on my morning off it's practically empty - a swimmer's dream :) I'm also loving the jacuzzi and relaxation room. Best decision ever! Today, I'm going to try out my new waterproof mp3 player and ring finger length counter. Could use some advice on keeping my hair dry while I swim, though! I tried a fancy new swimming cap yesterday that's supposed not to leak, but my hair was wet when I took it off. I wouldn't care, but my hair is coloured and just one month of regular swimming has about killed it. I'm thinking of getting it chopped off, it's that dry. Hey ho.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Swim caps actually aren't really meant to keep your hair dry. They are meant to keep it out of your face, out of the pool filters and make you more hydrodynamic. The best way to protect your hair is to use something like AquaGuard in your hair before putting your cap on or use a shampoo and conditioner that helps neutralize it after you swim. Some people also say that rinsing your hair through with fresh water before you put your cap on can help to keep the chlorinated water from absorbing in your hair as much. Good job on the improvements by the way! :)

https://www.amazon.com/AquaGuard-Pre-Swim-Hair-Defense-Bottle/dp/B01BMYYHAG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=WTDJ9NHR5P2V&keywords=aquaguard+pre+swim+hair+defense&qid=1567532843&s=gateway&sprefix=aquagua,aps,167&sr=8-3&th=1
  • LeiLaura
    Swim caps actually aren't really meant to keep your hair dry. They are meant to keep it out of your face, out of the pool filters and make you more hydrodynamic. The best way to protect your hair is to use something like AquaGuard in your hair before putting your cap on or use a shampoo and conditioner that helps neutralize it after you swim. Some people also say that rinsing your hair through with fresh water before you put your cap on can help to keep the chlorinated water from absorbing in your hair as much. Good job on the improvements by the way! :)

https://www.amazon.com/AquaGuard-Pre-Swim-Hair-Defense-Bottle/dp/B01BMYYHAG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=WTDJ9NHR5P2V&keywords=aquaguard+pre+swim+hair+defense&qid=1567532843&s=gateway&sprefix=aquagua,aps,167&sr=8-3&th=1

Thank you so much for the support and the hair advice! I'll go straight to Amazon and look that up :)
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Some people also say that rinsing your hair through with fresh water before you put your cap on can help to keep the chlorinated water from absorbing in your hair as much.

I do this, plus I have a coconut oil and an argan oil light hair spray for after showering. Change it up each day lol.

That is an awesome time win as well! congrats! :D
  • deannalfisher
    i stopped coloring my hair when i start swimming heavily for the season
  • LeiLaura
    Just adding that I made a new personal record today - 60 laps / 1.5km. Slowly building up to 2km. I'm no longer exhausted by the end, just a bit jelly like with tired eyes (must get goggles). It's progress.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    awesome work!

-yes, get goggles!! :p
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    :# No goggles??!! Change that fast!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Ugh! How do you swim that far without goggles! My nose piece broke halfway through my swim one day and I was like "Welp, I guess I am done for the day!". :p Moral of the story...have a backup pair. ;)
    I bet your times get even better once you grab some!
  • LeiLaura
    Ugh! How do you swim that far without goggles! My nose piece broke halfway through my swim one day and I was like "Welp, I guess I am done for the day!". :p Moral of the story...have a backup pair. ;)
    I bet your times get even better once you grab some!

Lol, you're all right, the reason I *had* to stop last time was my eyes hurting, and they weren't right for about 12 hours afterwards! Will have a concerted look for them in the morning before my next swim :)